share rss forum feed

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

PrivacyFix

Anyone here of or use https: //www.privacyfix.com/start ?

JimBrock

@comcast.net

Hi folks, I lead the Privacyfix team and stand ready for questions, feedback and suggestions on how to make the service better. contact@privacychoice.org Thanks!

Trihexagonal

join:2004-08-29
US
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Midwest

1 edit

1 recommendation

From your FAQ:

quote:
Does my data stay private?
Yes, your data stays completely private. Privacyfix is engineered not to transmit or share any of your data (history, cookies or privacy settings).
How did you come to find his post on the internet and reply within a hour of his posting?

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

reply to JimBrock

My recommendation would be to get your add-on reviewed and approved through Mozilla. Most people have their browsers set to block third party add-ons, some of which (as you probably know) are less than ethical in their functions.

See »addons.mozilla.org/en-US/develop···/reviews
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Trihexagonal

said by Trihexagonal:

From your FAQ:

quote:
Does my data stay private?
Yes, your data stays completely private. Privacyfix is engineered not to transmit or share any of your data (history, cookies or privacy settings).
How did you come to find his post on the internet and reply within a hour of his posting?

If you don't know by now, Google aggressively indexes this site (and other active forum sites). Often times when I'm looking for answers to questions asked on other technical forums, the original question comes up as the first search result, less than hour than the original post...

Also: I'm not a guy
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Trihexagonal

US
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Midwest

said by darcilicious:

If you don't know by now, Google aggressively indexes this site (and other active forum sites). Often times when I'm looking for answers to questions asked on other technical forums, the original question comes up as the first search result, less than hour than the original post...

Also: I'm not a guy

Yes, I'm aware that Google spiders this site. What I was not, and am still not, aware of is how they found your post and replied within 45 minutes of you posting.

Very nice of you to jump to their defense, but I'd like to hear it from them, if you don't mind.

Is this a shill post, do they constantly search Google all day long for posts that reference them, was it "sheer coincidence", or did their app track your post?

JimBrock

@comcast.net
reply to Trihexagonal

Google Alert. We're hungry for feedback and input.

Expand your moderator at work

Trihexagonal

US
reply to JimBrock

Re: PrivacyFix

Fair enough. I was just curious.

Expand your moderator at work

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to JimBrock

Re: PrivacyFix

said by JimBrock :

Google Alert. We're hungry for feedback and input.

I'm on Opera ATM but I can understand why Opera would not yet be covered by PrivacyFix as it doesn't have a large market share especially in the USA. So, I switched to Fx 10.0.12 ESR to find it not covered either although this version of Fx is still supported (until middle of February) by Mozilla. So, while I seldom use IE, I have a new computer with Win 8 Pro so I opened IE 10 and went to your site.

I read some of your blogs and realized that you are the PrivacyScore guys and PrivacyFix grew out of that endeavor. Cool. But then I read some more and watched the little video (which, BTW, buffered 5 times and it is only about 1 minute in length so that was a bit riidiculous. I have cable modem at 20/2 speed but connections to a speed test at Uof Santa Cruz are bad now for a couple of months...so maybe my ISP has a congested route now to your site also and that video).

Anyhow, I realized that your product is similar to Abine's. I noticed this by exploring IE's tracking protection lists and saw you and Abine on the list (I use and love Abine's Google Sharing extension for Fx and it is a main reason I keep Fx as my default browser). But I would not use Abine's tracking protection or yours because I don't want the kind of protection the two of you offer. Protection based on the "honor" system is stupid and I need useful protection for IE 10 when I do use it. Your former employer "Yahoo" has opted out of IE 10's tracking "protection" as has Google. I prefer Ghostery which does work finally well with Opera as well as Fx and SeaMonkey but does not work on IE. Luckily, I have other privacy protections in place and I block Facebook, Yahoo and silly Twitter in my Hosts file. Plus, the privacy problems in IE still there in IE 10 (especially the bad third party cookie leakage that Microsoft has never fixed) mean that I avoid IE as much as possible.

BTW, you need to fix your "terms" and "privacy" buttons on your site. They don't work on any browser. Only "FAQ" and "Blog" work.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

JimBrock

@mycingular.net

Great input -- we will check on the bandwidth issues you mention. As far as Opera goes, we really, really want to get to that after we cover some other platform support we have in development.

Also, there was a good comment on registering the addon at Mozilla. We did not do that for the initial version because the review process there didn't work very well for us for all of the updates we needed to do in the early-going (Privacyfix is a very complex app), but now that the build is more stable I think we will list there.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

You could get experimental approval at Mozilla addons. This way some might avoid your addon because it says "experimental" but I think you would get a lot more trying it if was registered there and users could comment about their experience with it and you can answer them there. I know their review process can be lengthy.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson