spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nichol

@ubtanet.com

Ford Expedition grinding ice

I have a 99 ford expedition, we thought it was turning over after started, but after replacing the starter it still makes the sound. I had my dad look at it and figured we are getting no liquid through the radiator hose and every once in a while the engines pace slows down and a grinding sound occurs, we are thinking that there is ice in the water pump. any ideas on how to thaw it out? We were just going to let it run but how bad can teeth grinding against ice be on it?

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1

Ice in the water pump?!

I have a feeling you may need to come up with a different theory.

Unless it's really cold or you're not using a proper coolant, you shouldn't have ice there, but if it does, the heat from the engine should melt it.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

nichol

@ubtanet.com

1 recommendation

reply to Nichol

I think your right, the more I let it run the more glitchy and smelly it gets. I prefer fixing the easy stuff when I'd can ,.I don't know what next to try

nichol

@ubtanet.com

1 recommendation

reply to aurgathor

Okay well we left it running a while and when it starts and stops.grinding you can see the belts slow down , the longer it went on and off electrical glitches started, the wipers would move when it stopped, and the inside of the car started to smell like melting plastic and dash light flickered. I turned it off due to the smell and it won't start now. I was going to try and make it to autozone but I might have to take it to a shop if I can't find the issue.

Rifleman
Premium
join:2004-02-09
p1a
reply to Nichol

Sounds like the engine is now seized. I was thinking the problem may have been a bad bearing on the idler pulley or other item driven by the belt-----but if you let it overheat badly---you probably cooked your engine------which would now be toast.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to Nichol

It sounds like you may have a flywheel that is hitting the starter gear or drive end. Did the old starter have any shims that didn't get used on the replacement unit? Was the entire flywheel and ring gear inspected for cracks and for damaged teeth?

Or you possibly have a cracked or broken flex-plate if you have an automatic trans.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxeoCrqtAwU

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=66UDst7dqyA

--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to Nichol

Sounds like a seized alternator.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Nichol

Well if it was ice you are probably sol as far as the water pump goes. That being said more than likely its the idler pulley seizing up. Pretty common on the triton motor you have. Im guessing remove the belt and you will be able to see where it is seizing up. Or just do as i would and cut the belt off and see if it goes away. Its not like you will be reuseing the belt anyway. 5 Minutes to remove versus 5 seconds to cut. You pick it. Them idlers can get mighty noisy when the bearing is going bad. The smell would make me lean more to the idler than anything else. Its the belt burning up. If you can put a starter on you can replace the belt and idler. Remember the belt diagram is on the front when you lift the hood. Makes it easy to install the new belt

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA

1 edit
reply to mattmag

I do agree could also be the alternator but im leaning towards the idler because of the burning of the belt. The alternator can get noisy as hell also but tends to stop charging way before it seizes and burns up the belt.

Nichol

@173.240.43.x
reply to Nichol

Thanks, we are going to take out the control module under the dash and replace that because it was buzzing after trying to let it run. I replaced an alternator maybe 8 months ago, I replaced the starter last week. I replaced the fuel pump and filter a month ago. Its one thing after another with this vehicle, I am hoping it is a small electrical issue to get it to turn over again. the grinding of gears that goes off and on, is yet to be solved. I can hear the sound somewhere by the belts, below the alternator. Thanks for the help! wish me luck! lol

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA

U sure your wires are not shorted at the starter? The engine should turn over.

Nichol

@ubtanet.com
reply to Nichol

We are worried there is a short, I have heard the way everything keeps going out that there might be a short on the ground. I am going to tow it to a Ford Dealership. Thanks for all the help everyone. I like replacing and maintenancing the small stuff but I am afraid this expedition has some kind of short that is causing this chain reaction, It only runs 2 or 3 months before another power source is going out, alternator, battery twice in a year, starter, fuel pump, and whenever you replace a fuse that went out, another fuse somewhere else goes out. I appreciate all the advice and I believe it time to take it to a professional