uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to TheThing

Re: The future of Gaming? PC or Console?

Both platforms have got their Pros and Cons.

I just happen to prefer PC a lot more now.

Here's a question for all of you...

If Steam/Origin were never concieved, do you think PC would be in as strong of a position as it is now?

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to TheThing

TheThing

reply to TheThing

steam doesn't matter... i don't even use it

TheThing

1 edit
reply to TheThing

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

said by TheThing:

who plays consoles?

Blue collar, beer drinkin, flannel wearin, pickup truck drivin guys... who don't have time, or understand PCs

but have time to buy a dog when they already don't have enough tiem with their kids

gonna buy me a game of madden... drink some beer and beat my wife... ignore the kids.. and take the dog for a walk

thread degeneration complete.

Looks like there are stupid arguments for both platforms.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

who plays consoles?

Blue collar, beer drinkin, flannel wearin, pickup truck drivin guys... who don't have time, or understand PCs

but have time to buy a dog when they already don't have enough tiem with their kids

gonna buy me a game of madden... drink some beer and beat my wife... ignore the kids.. and take the dog for a walk

W.T.F?

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
reply to TheThing

I am a recent PC convert, and I think both will be viable for a while. Like others, I have had consoles since I was a little kid, as that is what my parents bought me. I owned an Atari, all the Nintendos, all the Segas (except Dreamcast), all the Playstations and X Boxes over the years. I am not a technical PC building whiz like some of you so I can't speak to individual parts and builds with any great detail.

Pros as I see them for gaming on a PC:

1. PC exclusive (or near exclusive) games and genres. RTS, F2P, MMO, MOBA. Great gaming that most console only fans have very little experience with. Coming from a guy that played exclusively on consoles up until recently, it really is a different world. I am having a blast.

2. Superior tech and performance. Brand new console games look like garbage to me now. You can upgrade piecemeal and customize to your heart's content to ensure your games are always running and looking their best.

3. Steam sales. 'Nuff said. I was talking to a guy in the console forum the other day and he was comparing sales at brick and mortar console game stores to the Steam sales. No comparison.

Pros as I see them for gaming on a console:

1. It's easy. You buy a console and every game developed for that console is guaranteed to work the first time, every time. You don't have to worry about upgrading anything to make sure the newest game works. No getting that game and getting an 'error 32' for the first couple days. No GFWL.

2. It's easy. Most console gamers don't know the first thing about building gaming PCs. If they did, they'd be PC gamers. You can pick up a console anywhere.

3. Console exclusive games. I have loved many console games over the years (like Red Dead Redemption) that you can't experience on console.

Bottom line:

I am primarily a PC gamer now but I like to have the option to play anything that might interest me so I'll probably continue to be a PC AND console gamer. If it's a multiplat I'll most likely pick it up on PC as long as it's not a horrible port.

That said I haven't seen the next gen consoles yet so this is subject to change. They could suck.

TheThing

reply to TheThing

the future is 100% digital (no boxes for games, no running to the store, no DVDs, no blurays), 100% one unit in your living room that connects to your TV that does everything... not a few

anything else is the console industry capitalizing on the ignorance of the masses

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to bionicRod

Thanks for a reasonable approach to the topic. I think you encapsulated it well without insulting or viewing through rose-colored glasses either side.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

If Steam/Origin were never concieved, do you think PC would be in as strong of a position as it is now?

Hell No.

If Steam/Origin/GOG had not come around, PCs would still be regarded (even moreso) as a vehicle for piracy by the usual suspects and would probably be neglected for games other than MMOs.

I think Steam deserves some serious kudos for creating a platform that really plays to the PC's strenghts.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to bionicRod

said by bionicRod:

That said I haven't seen the next gen consoles yet so this is subject to change. They could suck.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing all the new console entrants; namely Ouya, Sheild and Steambox (technically a PC, but competing with the consoles)

This could mean more open consoles and some diversity in the market, I'm not planning on getting a next gen Xbox or PS, but I might get one of the above.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

once you go BLACK you can't go back

FTFY

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

the future is 100% digital (no boxes for games, no running to the store, no DVDs, no blurays), 100% one unit in your living room that connects to your TV that does everything... not a few

anything else is the console industry capitalizing on the ignorance of the masses

From what I've read recently, that is a ways off. There are nearly 10 million homes [more or less] that can't get broadband service. Sure they could go satellite, but is that really broadband?

One article said that Sony and Microsoft had considered going digital only. But then they realized that there were still plenty of people without decent Internet speeds. Also the fact that many service providers place caps on how much you download per month.

So going 100% digital is still off n the future, but how far off is anyones guess.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to bionicRod

I agree, but as I lack the funds to continuously update my PC every year or so, I tend to stick to a console for my game needs.

Keeping a PC in gaming shape costs money. I used to do it, buy new hard drives, new video cards, more ram. But then I ran out of a job, and ran out of money.
Currently I have two 5 year old PCs that can only run World of Warcraft on low settings. My windows box has a hard time doing even that. Where as my linux box seems to have little issue with it. [Yes, you can run WOW on linux].

Both PCs need to hit the junk heap, but I need to gather some cash before doing so. I am deciding on either building another box, or buying a mid range laptop [mid range 400 to 500 bucks].
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to El Quintron

quote:
I think Steam deserves some serious kudos for creating a platform that really plays to the PC's strenghts.

Agreed. Though when the steam box hits, that may change. Though you do have gamefly [they offer a digital download service], and EA's Origin. As well as other publishers that allow you to buy directly from their web site.
--

TheThing

reply to Snakeoil

if you are strapped for cash:

there has to be a real requirement for getting a laptop instead of a desktop... there has to be a real "need" and not a "want"... a need would be "I need it for work" a need would NOT be "I want to be lazy and game on my couch"

for $600 you can build an AMD system with a great graphics card that can play pretty much everthing close to ultra...

adjust your gaming expectations a bit... and you can be all set for the next 5 years and not pay a dime for a game... but don't expect to play games like Crysis 3 on ultra

$600 for 5 years of gaming? no upgrades...sounds good to me...

the free to play games coming are no joke... and you will not have to spend a dime... Firefall, Planetside2, Marvel Heroes, League of Legends, Smite, Blacklight Retribution, World of Tanks, the list goes on FOREVER

and if you really need to splurge you have steam

what have I spent money on besies my system... Guild Wars 2$60... Path of Exile beta early access $10... Firefall early access $20...

besides GW2, I could of waited on the others and just gotten in for free

build a machine for $600... and your next 5 years are on the house.. you can move it to your living room, and hook up hdmi to TV if you REALLY miss the console living room experience

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

Thing is though, there are very few games that I want to play on the PC.

All I currently play is WOW and minecraft. I'd like to play Rift, and maybe Defiance [though that is hitting the console market as well].
Maybe UO, if I decide to return to it, and Vendetta online, again, if I decide to return to it.

But other then that, there isn't much in the way of new games I'm interested in playing.
I've played with one free to play game, DDO [Dungeons and Dragons Online], I was impressed with it's quality. But then again, my PC "choked' running even it.

As I have tablet devices, I really don't need a laptop. Hence I am thinking that for 300-400 bucks, I could build an updated PC using parts I already have.
Though it'll be a pain in the ass reinstalling Windows Vista [If I were to buy Win 8, my build cost increases]. Or I could just go linux 100%. And there are a handful of games [well more then a handful] that work fine on linux. Plus steam is porting games to linux.
--

TheThing

we are going to have to take up a collection to get you from 400 to 600 for that new system... its worth it!

want to be overwhelmed with how many F2P games are out there? youtube "mmobomb" and "mmohut"

that is why I said I don't even use steam... maybe steam is helping the F2P market, if it is, then thank you steam!

but you don't even need to touch steam

you can get lost in games like Runes of Magic, Allods, etc...

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Snakeoil

Why would you update a pc every year? Get a cpu lasts 3 or 4, gpu 2 or 3. HDD usually 4 or 5 but stuff happens. Heck I know a guy who still uses a 460, sure it cant max out 1080p, but it can play 1080p and decent settings.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

Thanks to what I learned with Win Vista, I stopped the upgrade cycle. Vista complained when ever I changed a board. And I would have to reinstall Vista.

But anyhow, to keep "current" the only thing I'd change before buying a new PC would be video card and/or ram.
The video cards in my 2 PCs or 9600GTs.
The amount of ram in both boxes is 2 GB, which is all the mobo will accept.
A mistake I made when purchasing the mobo.

The CPUs are sluggish by todays standards.
One is a Amd Quadccore 9650
The other a dual core Amd 62 X2 3600+

But they did ok for a while, back when they were new.
But the first thing I would have changed would have been the mobo. I would have changed that out for one that would have taken more ram.
Then the video card.
But the cpu I would have left alone.
--

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

Ah, yes the mobo not taking more RAM would limit you. I assume the mobos dont allow for overclock ether?

I can kinda see why one would upgrade a lot of the mobo kept forcing it.

CPU isn't that big a deal if OC'd, heck the guy with the 460 I know used a c2d e6600 at 3.9ghz until this summer when microcenter had a sale and he got a 2500k mobo that allowes ocing and 8GB ddr3 for $280-ish.

Don't have to spend enormous amounts of money, just get enough for a few years and call it good bit by bit.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
reply to Ghastlyone

I gave my xbox to my step-son about 2 years ago...haven't gamed on a console since.

The price argument is pretty pointless, since you're going to end up paying roughly the same amount for a console as you do a pc.

Just think:

xbox 360 elite ~$300
a second, third, and fourth controller ~$50-$150
2 or 3 games ~$120-$180 (let's face it, COD and Madden basically dominate console sales)
xbox live sub ~$7/mo.

That's roughly $600 start up cost excluding a television and isp costs, just so you can play the world's most popular football game or fps with 3 of your buddies online.

But to agree with several of you, the future is digital...I'll stick to my
PC, if only to avoid this situation:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zvTRQr7ns8

Damn GameCube...
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM

1 recommendation

reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

who plays consoles?

Holy shit, dude. Really?

I own and play on my Xbox360 from time to time because Forza isn't available on the PC platform. I've been around computers for over 20 years, have been building / repairing them for 15, been in IT professionally for around 5 and I hold a current CompTIA A+ certification. I own a console, and have owned quite a few in the past 2 decades, yet I still manage to understand PC's to a substantial degree.

Your mind must be blown.
--
I'll be stretching out the rhyme like gravity stretches time.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

I can't tell if he's an intellectual lightweight or just a really bad troll.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to McBrain

300 + 150 + 180 + 7 = 637. Yeah you can get a decent gaming pc(windows and KB+M included in price). Then hook it up to the same tv you would a console, download black mesa source, tf2, planet side 2, lol, spiral knights, GZdoom, the gpl version of railway tycoon(STFU, I LOVE trains), and any of the f2p games here »store.steampowered.com/genre/Fre···_4_4__12

Then once the sales start up you are saving money.

TheThing

1 edit
reply to Krisnatharok

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA

There is one genre which consoles can't touch. MMO's. The depth of MMO games are far greater than any console game.

But each has a bright future. What I don't get is why can't someone (or microsoft) make an emulator for us to play xbox games on a PC. Can't be that hard right?

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state

1 recommendation

said by I AM:

But each has a bright future. What I don't get is why can't someone (or microsoft) make an emulator for us to play xbox games on a PC.

Microsoft wants you to buy an XBox.

Grimm

join:2011-05-23
reply to TheThing

If I had to choose, toss me into the crowd that thinks Console, however I think they both have their places as has been touched on already.

Where I think console comes out ahead is that it caters to the casual much more than the PC.

Me personally: I sit at a desk on a computer all day everyday at work. When I come home, I have VERY LITTLE want to do the same thing to game, so I pick up my 360 controller and either play a game or watch me some netflix/hbo go while lounging on my couch. With the way this world is going with more and more people sitting at a PC all day at work, I know for a fact I'm not the only one who feels that way.

This forum is a little biased(lol durr) but there are more people out there who would rather just pick up and play than who would want to go through the hassle of configuring everything a PC. Whether or not its easy to do is besides the point. People have enough on their minds and the reality is is that for most, it's one more thing they don't want to tackle if they don't have to.

Edit: Also, I drink beer, don't wear flannel, don't drive a pickup, and don't beat my non-existant wife

--
Slydermv--In short.. hookers save lives.

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA

2 edits

said by Grimm:

Edit: Also, I drink beer, don't wear flannel, don't drive a pickup, and don't beat my non-existant wife

SS or it didn't happen.

Edit: Also only a dumb comment PC gamers say. Because on console you cannot SS!