camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

FCC calls for gigabit Internet in all 50 states by 2015

All 50 states should have at least one community where consumers can get 1Gbps or faster Internet access by 2015, U.S. Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski said on Friday. Speaking at the U.S. Conference of Mayors Winter Meeting in Washington, D.C., he called the new push for fast networks the Gigabit City Challenge.

»www.computerworld.com/s/ ··· _by_2015

I nominate Comcast's Danbury market area for Connecticut's gigabit community.

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35

Anon

Hehe, lower Fairfield County, you guys are too far apart up there ;p Better to do it down here, nice houses and sidewalks to dig up here

Would love to have 1Gbps not cuz I need it but just to give me the feeling I had back in 1998 when I got 8Mbps internet while everyone still had 56K. It wasn't a bragging thing, it was more like, "damn.... I can download the whole internet right now" since back then most sites were light on graphics.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to camper

to camper
That sounds extremely easy to accomplish.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by Moffetts:

That sounds extremely easy to accomplish.

Yup. Truth be told, I suspect that Comcast is already close to delivering gigabit per second speeds to my house (they may already be there). It is just that the bandwidth is measured differently because of the anchor of legacy cable TV delivery.

Comparing doughnuts to doughnuts, when google boasts of gigabit delivery, does that include the bandwidth needed to deliver TV channels? Or does google deliver full gigabit for Internet access? Does one, as a google customer, use ones allocation of gigabit services for TV viewing? If so, how does that affect ones internet bandwidth?

Comcast delivers dozens of HD channels to my home simultaneously. While I have not added up the individual bandwidths to determine the full capability of what the actual bandwidth Comcast can deliver to my house, I suspect that Comcast is not showing its hand in this matter
camper

camper to SHoTTa35

Premium Member

to SHoTTa35
> Hehe, lower Fairfield County, you guys are too far apart up there

Yeah. I've been to southern Fairfield county and talked with the Cablevision customers at parties I've attended. I would love to see Comcast treating ts customers as well as Cablevision appears to treat its customers.

But good luck with the gigabit stuff. Money cannot buy everything..... Southern Fairfield county is way too expensive for folk who want to use gigabit Internet for business startups.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to camper

Premium Member

to camper
said by camper:

All 50 states should have at least one community where consumers can get 1Gbps or faster Internet access by 2015, U.S. Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski said on Friday. Speaking at the U.S. Conference of Mayors Winter Meeting in Washington, D.C., he called the new push for fast networks the Gigabit City Challenge.

»www.computerworld.com/s/ ··· _by_2015

I nominate Comcast's Danbury market area for Connecticut's gigabit community.

Danbury is actually a perfect market for Gigabit. It has moderate population density. Lots of corporations with operations in the city so Danbury likely has good bandwidth. Chimney Heights alone could be profitable for a gigabit operation.(okay that is technically Bethel, but when I lived at Exit 8, I said Danbury even though I was in Bethel. if you go back 100 or so years they did used to be the same town actually.)

Its the most important metro area in CT, That nobody has ever heard of.(I only grew up there and was there for 27 years so my opinions are not impartial at all.)

bradyr
YCCD - Network Operations
Premium Member
join:2008-10-27
Sonora, CA
(Software) pfSense
Netgear CM1200
Ubiquiti UAP-AC-HD

bradyr

Premium Member

Gigabit net from Comcast.. allowing customers to burn through their usage policy in no time flat....

seriously, though, I would love to see it, but at the same time I'll believe it when I actually see it. They'll get gigabit to one area in each state, then the rest will be "best effort" type situations like we already see everywhere.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to camper

to camper
Pipe Dream ??

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to camper

Premium Member

to camper
I'm pretty sure most states already have this met.
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to camper

to camper
well Pennsylvania is covered already then.... I can already get Comcast MetroE 1Gbit symetric at home for an outragious price