Search similar:

uniqs

excelx
join:2004-07-06
Los Angeles, CA

excelx to Scotsman99

to Scotsman99

Re: [TWC] Time warner cable and Motorola Surfboard 6141

I have the same modem motorola 6141 and under Downstream power level it reads -18 dBmV! ( used to be -4 ) it got all messed up after the 15/1 upgrade...

j1349705
Premium Member
join:2006-04-15
Holly Springs, NC

j1349705

Premium Member

said by excelx:

I have the same modem motorola 6141 and under Downstream power level it reads -18 dBmV! ( used to be -4 ) it got all messed up after the 15/1 upgrade...

A downstream of -18 dBmV is way out of range. If you ever have service issues, this is almost certainly why.
OneStep
join:2001-11-16
San Diego, CA

OneStep to Scotsman99

to Scotsman99
Click for full size
6141 signals taken 01-31-13
Just an FYI to all on this thread: I have had endless issues with "peak time" slowdowns and also random poor speeds at various times/days. I routinely bypass my wireless and hard connect to router. Likewise, I direct connect to modem. Regardless, speeds are simply inconsistent and very low for a few days each month.

I purchased a 6141 running SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.3-SCM03-NOSH
three weeks ago and continue experiencing the same issues with intermittent slow speeds.

A TW tech came out again today, saw my new 6141 and immediately told me (yes, an actual quote) "Your modem is the problem. It cannot handle higher speeds." He then advised me to purchase a 6580. I asked him to quickly pack his $hit and leave.

Unbelievable!

excelx
Los Angeles, CA

excelx to j1349705

to j1349705
the main line coming from pole to our house it's like 100 years old lol
( 18 years ) they would probably charge us alot if replaced...
weird thing is that everything was fine before the 15-1 upgrade ( was 10-1 )
OneStep
join:2001-11-16
San Diego, CA

OneStep

Things could be different here in San Diego, but they came out and dug up and replaced the cable from the pole (at street) to the house for FREE.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to excelx

to excelx
said by excelx:

the main line coming from pole to our house it's like 100 years old lol
( 18 years ) they would probably charge us alot if replaced...
weird thing is that everything was fine before the 15-1 upgrade ( was 10-1 )

have had the drop from the tap replaced a few times due to various issues and it was free TWC owns line up until your demarcation point at your house. and it was free each time.

excelx
Los Angeles, CA

excelx

I will give them a call tomorrow morning and find out, thank you!

j1349705
Premium Member
join:2006-04-15
Holly Springs, NC

j1349705 to excelx

Premium Member

to excelx
I agree with everyone else that it should be free. I know policies are different depending on where you are, but I personally have never heard of TWC charging someone for this kind of issue.

It is really in their best interest to replace old out of spec cables and connectors. Depending on the situation, bad cables and connectors can cause signal ingress leading to difficult to troubleshoot problems for you and other even subscribers. Not saying that this is happening... but it can.

When they see those signals, I suspect they will immediately send a tech no questions asked. Most modems spec the operating range as -15dBmV to +15dBmV, and most cable operators list their acceptable range as -10dBmV to +10dBmV (this is done to improve reliability - it is not good to run right at the low or high side of the spec for a few reasons, one of them being that the signal can change slightly throughout the day, leading to intermittent service loss when it goes too far out of spec).
dowop8
join:2012-10-30
N.E Ohio

dowop8 to Scotsman99

to Scotsman99
My 6141 is listed as a Comsonics Docis3 on Timewarner my services.Just wondering why Comsonics?

kw0
Premium Member
join:2004-06-12
New Albany, OH

kw0

Premium Member

said by dowop8:

My 6141 is listed as a Comsonics Docis3 on Timewarner my services.Just wondering why Comsonics?

