Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium Member
join:2001-01-29
Psalm 96 ESV

Juke Box

Premium Member

[WIN8] Free Windows Media Center - Limited Time

Not sure if I am late to the party, but recently I have found that Windows Media Center for Windows 8 is free.

If you have it already, great. If not, it took me about 15 minutes for the install.

»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· re-packs

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

A good offer (till the of this month) indeed
»[WIN8] Windows 8 Media Center Pack keys

Cudni

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium Member
Psalm 96 ESV

Juke Box

Premium Member

Thanks. I figured there was a thread about it.
I did search, on the fly, for a Win 8 Media Center and didn't find one.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Juke Box

Premium Member

to Juke Box
Anyone wanting it better hurry up because as of end of December it took ONE WEEK for Microsoft to send me the email. It probably takes longer now as end date is approaching.

HolmanGT
HolmanGT
Premium Member
join:2001-11-20
Washington, UT

HolmanGT

Premium Member

Good morning Mele,

You guys/gals convinced me to get the Media Pack - free is good.

For what it is worth I just now requested the "Free Key" and much to my surprise received the "Key Email" in less than five minutes.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Wow! Aren't you lucky!

I had read before I requested it that, when first offered, the email was sent within 24 hours, then it became 48 hours, at the time of the blog I read it was 72 hours before you would get the email and the blogger was lamenting this. Mine did take an entire week...maybe there was a surge around Christmas with people getting new computers and now that has subsided. Whatever...you have it now and free is good.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to Juke Box

Premium Member

to Juke Box
Stinks that you need to be running pro not core like my Dell is running.

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium Member
Psalm 96 ESV

Juke Box

Premium Member

OK, here is the latest.

When I installed Windows Media Center I did activate it then, that very moment when I had a chance to enter in the key that was emailed to me from MS.

Today, I get an email to activate but the instructions to activate before the 31st don't work.
Instructions:
1.Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. (If you’re using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search).
2.Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings.
3.Tap or click Add features to Windows 8.
4.Then tap or click I already have a product key.
5.Enter the product key, and then click Next.
6.Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features.

The problem is step 3. There is no "add features to Windows 8".

I am guessing that was satisfied when I installed and activated at the time of the install.

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH

Merak75

MVM

Got the same email. The email was a bit confusing. I tried the same thing you did and could not find add features. I know I activated so I am assuming that is why it did not work.
So the email is just a reminder to use the activation code if you have not all ready.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I just got the same email. It is a bit confusing. I'm a bit surprised that Microsoft has no way to filter out those who already activated it from getting this reminder.

I started it just now to make sure it was working. I haven't really used it yet but I decided to do a slide show with my photos. It is a NICE slideshow. I have XP Pro on my old computer so I never had Media Center like was on Win 7.

gzt7d8
Aliens live amongst us
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
Traverse City, MI

gzt7d8 to Merak75

Premium Member

to Merak75
said by Merak75:

So the email is just a reminder to use the activation code if you have not all ready.

Ditto, but I agree with Merak75 See Profile, I think it was a reminder, but like Mele20 See Profile said, why can't they filter out those who already added the feature?

We have the technology!
Torrid Zone
join:2009-06-13
Carmel, NY

Torrid Zone to Juke Box

to Juke Box
What happens after January 31st 2013 if you one has to reinstall Windows 8? Will the Key still work?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

That's a good question. Since Microsoft doesn't seem to know who has used the key and who hasn't (since they sent this reminder to everyone who requested a key rather than sending it only to those who have not yet activated the key), who knows what would happen if you had to reinstall Win 8 Pro. Or what if you downgraded to Win 7 Pro and then, a few months later, decided to upgrade back to Win 8 Pro?

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to Torrid Zone

to Torrid Zone
said by Torrid Zone:

What happens after January 31st 2013 if you one has to reinstall Windows 8? Will the Key still work?

You should create a ghost, or some other image of your boot HD, and so if something happens, you can reload it from that.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

said by aurgathor:

said by Torrid Zone:

You should create a ghost, or some other image of your boot HD, and so if something happens, you can reload it from that.

A backup solution is advisable either way.