share rss forum feed

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to Cho Baka

Re: 03 impala idle issues

said by Cho Baka:

Yeah, but the OP's questionable deduction referred to the PCM.

Right, which is why I was pointing out that he would be incorrect in that assumption.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
yeah BCM I get them mixed up sometimes

tallguy11

join:2002-02-08
Edmonton, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TELUS
reply to Anonymous_
the knocking issue can be plugs and wires too.. if u havnt changed your plugs and wires yet, especially if u seen sparks i would...its very cheap like under 100 bucks and is part of regular maintance.. probably get rid of the knock too.. i had a ford explorer that would start to knock when the plugs started to go bad...

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
said by tallguy11:

the knocking issue can be plugs and wires too.. if u havnt changed your plugs and wires yet, especially if u seen sparks i would...its very cheap like under 100 bucks and is part of regular maintance.. probably get rid of the knock too.. i had a ford explorer that would start to knock when the plugs started to go bad...

and before you go swearing at the back 3 plugs, park it on flat ground, undo the front engine mounts, put it in neutral, rock the engine forward, brace the engine with the second hole in the engine mount. that way you can change the rear 3 plugs without any trouble.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to tallguy11
said by tallguy11:

the knocking issue can be plugs and wires too.

[snip]

i had a ford explorer that would start to knock when the plugs started to go bad...

Dirty combustion chambers with carbon deposits can cause knocking too. They should clean the fuel system and intake system with a carbon remover like Seafoam.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Gemstone
Premium
join:2000-12-20
Long Island
reply to Gordo74
said by Gordo74:

said by Anonymous_:

Fuel Pressure Regulator failure going to be 300.

That's really not bad all things considered.

'01-'05 Impalas are tanks. They are great engines as well. My 2004 currently sits near 180k and still is running like it was 50k.

The fuel injection pressure regulator on a 3.8L engine is a $50 part... It's located right on top of the motor and takes about 10 minutes to replace... No way that's a $300 job...
--
Go Mark Martin!

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
said by Gemstone:

said by Gordo74:

said by Anonymous_:

Fuel Pressure Regulator failure going to be 300.

That's really not bad all things considered.

'01-'05 Impalas are tanks. They are great engines as well. My 2004 currently sits near 180k and still is running like it was 50k.

The fuel injection pressure regulator on a 3.8L engine is a $50 part... It's located right on top of the motor and takes about 10 minutes to replace... No way that's a $300 job...

I wasn't sure of the price, I just meant as far as repairs verse scraping the car (which he has hinted at multiple times)

Gemstone
Premium
join:2000-12-20
Long Island
reply to Anonymous_
I have an '01 Impala LS and it's still going strong... I've had my share of issues with it over the years but all fixable... I did have an idle speed issue last year with symptoms similar to the OP... Plugged in my code reader and got a code for the MAF sensor... Bought a re-manufactured MAF for about $100 and replaced it (a 5 minute simple job) and all is good... Another part that gets dirty or goes bad is the IAC (idle air control)... You can clean it or buy a new one for about $40... Also simple and quick to replace...
--
Go Mark Martin!