Their system reads the MAC address and automatically fills it in. My Zoom branded modem also read as a Comsonics.
dowop8
join:2012-10-30
N.E Ohio

dowop8

OK. Thank You
Earthlinky
join:2013-02-15
Forest Hills, NY

Earthlinky to kilrathi

to kilrathi
Same issue spotted on numerous threads. This doesn't appear to be related to this cable modem at all.

I was thinking I should buy one of these to replace my existing modem but then came across this thread and it doesn't help with the problem.

Still having issues with my cablemodem service but it is definitely the cable plant and I am not going to upgrade modems at this point.

Waiting for Verizon FIOS to come out. The cable plants seem to be oversaturated.

UKEE
join:2012-05-14
Lexington, KY

UKEE

Maybe OT but found this in the hardware forum under Motorola...
said by RySean:

There's a new firmware update for Time Warner cable for the SB6141, apparently as of today :-D It's SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.10-SCM00-NOSH according to the TWC rep I talked to. They said they couldn't push it manually, but it would be rolling out over time. Hopefully that doesn't exclude mine which is owned by me rather than rented.

Earthlinky
Forest Hills, NY

Earthlinky

Probably fixes the disconnection issue customers are having with it.

Someone invents the logic and firmware, then they issue patches on bugs as they occur. Happens all the time.

But this is good news as it solidifies the SB6141 as the modem of choice for Time Warner Cable.

I don't see how the system can distinguish between rented and consumer owned modems.
RySean
join:2013-02-18
San Diego, CA

RySean

Well, I spoke to TWC reps over the phone afterwards (it was an online rep who confirmed that new FW version) and they kept insisting that TWC doesn't put out FW to modems at all, whether or not they are customer owned. Admittedly, I kept ending up with Level 1 Tech Support morons who barely understood what I was asking. They kept telling me that the only way to get new FW was from Motorola and didn't seem to understand that Motorola doesn't do FW updates to end users. I'll try calling again another day to see if I can talk to someone intelligent and get an update on when that will finish rolling out. Or if someone else wants to give it a shot, please do and let me know. I'm still stuck on version SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.3 for now and I'm getting T3 and T4 timeouts all the time which causes modem reboots:-/
Earthlinky
Forest Hills, NY

Earthlinky

Time Warner's personnel are a bunch of idiots. Even in Time Warner Direct forum they said they were transferring me to level 3 but someone from Customer Relations tried to contact me.

I am convinced Time Warner is a horrible ISP. Starhub in Singapore, Virgin Media in the UK, even Cablevision in the USA and Verizon FIOS are far superior just to give examples of some. Unfortunately in my area my choices are 2 lousy cable providers.

I wish NYC would not renew Time Warner as a franchise and would hand over the business to another firm.

I will be contacting NYC DOITT letting them know my displeasure. But alas its all I can do.
RySean
join:2013-02-18
San Diego, CA

RySean

Same, my only options are TWC and AT&T :-( AT&T has even slower speeds (I have 50/5 with TWC, and AT&T only offers 24 down as a max). Plus AT&T has download caps. Stupid duopolies...
Earthlinky
Forest Hills, NY

Earthlinky

I just wrote my email to them addressing my displeasure. Not that it will be taken seriously. Corporations own NYC's infrastructure and they don't make the city better, they are just spheres of influence of power and profit.

I don't see anything changing in regards to the communications networks here in NYC. It is just larger power grabs.

kw0
Premium Member
New Albany, OH

kw0 to Scotsman99

Premium Member

to Scotsman99
Here's what you do, and it's pretty simple:

1. Sell your old modem
2. Buy a new modem

That's really your only options. TWC doesn't care, and no amount of complaining is going to change it.
scotsman1000
join:2013-02-08

scotsman1000

So after multiple visits by engineers, and multiple phone calls, I finally purchased a Zoom 5341 modem to replace the Motorola 6141 (& 6121 for that matter). No slowdowns or disconnections since. My verdict is that my specific combination of Motorola, TWC, and the line into my house is not compatible. Noisy line, old firmware, who knows, but I am done with Motorola for now.

kw0
Premium Member
New Albany, OH

kw0

Premium Member

said by scotsman1000:

So after multiple visits by engineers, and multiple phone calls, I finally purchased a Zoom 5341 modem to replace the Motorola 6141 (& 6121 for that matter). No slowdowns or disconnections since. My verdict is that my specific combination of Motorola, TWC, and the line into my house is not compatible. Noisy line, old firmware, who knows, but I am done with Motorola for now.

