spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Samsie
@verizon.net

Samsie

Anon

Fios speed test different results every other speed test

Hello all and thanks for taking the time to read this.
I have noticed my utorrent upload speeds slow to a crawl. (around 50 100kbs) when they used to reach 1.5ish mpbs.
i have verizon fios 25/25mbps internet.
when i test it at verizons broadband tester it says i'm getting 30/30mbps which would be great if not for...
every single other site i go to says i'm getting 30/3mbps.
speakeasy,dslreports,speedtest,broadband.gov, and a few others.

every single site minus verizons says the same thing. 30ish/3ish mpbs. i called verizon and they said to trust their site and no one elses. a tech guy came to my house and replaced the modem, and i'm still getting the same results. i found that weird. i find it hard to believe that all these test sites are saying almost exactly the same thing but i'm supposed to believe only verizons speed test.

what do you think? should i believe verizon and all these other sites are wrong? any ideas of how i can fix this?

samsie
@verizon.net

samsie

Anon

sorry i left his out but i'm hardlined in. no wifi. also hardlined to ps3. no programs running. utorrent wasnt running. nothing to interfere with the testing. i shut my pc down and turned on ps3 and also got a 30/3 ish result through its test to.

my main concern is do you think i'm getting what i'm paying for? i'm afriad its affecting my online gaming and utorrent upload abilities. any ideas?
Morris0
join:2011-05-14

Morris0

There is huge variation in test sites as the paths to them can congest and distance (in number or router hops) matters

Are you aware of the DCMA and 6 strikes and your out?
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane

This is a good indication of bad routing.

Samsie
@verizon.net

Samsie to Morris0

Anon

to Morris0
i believe that 6 strikes is downloading illegal movies, music etc. thats not the case here. i spent some time with a somewhat higher up in fios who walked me through tracer steps to check things. he said i'm getting the speeds i'm paying for and everything seems fine, yet utorrent is still slow, and i still notice random upload issues. all test still read the same but verizons, which still says around 30/30.

what do you mean by bad routing? anyone have any ideas as to how i can fix this? and thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Samsie

Samsie to Morris0

Anon

to Morris0
thinking about it some more i really dont believe its throttling or 6 strikes cause i'm still able to download at 3.6. this is only affecting my upload speeds
smrtech
join:2009-09-21
Springfield, PA

smrtech to Samsie

to Samsie
Never had this inconsistency with Comcast using Speedtest,
it was fairly predictable. Then on VZ it's all over the place...
smrtech

smrtech

Try my Speedwave if you are having issues so
we can at least see if we are getting similar results

»www.speedtest.net/wave/2 ··· 107e3d27

Samsie
@verizon.net

Samsie

Anon

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 4192.png

this was my most recent test. as you can see the 30 down was fine, but my 5 upload is no where close tot he 25 i should be getting.
ScrawnyB
join:2004-05-18
Mechanicsburg, PA

ScrawnyB

Posting mine here too... Pretty consistent (with the small upload variance)... 50/25 with TV here, located near Harrisburg, PA.

To Washington, DC:

To Baltimore (Comcast Server):

To Baltimore (Reliable Hosting):

Samsie
@verizon.net

Samsie

Anon

ScrawnyB i am also near harrisburg. new cumberland to be exact. i'm not 50/25 i'm 25/25 but your test results are very different then mine

as you can see its actually gotten worse. my download speeds are fine but mu upload has become almost nothing

Help!
jcondon
join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY

jcondon

On the Frederick's server I was getting 35/1.5 last night and 38/3 this am from NY. I wouldn't trust their upload as a good test of anything. I am on 50/25 and usually get 30-31 on the upload to a decent server.

I get 28 upload or so to the Reliable hosting server in Baltimore and 31 upload or so to the Comcast server in Balitmore.
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs

I find with torrent software I get better performance after I make sure the program is allowed full access through my firewall on my pc. I don't think I had to do any PF's in my router, so I would check that, and also the utorrent support forums. There are a lot of tweaks you can do to utorrent to make it perform better.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k to Samsie

to Samsie
Guys I can tell you one thing the speedtest.net servers are not always reliable.. I get different results to different sites.

However I have found a website that always gives me accurate results , when speedtest.net gives me 20-30 mbps less

here it is -> post your results!
»spdtst-dlls.tx.centurylink.net/

Last Result:
Download Speed: 83454 kbps (10431.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 35002 kbps (4375.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 23 ms
1/23/2013 7:33:39 PM

jcondon
Fishkill, NY

jcondon

NYC site. 50/25 on my laptop (Wireless)

Last Result:
Download Speed: 49716 kbps (6214.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 37563 kbps (4695.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 41 ms
1/23/2013 8:33:02 PM
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k to Samsie

to Samsie
^you should be hitting full speed on Wired so that that wifi speeds I guess are on 2.4 ghz network
jcondon
Fishkill, NY

jcondon

Yeah 2.4Ghz. If I reboot the wireless router it will be faster for about a day. I am happy with it though the way it is.