All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to Rattler

to Rattler

Re: Verizon FIOS Battery Backup

Ive wondered about the auxillary port on the BBU as well. Ive never seen a unit plugged into that thing, does something exist for it?

Back to the FioS DV Vs. FiOS POTS /regulated... in some states, Verizon may be mandated to supply a certain amount of battery backup. I dont think FiOS can circumvent that if its NOT FiOS Digital Voice.

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler

said by ITALIAN926:

Ive wondered about the auxillary port on the BBU as well. Ive never seen a unit plugged into that thing, does something exist for it?

I'm not talking about the aux port as I think that it does NOT provide a charging voltage to a battery connected to it. I was talking about disconnecting the internal battery and reconnecting its leads to a larger, external one.

The Blue Top OPTIMA, D34M battery has a 55 AH rating (should give over 60 hours of backup), is sealed and I've been running a pair in my boat for over 6 years and one in my car for over 5. I keep the boat batteries on a smart charger over the Winter put-up season and they have been very reliable. I had them tested this past fall and they passed fine but are probably nearing the end of their service life.

There was a discussion about using the BBU aux port, a little while ago, and someone (birdfeeder? Polo Dude?) linked to a post about using it but I can't find it right now.
JackBauer
join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer

said by Rattler:

I keep the boat batteries on a smart charger over the Winter put-up season and they have been very reliable.

Which smart charger do you use?

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to Rattler

MVM

to Rattler
said by Rattler:

battery has a 55 AH rating (should give over 60 hours of backup),

I have done some performance tests using a larger battery connected as you said. A new 35AH battery replaced the good condition 7AH battery. My BBU is hacked to provide phone/data/video during a power outage. (I would have no fortitude to simulate a power outage otherwise. What? no internet until tomorrow? The natives would get very restless. )

7AH runs at least 6 hours. 35AH runs 18. There's a circuit which monitors battery drain which shuts off ONT before battery is depleted. I believe that circuit is designed for a 7AH battery which may be why the 35AH only goes to 18 hours instead of 30 like I'd expect.

Ordinarily, when the internal battery level is low enough to shut down the ONT, one could then press the blue Emergency Use button which runs the ONT until the battery hits 10V. For a rechargeable depleting that low causes damage and while it will charge again and maintain, that battery now has a shorter life. The ReplaceBattery sensor will kick in sooner.

My suggestion, based on numerous tests on my BBU, is to maintain the 7AH internal battery for its 6-8 hour life, and be prepared to manually connect your higher capacity battery off the Auxiliary Battery port. I have not yet completed that performance test. Day job interferes lately.

Jack, I never answered your question way back when. I use a NOCO Genius G750 smart charger to hold a battery charge in readiness. »www.amazon.com/NOCO-G750 ··· 04LX3AS6

The BBU charge circuit appears adequate to charge my 35AH battery under test, except it takes a long time and did trigger a ReplaceBattery condition. I pulled the power plug from the wall for a two-minute outage, then plugged back in to resume charging.

There is no capability of pulling power out of the Auxiliary port. It is strictly for power input. I haven't found the right size barrel connector. Actually, I did once but I can't find it again. It was the exact size for ID and OD but was part of a different voltage-rated wall wart. I found it while looking for something else, so I set it aside. Kicking myself for not pulling it out.

Original post »FiOS BBU operation [long post]

Someone recently said to disconnect the signal return between BBU and ONT, but that ended up shutting everything down after 15 minutes. Maybe that works on a different BBU, just not on mine.

This works for me. »Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I keep data and TV service active during battery operation?

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler to JackBauer

to JackBauer
said by JackBauer:

said by Rattler:

I keep the boat batteries on a smart charger over the Winter put-up season and they have been very reliable.

Which smart charger do you use?

It's a Guest (by Marinco) 2614A, marine dual battery charger designed to be installed in the engine space on an inboard boat (must be ignition protected). It is a 3-stage charger that looks at the battery state and applies full rated output (10A or 5A depending on which battery bank it's outputs are connected to) until the battery voltage reaches an "almost charged" set point, then it goes into "Absorption" mode which lowers the current to about 60% of the full load value until the battery reaches what is considered fully charged state and then it drops the charge current back to 0-3A to maintain a float level on the battery, depending on what the battery voltage is doing.

Its designed to not "cook" the batteries once they attain full charge.
JackBauer
join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer

said by Rattler:

It's a Guest (by Marinco) 2614A, marine dual battery charger designed to be installed in the engine space on an inboard boat

Thanks - was just curious because I bought an Xtreme Charge about a month ago and it saved two batteries a Ctek 7002 could not. I was amazed.

Darn thing needs to be fixed though, has a problem with the LEDs and it's kinda annoying I have to send it back to be repaired after only having it a month, but again... It saved me from replacing a car battery on a car that come off lease relatively soon. A great investment to save sulphated batteries. Love that thing.