I had to burst your bubble, but I had nothing but issues with my 5341. I actually sold it and bought a 6141.

Luckily, I have a newer firmware than you in mine, so I haven't had any issues.
scotsman1000
join:2013-02-08

scotsman1000

A mystery indeed, but so far so good with my zoom 5341. The second engineer recommended an Ubee modem, but these were hard to find online. The simplest answer would be to allow end users to update their own firmware, but there are other problems with this I know.

I think the moral off the story is that it is all a bit of hit and miss with DOCSIS 3.0, and sometimes you just have to try a few different things on your own before everything works.
Radisc359
join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE

Radisc359

said by scotsman1000:

A mystery indeed, but so far so good with my zoom 5341.

scotsman1000, with my Zoom 5341J it disconnects every 3.5days (halfway through the dhcp lease of 7 days) but recovers, which is annoying. They thought it was a coding issue with mac addresses but I am waiting to see if that's it or not, but I doubt it. I tested a dhcp renewal and it still fails to contact the DHCP server. Have you noticed such issues with your Zoom, check here after logging into the modem: »192.168.100.1/RgEventLog.asp look for errors such as "DHCP RENEW FAILED - Critical field invalid in response" and "DHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4;CM-MAC=".

kw0
Premium Member
New Albany, OH

kw0

Premium Member

Bumping an old thread, but my modem has reverted backwards to the old firmware. I'm showing the 1.0.6.3 stuff now.

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi

Premium Member

lol so u got downgraded by the isp

kw0
Premium Member
New Albany, OH

kw0

Premium Member

said by kilrathi:

lol so u got downgraded by the isp

Yes, on a customer-owned modem.

tonyram57
join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57 to kw0

to kw0
said by kw0:

Bumping an old thread, but my modem has reverted backwards to the old firmware. I'm showing the 1.0.6.3 stuff now.

Wait you are telling me that they downgraded your firmware to the buggy 1.0.6.3 yet they won't update it to the newest. They are the worst. What firmware did you have on there and was it the white retail modem. I have the white retail after exchanging it for the black that came with 1.0.6.3. The white retail has 1.0.6.8 and I hope they don't' downgrade it to 1.0.6.3. If they do I will probably go back to my SB5101U or just go down there and get a modem from TWC directly.

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi to Scotsman99

Premium Member

to Scotsman99
Well lesson is not to buy newer modem that you know has newer firmware that fixes bugs on the one twc uses on same model modems because twc will just downgrade ur modem without warning.

tonyram57
join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57

said by kilrathi:

Well lesson is not to buy newer modem that you know has newer firmware that fixes bugs on the one twc uses on same model modems because twc will just downgrade ur modem without warning.

Well TWC will refuse to give me a DOSCIS 3.0 modem because I don't have there Turbo service and the DOSCIS 2.0 modems give me problems because they keep randomly changing the downstream and upstream channels multiple times a day which causes the connection to disconnect for a few seconds causing havoc when streaming music.

If I do go down to the TWC headquarters and get a 3.0 modem when a tech comes to my house he will just swap it for a 2.0 modem. I don't want to change from Earthlink to TWC Turbo and pay over $30 more a month. I am happy with my 15/1 speeds.
tonyram57

tonyram57

I am telling you Comcast users have got it made. They got tons of modems that they can choose from to purchase and Comcast even supports them by updating their firmware.

Time Warner on the other hand support a pathetic tiny bit of modems and they won't update their firmware but they sure will downgrade it to a buggy version. They really want you to lease there modems do they.