uniqs

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw

Premium Member

[OS X] mac won't remember my wi-fi network

A few weeks ago my wireless network went down and it took some doing to get it to come back. when i opened up my mac book pro, it did not automatically recognize my wireless network like it has in the past. i have tried for week to get it to do it but it won't and it is so frustrating. any idea on how i can get it to remember it so that when i restart or go to sleep that it remembers it when it awakes? my other mac book and ipad, etc. all remember it fine.
modelamac7
join:2002-04-13
Waterford, MI

modelamac7

Have you turned wifi off and on?
Have you restarted your Mac?
Have you started up in Safe ode then restarted normally?

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to obeythelaw

MVM

to obeythelaw
is bluetooth on?

q.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to obeythelaw

Premium Member

to obeythelaw
Click for full size
Remembered Networks List
It has to be on your list to remembered networks. In the System Preferences under Network you select your wireless connection (eg Wi-Fi) and then on the right side at the bottom click Advanced.

If your wireless network is already listed, use the minus button to remove it and then re-add it.

Make sure the box "Remember networks this computer has joined" is checked. In my screenshot it is the checkbox right under the plus sign.

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw

Premium Member

Ok. I removed it from the remember networks and that seems to have done the trick. I have restarted my computer and put it too sleep and it is now "remembering" it.

kerriskandie
join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY

kerriskandie to obeythelaw

to obeythelaw
I believe there is ( somewhere) a documented 'bug' that has been plaguing some ( me included) where your WiFi Network, as selected in System Prefs does get forgotten......conflict with Apple's Bluetooth implementation???...

Mine does it, randomly......I delete the WiFi service....in Prefs then + sign it to make a new one...instantly my WiFi pops back up.....and yes, I have a BT keyboard/mouse so BT is always on......

I can go weeks without a problem...sometimes it will 'lose' Network connection within days......it's VERY random!!........
and, we are NOT talking a weak/compromised Wireless signal here.....I recently changed from a NetGear WNDR4500 to an Asus Dark Knight, and get a phenomenal WiFi range/signal......as reported by istumbler and various other WiFi Apps............

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

Windows does the exact same thing. Might actually be some sort of security feature bug.