Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

Working most of the day today

I am doing manual purges on a database from the application (several hours of watching data delete) then our DBA will do a reorg and reindex of the affected tables which will take several hours.

Tonight at 6 I then have to do a configuration change.

So much fun.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

lugnut

@communications.com
Take a loooooooong lunch at the local tavern while the data purges, and bring along an air mattress and a blankie for a well deserved afternoon nap in the storeroom

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
I am working from home, that is the upside.

lugnut

@communications.com
Glancing occasionally at a progress bar while watching Futurama episodes on Netflix...

My heart bleeds for you...

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
No Netflix, but I have lots of things to do. Wife and girls will be out most of the day too.

nightowl

join:2012-11-09
minecraft

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to donoreo
My house will be swept clean of all vestiges of any lifeforms save my own today. I will then read case law until late afternoon until my head explodes then when these lifeforms return I will turn attention to crayons and colouring pictures of Angry Birds for the dinner hour art show.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

reply to donoreo

Wait for it...
If you get bored here is something else to look at.

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been

join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to donoreo
Boo hoo.

My work-at-home project this weekend is to put a satellite antenna somewhere outside, run a cable through a basement window to a transceiver, and soak the latest firmware build before we release it. As the department manager, it's my responsibility to ensure that we release sane loads - but I never have the time during regular business hours to get this stuff done between all the meetings and constant interruptions. Pretty much every evening and week-end there's something work related that I need to do.

In some ways, I find the time that I work from home so much more productive and get a sense of accomplishment that I don't get when I keep falling behind my schedule at the office.

So, no sympathy here. If having to work this week-end bothers you, maybe you can find some kid in China to do it for you for 1/5 your pay. Watch out though, your employer might find this an attractive alternative.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by WhaleOilBee:

In some ways, I find the time that I work from home so much more productive and get a sense of accomplishment that I don't get when I keep falling behind my schedule at the office.

Hah, same here. When I work from home on the weekend, after my busy work week, I find I get more of the things done that I wanted to get done. I work at puttering speed, checking the news, posting here, but I somehow get a lot done...

I typically try to avoid working on a Sunday but if there's a few hours of work I can do in the afternoon to get a jump on the work week, I'll certainly do it. Makes the work week go smoother, less stressful.

Black Box

join:2002-12-21
reply to WhaleOilBee
said by WhaleOilBee:

So, no sympathy here. If having to work this week-end bothers you, maybe you can find some kid in China to do it for you for 1/5 your pay.

Funny you would say that. See here: »Programmer secretly outsourced his job to Chinese firm.
--
Keep It Safe, Stupid!
Yes, I CanChat. Can You?

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been

join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON
Reviews:
·Acanac
said by Black Box:

said by WhaleOilBee:

So, no sympathy here. If having to work this week-end bothers you, maybe you can find some kid in China to do it for you for 1/5 your pay.

Funny you would say that. See here: »Programmer secretly outsourced his job to Chinese firm.

That's exactly why I said it. That story has become quite popular in the past few days.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to donoreo
Spouse left early this AM for work. That meant I went to the dump, gassed up the car, picked up the dry cleaning, blew the snow off the driveway, walked the dog, read the newspaper, did the household chores while listening to light jazz on the ExpressVu receiver. Now I'll play some BF3 and watch football.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to donoreo
I work every Saturday. Along with every day Monday through Friday. No sympathy from me.

Though, I will say, I enjoy Saturdays so much more than weekdays. People just seem happier on a Saturday than they are during the week.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
said by Gone:

I work every Saturday. Along with every day Monday through Friday. No sympathy from me.

I will just point out at this juncture in the thread that your definition of "work" and what the majority of posters engage in that constitutes work may differ.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Not all of us can sell tires at Costco.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to peterboro
No, there's days that I consider just being present "working" too...

Little one went to Grandma's this morning for an overnight visit; the wife's headed out shortly, leaving me to an afternoon of peace.

