share rss forum feed

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to I AM

Re: The future of Gaming? PC or Console?

What is going on here?

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4

said by Jobbie:

What is going on here?

IDK. Off work today. I been gaming all day.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

I am always late to the good threads man.

What are playing on PC or Console?
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
reply to TheThing

The "supposed" cost barrier is an illusion. Consoles are not cheaper when you total in everything.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

said by TheThing:

The "supposed" cost barrier is an illusion. Consoles are not cheaper when you total in everything.

They do offer better performance for the money. No $250 computer can run The Witcher 2 at the same settings an Xbox 360 can, even if the xbox will never attain high FSAA/ubersampling/SSAO/etc.

So no, it's not an illusion.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to I AM

said by I AM:

The only thing PC gamers wish they had was the selection choices of console games.

The PC has a far larger selection of games than any console though.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Krisnatharok

Thats what happens when MS can get better deals on hardware because of buying in bulk, and (at least at the start of the generation) sells hardware at a loss.

But why anyone would want to play the witcher2 at settings as low as the 360 does is beyond me.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·WIND Mobile

said by me1212:

But why anyone would want to play the witcher2 at settings as low as the 360 does is beyond me.

It beats not playing Witcher 2 at all
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
reply to me1212

said by me1212:

said by I AM:

The only thing PC gamers wish they had was the selection choices of console games.

The PC has a far larger selection of games than any console though.

True. I should say we envy some of the franchises.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

Now that I can agree with.

@El Quintron true, but I've heard from friends who played it on the 360, the 360 has a decent bit of bugs and just isn't as good as the pc version.

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA

One other thing consoles can't touch. Modding. The modding ability/community is awesome in PC gaming.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

True dat. Heck one of my best friends is a die hard console gamer(he doesn't dislike pcs he just prefers consoles because its what his stay at home dad, his siblings, and he played together before his parents got divorced) yet he still only plays TES on pcs because of mods.

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Krisnatharok

IMO consoles cheaper is an illusion

add in all the games you have to pay $60 for... some of which have 60 hours play time?

add in buying 2-3 consoles over the life of one PC?

i build a 600 PC, play F2P games for 5 years

vs. I buy 2 consoles over 5 years and 20 games?

how is that cheaper? so a console can play a game a bit better graphics wise?

while i get 2000 hours of free game play on PC... ill take PC any day

the real metric is cost / entertainment hours... where PC crushes consoles all day

and cost / unique entertainment hours... PC obliterates console

and PC is a multitasking work horrse on top of it

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA

NOOOO THHIINNGGG!!! Do not use logic!! Consoles! The masses do not want to hear this.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to TheThing

Don't forget the failure rate of consoles, seriously some people bought 3 or 4 360s this gen because of the RROD. Just think what kinds of pc(and upgrades) you could have gotten for that much.

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast

when I played Skyrim I laughed...

soo many people... "OMG skyrim on console is awesome"...

really? after massive MMORPGs, I felt depressed after 2 hours of console skyrim gameplay... and felt sorry for the people playing it on console

sorry for them for what they missing in PC universe, crushes skyrim

once you go PC you can't go back

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

add in all the games you have to pay $60 for... some of which have 60 hours play time?

the real metric is cost / entertainment hours... where PC crushes consoles all day

+ network connection costs for some consoles (a big WTF people?)
--
~ Project Hope ~

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV

said by EUS:

said by TheThing:

+ network connection costs for some consoles (a big WTF people?)

Are you talking about Xbox Live subscriptions? If so, then yeah, those are something like 60 dollars per year.

That's a whole full price game! Or several on PC, haha.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to TheThing

Only thing I wish I could get on PC are console only games like Ratchet and Clank and God of War.

If I could get those on my PC, I'd be happier then a pig in shit.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

1 edit
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

New AAA releases on PC are just as expensive, and you're lucky to get 20 hours out of a new game nowadays. The used game market for consoles is also something that doesn't exist on PCs, thanks to the likes of Steam and Origin.

said by TheThing:

Look buddy, I am one of the biggest PC fanboys out there, but this is a losing line of reasoning. One un-upgraded PC will not exceed 2-3 console generations.

The Xbox 360 you bought 5+ years ago is just as good as the Xbox 360 you bought yesterday. Meanwhile, the computer you bought 5 years ago (a C2D with a GT 250, if a $600 budget), won't play crap today.

said by TheThing:

You're purposefully skewing the argument onto ground where the value of the PC exceeds that of the console (F2P MOBAs and MMOs). Which is one limited market segment. If LoL has 92,000 - 250,000 active players, each copy of COD sells tens of millions.

Anyways, I can't believe I am defending consoles here, but these are shitty arguments, and are equivalent to the COD nerdraging virgins that ignorantly make fun of PCs.

A prospective gamer probably doesn't care that a PC can "play" Microsoft Word. Gaming is the end-all/be-all of how a platform is evaluated in this topic. Consoles are also increasing their utility in this regard through Netflix and Amazon Instant video. I suspect consoles will survive by following Sony's lead in making the console also the living room media center (video-over-internet, DVD/blu-ray, social media integration, etc.).
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to TheThing

Both platforms have got their Pros and Cons.

I just happen to prefer PC a lot more now.

Here's a question for all of you...

If Steam/Origin were never concieved, do you think PC would be in as strong of a position as it is now?

TheThing

1 edit
reply to TheThing

TheThing

reply to TheThing

steam doesn't matter... i don't even use it

TheThing

1 edit
reply to TheThing

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

said by TheThing:

who plays consoles?

Blue collar, beer drinkin, flannel wearin, pickup truck drivin guys... who don't have time, or understand PCs

but have time to buy a dog when they already don't have enough tiem with their kids

gonna buy me a game of madden... drink some beer and beat my wife... ignore the kids.. and take the dog for a walk

thread degeneration complete.

Looks like there are stupid arguments for both platforms.
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

who plays consoles?

Blue collar, beer drinkin, flannel wearin, pickup truck drivin guys... who don't have time, or understand PCs

but have time to buy a dog when they already don't have enough tiem with their kids

gonna buy me a game of madden... drink some beer and beat my wife... ignore the kids.. and take the dog for a walk

W.T.F?

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
reply to TheThing

I am a recent PC convert, and I think both will be viable for a while. Like others, I have had consoles since I was a little kid, as that is what my parents bought me. I owned an Atari, all the Nintendos, all the Segas (except Dreamcast), all the Playstations and X Boxes over the years. I am not a technical PC building whiz like some of you so I can't speak to individual parts and builds with any great detail.

Pros as I see them for gaming on a PC:

1. PC exclusive (or near exclusive) games and genres. RTS, F2P, MMO, MOBA. Great gaming that most console only fans have very little experience with. Coming from a guy that played exclusively on consoles up until recently, it really is a different world. I am having a blast.

2. Superior tech and performance. Brand new console games look like garbage to me now. You can upgrade piecemeal and customize to your heart's content to ensure your games are always running and looking their best.

3. Steam sales. 'Nuff said. I was talking to a guy in the console forum the other day and he was comparing sales at brick and mortar console game stores to the Steam sales. No comparison.

Pros as I see them for gaming on a console:

1. It's easy. You buy a console and every game developed for that console is guaranteed to work the first time, every time. You don't have to worry about upgrading anything to make sure the newest game works. No getting that game and getting an 'error 32' for the first couple days. No GFWL.

2. It's easy. Most console gamers don't know the first thing about building gaming PCs. If they did, they'd be PC gamers. You can pick up a console anywhere.

3. Console exclusive games. I have loved many console games over the years (like Red Dead Redemption) that you can't experience on console.

Bottom line:

I am primarily a PC gamer now but I like to have the option to play anything that might interest me so I'll probably continue to be a PC AND console gamer. If it's a multiplat I'll most likely pick it up on PC as long as it's not a horrible port.

That said I haven't seen the next gen consoles yet so this is subject to change. They could suck.

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to TheThing

the future is 100% digital (no boxes for games, no running to the store, no DVDs, no blurays), 100% one unit in your living room that connects to your TV that does everything... not a few

anything else is the console industry capitalizing on the ignorance of the masses

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to bionicRod

Thanks for a reasonable approach to the topic. I think you encapsulated it well without insulting or viewing through rose-colored glasses either side.
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·WIND Mobile
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

If Steam/Origin were never concieved, do you think PC would be in as strong of a position as it is now?

Hell No.

If Steam/Origin/GOG had not come around, PCs would still be regarded (even moreso) as a vehicle for piracy by the usual suspects and would probably be neglected for games other than MMOs.

I think Steam deserves some serious kudos for creating a platform that really plays to the PC's strenghts.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have