Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

need some ideas..

Ok have a basement that gets a little cold in the wintertime. My main desk is down there. For years I had been putting a heater down there with the proper electrical cable and on it's own breaker for years.

part of me wondered... Since I have natural gas going to the furnace down there already, can I get a smaller NG heater for the desk area down there?

Does such a thing even exist?

Again, no heating problems currently, I just figured a more efficient and probably more quicker way to heat. We are not talking a super large space.

I knew they made NG barbeque pits, figured the industry might have something similar for such needs.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
They make wall-mounted NG space heaters. That'd be your best bet. They are very common.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
said by John97:

They make wall-mounted NG space heaters. That'd be your best bet. They are very common.

This one says it doesn't require a vent -- I'd definitely have a carbon monoxide detector in the room with me.

»www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/···od03QAsw

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
said by garys_2k:

I'd definitely have a carbon monoxide detector in the room with me.

I have been replacing the older smoke alarms with carbon monoxide ones slowly but surely. So far I have as least one on the main floor and one in the basement. I plan on putting one on the stairs to the bedroom floor of the house.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
Reviews:
·EarthLink
·Comcast
·Atlantic Nexus
reply to garys_2k
said by garys_2k:

This one says it doesn't require a vent -- I'd definitely have a carbon monoxide detector in the room with me.

I have something very similar in my garage. Different brand but looks the same. Mine is 20,000BTU.

They are 98% efficient and burn clean. I have not seen any without a low O2 sensor.

The main problem with them is they fill the room with moist air. I have never seen condensation in my garage with it as the doors usually leak enough air.

I'd worry about low O2 and high CO2 levels in a closed room though.

A CO detector is a good idea. If I stir up dust, i see the flames turn orange and who knows what the results are.
--
Scott Henion

Embedded Systems Consultant,
SHDesigns home - DIY Welder

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
Good points re. (possible excess) moisture and CO2 when used in a basement room with less "natural" ventilation than a garage. Even if the air's O2 and CO2 are alright, too much humidity could cause condensation and start mold issues.

Maybe run a dehumidifier at the same time? That adds some heat, too...

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1
reply to David
said by David:

basement that gets a little cold in the wintertime ...

I have a suggestion for you that involves no heater at all.

Please have a look at my home office which is in a semi-finished area of the basement and often the warmest area of the whole house. »Re: What does your work space look like?

I just got a new vent installed on the main duct that was going over that area. I have to slide the tab to decrease air flow or else it gets too warm.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to David
There is a couple of ducts near my desk. One mission I am going to do with the upstairs I think is cap off the main duct and use the joists like a channel shaft to deliver heating to both rooms of the upstairs. See if I could create a duct type of system with 2-3 vents in each room. Though that is still a budget ways off yet.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to David
Hot air rises.

More vents to the basement and almost nothing lost.

nocannothave

join:2006-10-14
Kennewick, WA
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to shdesigns
said by shdesigns:

said by garys_2k:

I have something very similar in my garage. Different brand but looks the same. Mine is 20,000BTU.

They are 98% efficient and burn clean. I have not seen any without a low O2 sensor.

The main problem with them is they fill the room with moist air. I have never seen condensation in my garage with it as the doors usually leak enough air.

I'd worry about low O2 and high CO2 levels in a closed room though.

A CO detector is a good idea. If I stir up dust, i see the flames turn orange and who knows what the results are.

Same experience for me. Almost exactly.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA
kudos:6
reply to David
I`ve installed a number of the ProCom heaters, they are pretty good quality...

However, I recommend the blue flame models, as they heat via convection much faster than the radiant panels..

»www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/···00395467

there are different sizes avail depending on your room size, and these heaters have a built in thermostat as well..

As with any vent free heater, they MUST be cleaned yearly with compressed air, or they will start producing CO.

-j
--
if it aint broke, tweak it!!
currently on FiOS (kick aZZ!)