Premium
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne

1 edit

Budget build; need advice.

It seemed like only yesterday when I assembled my new build straight from Newegg.

AMD Athlon II x2 240, 2 GB DDR2, 320 GB HD, Windows 7, etc. I upgraded it more and more in small increments, life was good until the board went to crap with capacitor plague, around 5-6 caps.. and 4 GB of ram is really starting to give me a pinch now. So it's time for a new build I suppose. System froze up twice today; second time with a BSOD.

The tasks involved with this machine will be the occasional video edit, occasional low-end gaming, instant messaging, but for the most part lots of web browsing and old school emulators. I also use an older PS/2 keyboard but I can change that too. I'm on a budget of about $250 but I can push slightly more if I really need it. I've already compiled a few sample builds on Newegg but I cannot decide between AMD's FX or Phenom lineup.

Basically, I need a CPU, motherboard, and RAM. That's it. Everything else is covered (Reusing video card, case, keyboard/mouse, reusing Corsair CX430, reusing 1 TB + 320 GB HD, already have copy of Windows 7, etc.)

I keep hearing bad things about AMD's FX and Bulldozer lineup, but the Phenom lineup is supposedly obsolete and outdated? And I'd prefer to stay away from Intel, too pricey. What would you guys recommend?
--
CableOne 10m/1m

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

I know you didn't want Intel, but for that price you can still obtain 1 and have the optional on cpu-gpu. It still would be better than half of the AMD's.

»www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDeal···.1175608

Change still for RAM out of $250
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Pashune

At your pricepoint (~$120 for the CPU), it's a tossup between the FX-4170 and the Intel Core i3-3220. Do note that is the *only* AMD chip that is recommended at any price-point. Intel is more cost effective at every other point.

Intel Core i3-3220 - $130
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···19116775

ASRock Z75 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - $85
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13157304

G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)- $47
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20231546

Odds are you can find 8GB cheaper... this was just a quick power search. Just ensure it's 1600mhz @ 1.5v.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.