Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to Jon

Re: Seriously? PS4 to use AMD cpu???

said by Jon:

said by danawhitaker:

Apparently they're also ditching the DualShock controller.

»www.pocket-lint.com/news/49380/s···ller-ps4

Oh hell no!

Gotta find a way to use all those unsold PS visas.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to danawhitaker

I had DC universe installed on my PC, and dumped it shortly after. It ran like a huge crap fest.

I then installed DC universe on my PS3 and it ran fine.
Both devices are about the same age, but the PS3 is more powerful then my PC.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Metatron2008

I wish they'd improve their move system to something like what the 360 has.

sleuth
Premium
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA
reply to Jon

said by Jon:

said by danawhitaker:

Apparently they're also ditching the DualShock controller.

»www.pocket-lint.com/news/49380/s···ller-ps4

Oh hell no!

Think the Xbox is supposed to use a touchscreen controller too. Well, at least everyone can be equally frustrated right?

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

But there's not. And probably never will be an MMO on a console.

If you want to speculate on how well your Xbox would run an MMO, then have at it. I'm not getting into an argument based on speculation.

Except there are MMO's on consoles. Final Fantasy XI on Xbox 360 for one; and DC UO for PS3. that's not even accounting for PSO 1 & 2 on Dreamcast and Gamecube.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

Nintendo never gets online (Until now) or HD (Finally 1080p but the other consoles will have support for 4k), everyone copies Nintendo... Rinse and repeat

Metatron2008
Premium
united state
reply to C0deZer0

said by C0deZer0:

said by Ghastlyone:

But there's not. And probably never will be an MMO on a console.

If you want to speculate on how well your Xbox would run an MMO, then have at it. I'm not getting into an argument based on speculation.

Except there are MMO's on consoles. Final Fantasy XI on Xbox 360 for one; and DC UO for PS3. that's not even accounting for PSO 1 & 2 on Dreamcast and Gamecube.

PSO is NOT a real MMO sorry to say. A multiplayer team of 4 is not in the same league as an MMO.

I played that game on the DC and GC. It was fun but not an MMO.

stonhinge
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS
reply to Metatron2008

FFXI - For PS2, some PS3s, XBox 360. FFXIV(relaunch) is going to be on PS3 as well as PC.
--
When the ship lifts, all bills are paid. No regrets.

Gyp Thompson

@comcast.net
reply to Metatron2008

They come with top of the line parts? Are you familiar with RROD? If not, google it.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Metatron2008

»kotaku.com/5977849/the-playstati···s-so-far

"# CPU: 4x Dual-Core AMD64 "Bulldozer" (so, 8x cores)"

looks like it may be 4 2 core bulldozers, still thats horrid. They will most likely be underclocked, so a phenom ll would beat the crap out of it. Maybe I made the right move getting the wiiu now.

Full system specs according to that if anyone cares "

# System Memory: 8GB
# Video Memory: 2.2 GB
# CPU: 4x Dual-Core AMD64 "Bulldozer" (so, 8x cores)
# GPU: AMD R10xx
# Ports: 4x USB 3.0, 2x Ethernet
# Drive: Blu-Ray
# HDD: 160GB
# Audio Output: HDMI & Optical, 2.0, 5.1 & 7.1 channels"

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to CylonRed

No, the xbox and ps3 beat the pentium ds that were at the time the best intel had to offer, even beat the amd chips. Roughly tied with with the c2ds(at stock speed from what I hear) from 2006.

Amd cores the ps4 may use aren't even as good as phenom ll Zosma cores from 2010. When the ps4 launches in 2014 if they use those amd cores wont even be as good as stuff from what will then be 4 years ago. I'm worried about how gaming as a whole will proceed from here. The wiiu is barley 360/ps3 leve, ps4 will be using tech that is worse than 4 year old(at the time) tech, pc is getting too many indie 2d generic hipster games, the 360 probably wont be much different from the ps4.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
reply to me1212

Hmm. Two ethernet ports? I'm more concerned about whether it's going to be wireless. Maybe they forgot to put that in the article.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

Oh crap, didnt notice that, hopefully wireless just goes without saying these days. Unless they plan to use those 4 usb ports to force people to buy an adapter for wifi...

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Metatron2008

A prebuilt gaming pc(one that can be dual booted with windows no less) has the hope for long lasting consoles, lol... Look at the bright side, maybe this will bring console and pc gamers together.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

Again the wii u isn't 'barely 360/ps3' tech. Just because it has lower clock speeds. Otherwise a 10ghz pentium 4 would dominate everything right?

It's a a ati series 4000/5000 chip, 2 gigs ram, and an underpowered cpu (That is based on both power pc and power 7). Which is pretty much the direction the ps4 is moving.

The next gen of consoles won't be having a lot of physics, that's for sure. Any games that are cpu dependant will probably stay on pcs..

The ram and the gpus on all the next gen consoles are good, it's the cpus that are dumb moves..

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

How does it match against them then? I ask because I've been a pc+nintendo guy all my life, so I haven't looked into it much, other than what I've seen most message boards say.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Metatron2008

It must all be about pricing. That's all I can figure.

They must be trying to stay within the ~400 dollar retail range or so.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Metatron2008

I have to wonder how amd will use these 8 "cores". I mean I may only be in my intro openGL class for my CS degree, but based on everything the teacher has said game engines pretty much only use 1 core for rendering(unless he is misinformed), and maybe one for audio, one for I/O, one for AI, thats only 4 so far the ps4 has 8. I mean I guess there may be one dedicated to the OS like the ps3 had, but still 3 un-used cores. I suppose they could use like one for ally AI, one for enemy AI, or for like multiple types of enemies AI, to get more things on screen at once. Still that wont account for all the cores.

I am happy to see consoles using more core, because that means more cores will probably be being used on pc and mobile devices too sooner, but I can't figure out how they will do it.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

It must all be about pricing. That's all I can figure.

They must be trying to stay within the ~400 dollar retail range or so.

Yeah.. No one in this market now is going to spend $600+ on a console, they would do more harm then good at a launch at that price.

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

I'm just amazed the PS3 still has a market... especially since looking at the history before it, no console that launched with an MSRP greater than $400 USD ever succeeded in the market.

3DO is one of the most infamous examples... it wasn't a shabby system by any means, but pretty much a launch MSRP of $750 pretty much put it in the "GTFO" territory.

The combined ridiculousness of cost for the console and cartridges of the Neo Geo ($650 + $300/game!) pretty much meant only the 1%ers could ever afford to sustain the system and build a library appropriate to see what the thing could do.

me1212 See Profile, it really depends on how the software handles it, and how it's programmed. Most games/etc might only use one thread for handling rendering, but that doesn't mean it's the only way. VALVe has since implemented multicore rendering to smooth and improve overall performance for Source-based games. And last I read up on the matter, VALVe's method could basically use as many 'cores' as you can throw at it - whether they're hyperthreaded or not.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Metatron2008

The PS3 releasing in 2006 at $600 is way different then 2013/14. I can almost bet the majority of people that bought those brand new, did so on their trusty credit cards.

Personally, I think they're nuts if they release these new systems at that price range or even higher.

The economy just aint the same as it once was. Time will tell.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to C0deZer0

Oh, cool at least it can be done. Really not surprised its being done by valve of all companies, they are ballin.. They take more risks than most would.

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

said by me1212:

Oh, cool at least it can be done. Really not surprised its being done by valve of all companies, they are ballin.. They take more risks than most would.

I know there are "tech demo" companies out there - namely, id and Crytek.

But as far as making advancements that benefit the game dev and the gamers at large, I pretty much look to Epic and VALVe to really make good, optimized engines. Really wish there were more that took to their examples.

It was pretty much Epic who grunted through the most to demonstrate that fast and fluid coding on the PS3 is possible, while everyone else was struggling... and VALVe more or less kind of grunted through it afterward. At first they bashed Sony and the PS3 for their infamously convoluted SDK, but muddled through it after the frustrations in trying to get Orange Box on console to get updates like the PC releases traditionally got. It was then an unorthodox move of open-ness from Sony that got them the lead build of a console Portal 2, since VALVe got the permits to update and add in content to the PS3 copy the same way that they could update it on PC.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

I'm really not surprised by that, epic and valve are two hands down amazing developers. Heck even bethesda hasn't grunted through the ps3's backasswards coding to put out the skyrim expansions. I'm not surprised id and crytek put out tech demos that can do it, but only game published by beth can use id's engines so in my mind they are a moot point at this point in time. Cry tech and epic engines may be licensed out and put real support for moar cores on games but that requires people license the engines from epic and valve, which if the old ones work well enough a lot of companies wouldnt put out the money for new ones.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state
reply to C0deZer0

Not only could they update, Sony let Valve attach some form of Steam to their PS3 games, something microsoft would never do.

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
reply to me1212

Yea, I'm stunned to read about the dev blogs on how Bethesda still can't figure out how to solve the massive memory leak that has plagued the engine since Fallout, and seems to have been magnified further with Skyrim.

That's been one perpetual gripe from me regarding Sony... they seem to have nobody in their company that knows how to make an SDK worth a damn - especially at launch for a new console. Thankfully some talented devs have been able to muddle through each generation to implement new features that help the dev community at large each generation, but there's still no excuse to make it so ass-poor from the beginning. Seriously, if you were around to pay attention to some of the stuff going on in dev blogs regarding each console generation, You'd swear it was as if Sony was actively trying to screw up as much as possible while still being successful.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

WTF? You are stunned?? Have you followed Bethesda AT ALL on the pc thru Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Skyrim, and notice that while they make excellent, fun games, basically the mod community fixes the holes?

There's no mod community to fix bethesdas issues on the ps3 sadly.

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

Yea. I'm stunned any of their games is allowed to pass Sony QA with their epically broken shit.

It's why I refuse to touch a Bethesda-made game. I refuse to pay full price for a game that has less polish and more game-breaking bugs than a typical indie romhack.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to C0deZer0

" You'd swear it was as if Sony was actively trying to screw up as much as possible while still being successful."

I am certain they are at this point, if they include the thing that ties each disk to a console to kill to used games market then there will be no doubt left for anyone.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to Metatron2008

I could care less about the hardware behind a console. If it's lacking features I need (ie. plays games, WiFi, etc.), that's when I begin to question my purchase.