Got a few ideas of stuff to do around here, but likely going to be pretty low key... I've got a partition wall to frame in the basement, but just not really feeling it today, to be honest. Next week's going to suck at work, so laying low this weekend doesn't sound like a bad idea...

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by LazMan:

No, there's days that I consider just being present "working" too...

Started at 8AM. Had a weekly business meeting, conducted a job interview, closed two deals and cleared up all the orders, invoices and other paperwork sitting on my desk.

Overall it was a very productive day far busier than a Saturday usually is. Just because I'm sitting here with a web browser window sitting on top of a Simply Accounting and an Excel window every few seconds does not mean that I merely "present."

(between the few minutes I started typing this and now, i've had three files thrown on my desk and playfully yelled at someone who confirmed with me that something was sold that never was. I love Saturdays )

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

Get it right, INSTALL tires...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to donoreo
I rarely go grocery shopping on Saturdays, but i had to do a quick install of a Server for a company, got paid, and figured well I'm up here, I'll head over to Costco for Milk/Eggs/Coffee...

I was ready to kill someone by the time I got out... morons block entire aisles for fucking free samples of shitty products.

Then headed to my local grocery store and to pickup smaller items (I don't need 50lbs of chicken) and more idiots blocking aisles and cash register lines.

GRRRRRR

I'm gonna play some Diablo now to get out of my system.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
The wife and I are driving up to Costco in St. Cats later this afternoon. Trust me when I say I will be feeling your pain soon enough.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

As elwood pointed out install tires. If you guys are going to make up jobs for me at least be consistent.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to elwoodblues
Places not to go to on a Satruday:

1. Costco
2. Walmart
3. Large Grocery store

They are all crazy.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to donoreo
Update....17 million records in the table I am purging, 4 million have been purged. It has been running since 11:24. I am not sure how many will be, they are older than 90 days.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

As elwood pointed out install tires. If you guys are going to make up jobs for me at least be consistent.

Just like the number of cars on your front lawn, it's difficult to keep track of your duties at Costco.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

1. Costco

Agreed. Even though the aisles are gigantic, stupid ignorant people just leave those giant carts slightly to the right of the middle of the aisle while they stand slightly to the left, and block the whole fucking aisle... I'm regularly moving people's buggies

said by donoreo:

3. Large Grocery store

They are all crazy.

Don't agree, as long as you're there before 4:00 PM they're just fine 'round these parts. Usually they have more staff so you cruise through the checkout.

I speak on experience, I just left Zehrs and Sobeys

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to donoreo
My first purge, I have 5, is still going. In the meantime I have completed the config change I had to make on another system.

The plan is to stop by 11 PM and then we will pick it up in the morning.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

Agreed. Even though the aisles are gigantic, stupid ignorant people just leave those giant carts slightly to the right of the middle of the aisle while they stand slightly to the left, and block the whole fucking aisle... I'm regularly moving people's buggies

Yeah, that pretty much sums up are experience this afternoon.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

1. Costco
2. Walmart
3. Large Grocery store

It may not be the same in other cities, but here, if you're at Costco here 15 minutes before the official opening time on a Saturday the doors open. You can avoid most of the Saturday crap if you go then.

Most grocery stores at open at 8am, so if I have to go into one on the weekend, I hit them then. Over the years of working starting at 7am I've lost the ability to sleep in. So I get up, shop, and if I did get to bed late on Friday then I'll have a nap on Saturday afternoon.

This weekend I'm busy though (mainly work, but some other stuff too). I won't really get a rest until next Saturday afternoon. My next week hasn't started (and I'm still cleaning up stuff from last week), but I think it's going to be busy.

ETA: On the plus side I've started some seeds for the spring, and I've got some green going on the light garden.

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

1. Costco
2. Walmart
3. Large Grocery store

They are all crazy.

I hit my local supermarket just after opening (8am) and pretty much get the run of the place.

I haven't slept in on a Saturday since my university days.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes