how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

enigma1944

join:2005-08-23
Pittsburgh, PA

[Northeast] Speed Upgrade

My 2 year contract expired and I currently have 35/35 speed and the ultimate tv with no phone. Do I need a new contract to upgrade speed to 75/35 and keep my current tv. Is a new router required to do this.

Thanks

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

said by enigma1944:

1. Do I need a new contract to upgrade speed to 75/35 and keep my current tv.
2. Is a new router required to do this.

1. Yes.
2. No. All Actiontec routers in current use will give you hardwired 75/35 performance. If you use wireless connections, a newer Rev.I router will improve your wireless performance if the wireless devices can accommodate the wireless-N standard.

VZ won't necessarily give you a new router just by asking. Look for all the topics and posts referencing Rev. I router. On one end of the spectrum, it is available for a fee. On the other end of the spectrum, you can get one free by bitching and moaning a lot, or by the luck of the draw when getting a replacement.

enigma1944

join:2005-08-23
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to enigma1944

OK thanks for the info

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to enigma1944

One cautionary note, if your not Ethernet and Gigabit ports, you may not get all the speed of the 75 tier has to offer.

I had to ( on my own dime ) get an Actiontech "G" so I would be Gigabit Ethernet on WAN and LAN, the difference was with the older 100mbit router, I was getting about 73mbit maximum, with the Gigabit Ethernet, getting the full 84mbit ( tier has fluff with Video ).

focuser

join:2001-05-12
Elmwood Park, NJ
reply to enigma1944

When I upgraded to 75/35 from 35/35, I requested a Rev.I router, and they shipped me one. I suppose it's just a matter of who you talk to.