how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cbraley

join:2002-08-03
Brodhead, KY

New Service

My father is a AT&T customer. He recently called AT&T to see what service was available and was informed that while he didn't currently qualify for DSL it would be available in his area soon.

Now, I know for a fact the closest CO to his area is 13 miles away by road. His area has never had DSL service. Is there any way I can verify that you will indeed be rolling out service to his area anytime in the next year or so?

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by cbraley:

My father is a AT&T customer. He recently called AT&T to see what service was available and was informed that while he didn't currently qualify for DSL it would be available in his area soon.

Now, I know for a fact the closest CO to his area is 13 miles away by road. His area has never had DSL service. Is there any way I can verify that you will indeed be rolling out service to his area anytime in the next year or so?

DSL can be supplied from an RT based DSLAM as well as directly from the CO. Perhaps AT&T is planning to upgrade a nearby RT, or perhaps even offering VRAD supplied U-verse service.

Or perhaps they are talking about wireless LTE based "DSL" service (which is likely to be how AT&T expands coverage in most of its rural areas).

»AT&T Announces Awaited Network Investment Plan

AT&T has announced their long-awaited plan to address the upgrade path for the company's DSL networks. According to AT&T's plan, the company will spend $14 billion on a new network expansion initiative that will include upgrading some current DSL users to U-Verse, but will also involve pushing many DSL users in outlying areas to their LTE network.

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
kudos:1
reply to cbraley

Oh, yes, we heard the same thing.. I think it was back in 06.. While they have run fiber from our box to other locations to supply uverse and even a fiber line to a cell tower, no dsl, nor uverse in our area to this date...

I'm hoping though that won't be the case for you guys.. ATT just hasn't impressed me with their build out strategy...

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to cbraley

"Soon". There are some stores in my city that have had signs saying: "Opening Soon". That turns out to mean anything from 1 year to 3 years. That is NOT opening soon. Opening soon should mean that from the moment the sign goes up to the moment the store opens for regular business is no more than 91 days.

The same requirement should apply to statements from AT&T about the activation of DSL or Uverse services to a particular address. But it does not. The "soon" you got could mean 2 years or 10 years. Maybe 20 years. It is a meaningless word to AT&T. It has no time limit. AT&T will not publish a detailed deployment plan for Uverse, DSL, or cellular service expansions. AT&T will not provide specific dates for when a certain service is expected to be available to a specific address.

bonorum

join:2004-04-03
Winston Salem, NC
reply to cbraley

As pointed out earlier, it is technically possible. However, I have *never* been accurately informed of service availability by *any* AT&T employee. I was told that my location would never have U-verse service. One month later I got an email (automated) and the next day had U-verse. On the other hand, I called AT&T from my AT&T cell phone, who explained how many redundant cell sites were in my area, making dropping a call impossible, as my call dropped. Based on that, if you have an alternative that does not require a contract, I suggest you use it. Sign up online for a notification when service is available from AT&T. The computer knows, the employees are subject to mushroom syndrome: kept in the dark and fed equine excrement.