share rss forum feed

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota

1 edit
reply to PSWired

Re: Variable speed drive

Any VFD I know of would be a quite expensive but an upgrade to an ECM blower motor may meet your requirements while not blowing your budget....

quote:
RESCUE EcoTech® - The High Efficiency ECM upgrade for PSC blower motors

The RESCUE EcoTech motor is an ECM replacement for a PSC blower. Exclusive speed-control technology provides the efficiency of an ECM. Installation is a snap. RESCUE EcoTech drops into existing permanent split capacitor (PSC) direct drive blower applications, without complex wiring modifications or time-consuming changes to system controls.

Electronically Controlled Motor (ECM) technology gives RESCUE EcoTech motors up to 82% efficiency, saving 25% or more of the watts in A/C or heating mode and 75% of the watts in circulation mode. Updated designs are now dual voltage (115/230V) and multi-horsepower, so one size, or at most two, fits all your needs.

»www.usmotors.com/Our-Products/HV···cue.aspx

These motors offer soft starting as well as other speed options. The local HVAC supply house has the dual voltage, multi-HP 5552ET direct-drive blower motor priced at $180 so you can probably do better on the 'net somewhere.
--
Zach

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3

said by Zach1:

RESCUE EcoTech® - The High Efficiency ECM upgrade for PSC blower motors

I can definitely vouch for the Rescue Ecotech replacement blower motor. I installed one myself in my air handler and was pleasantly surprised by the soft start and extremely quiet operation. A huge difference in my electric bill also when running the blower 24/7.