how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

KnightAR

join:2004-04-22
San Marcos, CA

[CA] Horrible Download Speeds

I have the Premier tier in the San Diego area on Cox, and I'm having horrible internet speed issues, My test on the Cox site is giving me 2mbps down, 5mbps up. It's so bad that I can't even watch normal videos on youtube.

Speed test results: »cl.ly/image/3t1P0T1I3a2g/content
Modem Details: »cl.ly/image/1u3n3s1Y180f/content

If someone from Cox can chime in, that would be great.

Thanks!
--
Artician LLC
Co-Founder
Artician Web Development Studios - »www.artician.net
Artician - Creative Network for Art, Graphic Design, & Photography - »www.artician.com

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

thry rebooting your modem and router if you have one as your uptime says 79days, see what happens then

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3

That looks like a phone modem too, so remember, unplugging the power does nothing. You need to use the reset button on the back of the modem. If that doesn't help, if you have a router, I would suggest bypassing that and going direct from a computer into the modem(another reset will be required) and trying the tests again.

KnightAR

San Marcos, CA
reply to KnightAR

I woke up just now, and did another speed test. It looks like its back to normal without rebooting the modem or doing anything with it.

»cl.ly/image/112J0P0u3m19/content

Would it be more likely be a capacity issue? I've noticed in the past that the internet slowed down drastically during mid-afternoons.

When I first got Cox when I moved into this area, I got my full speed all day every day. Lately it seems like I get less the 1/4th my download speed during the afternoons.
--
Artician LLC
Co-Founder
Artician Web Development Studios - »www.artician.net
Artician - Creative Network for Art, Graphic Design, & Photography - »www.artician.com

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:77

That is a possibility but I wouldn't be able to say for sure based on the available information. You would probably benefit by upgrading to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem if that is the case. That appears to be an eMTA modem which can be swapped out by us at no charge.

KnightAR

San Marcos, CA

Does any of the DOCSIS 3.0 modems support the phone service? If not, I would have to have them get me a secondary modem for it right?

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:77

Yes we have Cisco eMTAs that do phone and data. Some of them even have integrated wireless.

KnightAR

San Marcos, CA

Thanks for your help, I will be calling on Monday to have our cable modem changed. Thanks!