uniqs
share rss forum feed

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to bemis

Re: Google Fiber and oversubscribing

The Internet itself is oversubscribed. Most providers probably do not work on a ratio system but rather by monitoring utilization of links. At a cable provider, a given segment may have 250 subscribers but if the utilization stays below certain thresholds (say 70%) they're fine. Both Google Fiber and any other ISP would also have to monitor utilization on their uplinks to the general Internet, again using a percentage of capacity used. Good providers add additional capacity as sustained utilization occurs, others are a bit slower to increase capacity.

bemis

join:2008-07-18
Reading, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast
Right, I'm just thinking of the differences in potential speeds...

If Comcast is selling a range from 16-100Mb/s for downloads, where it's heavily weighted on the slower end, they can make some assumptions about the potential for total bandwidth required to keep their users close to the total bandwidth being sold... and in general that range is considered sustainable for internet connections in general...

1Gb/s on the other hand... that's off the charts fast for many small/medium businesses, let alone a residential user. So I'm just curious if anyone has any insights as to specifically how Google is handling this situation. Are they simply assuming 90% of the sites out there with any significant data to transfer are not going to sustain anything above 30-50Mb/s to a single user? What about torrents? What if they have a few hundred of their users seeding torrents to people out there, they could easy have several hundred Gb/s worth of data to spit out of their network?

I guess what I'm trying to understand is whether the 1Gb/s symmetric connection is more of an "in your face" gimmick for the other ISPs out there, to act as a catalyst for the average user to get 100Mb/s for $100/mo so to speak? We can already see it as caused TW to roll out faster speeds in KC market... Or did they (Google) actually build the infrastructure to genuinely support those levels--and if they did, is it simply unique for their KC test bed, or would they intend to create the same structures elsewhere?

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
I think only time will really tell, right now its all still new so from both a users are probably banging on it good right now and Google wants it to be successful standpoint its well maintained and sufficiently provisioned. A couple of years from now, or in newer markets if they expand, will really tell.