Hit up zellers fast they got racks :D

Just picked up this for $50 at Zellers

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
I've gone to all the local Zeller closeouts in my area, never seen computer racks available.

cpsycho

join:2008-06-03
HarperLand
You have to ask about it, this one was not advertised up front. They brougtht me in the back and there was a tag on it for $50.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to cpsycho
nice, damn!!!

the zellers nearby was already converted to a walmart...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

1 recommendation

reply to cpsycho
Everyone likes a nice rack.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to cpsycho
said by cpsycho:

Just picked up this for $50 at Zellers

That's a steal, wish I knew about that before the ones near us closed.

Edit: Whereabouts did you get this? All the stores are listed as closed or 'closing' in November / December - »www.zellers.com/liquidation/en/default.aspx

cpsycho

HarperLand
Zellers in Orangeville.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to cpsycho
the meridian phone systems, although old, are going for cheap too, most are 8x24s or mics. great for parts for any interconnects out there.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to cpsycho
said by cpsycho:

Zellers in Orangeville.

Closing date is listed "Wed.Dec.26,2012", did you get that recently or closer to that date?

cpsycho

HarperLand
Closing date changed

»www.citizen.on.ca/news/2012-08-0···ers.html

I get to pick it up then.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Cool, thanks! Will make a few phone calls...

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to telco_mtl
said by telco_mtl:

the meridian phone systems, although old, are going for cheap too, most are 8x24s or mics. great for parts for any interconnects out there.

Good idea - I'm always getting calls for people looking for small key systems or extra handsets...

Off to Zellers on Monday...

Jeffer71

join:2008-09-13
Carrying Place, ON
reply to cpsycho
Been there done that already!

Picked up some racks, ladders, carts and a older than dirt cash register for a back-up.

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to cpsycho
The same thing is happening at the Zellers in Erin Mills Town Centre. Everything "40-60% off" including store fixtures.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to cpsycho
U42 is a good size for a rack, I wish mine had split doors at the rear. How deep is it (front to back)?

Months back they had been trying to sell their store safes down here, the advertised them as "cash and carry" - well good luck 'picking up' one of them.

cpsycho

HarperLand
Seemed to be 24, only took a quick look and looked at the price tag mostly. When I saw $50, equipment still in it, I guessed everything was there so I said sold. Shook the persons hand and signed the paperwork.

noemails

@bell.ca
if your in ottawa the zellers on st laurent is still selling off everything in the store

OverrRyde

join:2007-04-10
Waterdown, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to mr weather
said by mr weather:

The same thing is happening at the Zellers in Erin Mills Town Centre. Everything "40-60% off" including store fixtures.

That Zellers still opened? I also checked their website and they all say closed or closing in Dec 2012...

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
I can confirm that the website closing dates, which I linked above, are inaccurate.

I checked into a nearby Pen Centre and the prices are still silly for many items, not liquidation price. Some regular household goods are on sale at local alternatives like Walmart for a lower price!

Even their beat up used office equipment was too much. No phones or network racks unfortunately.

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to OverrRyde
said by OverrRyde:

said by mr weather:

That Zellers still opened? I also checked their website and they all say closed or closing in Dec 2012...

I remember seeing signs up at the store itself that said they were closing March 2013.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
what would i be able to use that rack for?

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by Paolo:

If you don't know then it's not for you.

But in the event you're curious, they're used for servers, audio equipment, battery backups for servers, network switches, IP telephony equipment, etc. All this stuff is designed for the width of such a rack.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada
cool, i would love to have a rack for stuff like that, but first i gotta wait for the need to buy servers and network switches, wait a sec, why are people putting servers and network switches and vackup equiptment in their house? why not just use a data centre for that?
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
reply to cpsycho
Can't get a rack that size. I'll be too tempted to fill it up!

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Paolo
said by Paolo:

cool, i would love to have a rack for stuff like that, but first i gotta wait for the need to buy servers and network switches, wait a sec, why are people putting servers and network switches and vackup equiptment in their house? why not just use a data centre for that?

Presumably because they have a need for the equipment in their home rather than in an alternate location.

"The cloud" is still limited by how much data we can transfer between our homes and a data center, hindered by speed and bandwidth caps so if someone wants to house a large amount of data, say their entire movie collection or TV shows, or pictures, or music, or who knows what, they might want to mount it in a rack.

If you have a number of rooms with network jacks, some home automation equipment, some high end home theatre equipment, etc., god knows what...

Then let's say you want to put a monitor, mouse and keyboard in there...

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada
don't forget the added cost of hydro powering up all that gear, makes u wonder is it really worth it at times? is it a need or a want?
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Both. Some of us have gone so far as to add up the 24/7 running cost of our equipment...

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
At my office, I have two servers, two monitors, two modems, one router, two 120v fans, one phone and a 4 battery UPS consuming a total of 120 watts when idle.

That's the equivalent of two 60 watt incandescent light bulbs.

Of course, it all goes up when I actually use the computers, but not too much, and definitely not for 24 hours per day.

Choose your components wisely, and you'll find out they consume a whole lot less power than other appliances in your home, some of which you could probably turn off!
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

cpsycho

HarperLand
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Paolo
said by Paolo:

said by Paolo:

I got a mail server, web server, pfsense box, 24port gigabit switch. Home media file server with mediacore on it. I run a minecraft server and one other game server (for personal use, no outside connection) I might get in trouble for mentioning. I have another box with 2 virtual win xp on it for spiceworks (this will probably grow). I will most likely be ordering a rack backups system in the future as well.

The most expensive part to all this. Buy rackmount cases.

Warez_Zealot

join:2006-04-19
Vancouver
said by cpsycho:

said by Paolo:

said by Paolo:

I got a mail server, web server, pfsense box, 24port gigabit switch. Home media file server with mediacore on it. I run a minecraft server and one other game server (for personal use, no outside connection) I might get in trouble for mentioning. I have another box with 2 virtual win xp on it for spiceworks (this will probably grow). I will most likely be ordering a rack backups system in the future as well.

The most expensive part to all this. Buy rackmount cases.

I just scored one of these in the dumpster. One of our clients tossed out a few loaded with 64GB ram/ 500GB HDD's and 1TB HDD's. All in working order.

If you lived in the area, there are about another 2 kicking around the recycle bin minus the HDD's.

»www.tyan.com/product_board_detai···?pid=445
--
"You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who says it."-Malcolm X