All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to elitefx

to elitefx

Re: [The Call] So, I was on the phone with Rogers...

said by elitefx:

The only thing buried here is Gas lines. Everything else is hanging off poles. Hydro on the street and telephone/cable poles in the backyards. Running like a rocket since 1946.

Having stuff underground looks nicer. But those are also areas that will likely never see FTTH either unless its a brand new development from here on out and even then that isn't likely.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by 34764170:

said by elitefx:

The only thing buried here is Gas lines. Everything else is hanging off poles. Hydro on the street and telephone/cable poles in the backyards. Running like a rocket since 1946.

Having stuff underground looks nicer. But those are also areas that will likely never see FTTH either unless its a brand new development from here on out and even then that isn't likely.

Aside from new developments, I don't think we'll see FTTH for existing customers in our lifetime on HFC networks. Coax still has a lot of life in it, and there are various technologies to get HFC to offer the same performance as FTTH.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by yyzlhr:

Aside from new developments, I don't think we'll see FTTH for existing customers in our lifetime on HFC networks. Coax still has a lot of life in it, and there are various technologies to get HFC to offer the same performance as FTTH.

Rogers is already working on FTTH and not using RGoG/DOCSIS. DOCSIS simply cannot handle the upstream speed they want to offer. I also wasn't talking about only Rogers but also Bell. Both of them will continue to invest heavily into DOCSIS/VDSL2 going forward with DOCIS 3.1 and VDSL2 vectoring but both of them have serious limitations.

eeeaddict
join:2010-02-14

eeeaddict

sadly us Etobicoke people will probably never have ftth