spc
Search similar:

uniqs
FactChecker
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03

FactChecker

Premium Member

[Caps] Cord-Cutter's Unite! - How did you do it?

Short description of your setup:

How many hours / day does your family "watch TV" in total (note Neilson has the average at about 5 hours / day)

How would you break down your video watching percentages?
• OTA Real-time Network TV - %
• OTA DVR'd Network TV
• Netflix
• Amazon
• Hulu
• Vudu
• Apple iTunes
• YouTube
• P2P video
• Other

How do you break down your video device watching %'s
• Via PC based Media Server to TV
• Via AppleTV, Roku or similar to TV
• Via Tivo
• Via Game console to TV
• Via SmartTV/DVR
• Tablet
• PC

Which Internet product/speed do you have?

How much Internet data did you consume before you "cut-the-cord"

How much Internet data do you consume since you "cut-the-cord"

What are you happy with and what do you miss?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I'll never cut the cord. As a matter of fact, I just upgraded to the Xfinity Triple Play Premier, which includes more channels and whole house DVR.

I watch a lot of TV (weather channel, Fox News, among other things) that is not available from OTA or other sources (except dish/direct).

I grew up with OTA TV and the lack of programming and poor picture/sound quality made my family decide to get cable. I think we got cable during my junior year in high school and I'll never go back to OTA.
scajjr
join:2005-03-01
Kingston, NH

scajjr to FactChecker

to FactChecker

HTPC (AMD A10-5700 APU/8Gb ram/128Gb SSD/Win7x64 connected to Samsung 42" PlasmaTV & Pioneer A/V 5.1 receiver) in Living Room, 2 bedrooms w/32" LCD TVs & AMD A4 APU based HTPCs, 2 desktops in mine& wife's den/offices w/TV tuner cards, Synology Diskstation w/two 2Tb HDD. 2 OTA antennas pulling in about 27 stations.

How many hours / day does your family "watch TV" in total (note Neilson has the average at about 5 hours / day)

12-14 hours a day (currently have daughter, son-in-law and 20 month old grandson staying with us so a TV/PC is on most of the day)

• OTA Real-time Network TV - 20%
• OTA DVR'd Network TV -0%
• Netflix 0% (don't have a subscription)
• Amazon -1% (have Amazon Prime, don't use it much)
• Hulu -1%
• Vudu -0%
• Apple iTunes -%
• YouTube -5%
• P2P video -30% (we have a PlayOn subscription)
• Other -43% ( movies, TV show seasons, etc.

• Via PC based Media Server to TV -80%
• Via AppleTV, Roku or similar to TV- don't own
• Via Tivo- don't own
• Via Game console to TV -don't own
• Via SmartTV/DVR- don't own
• Tablet- 0%

Blast 50/Mbps

How much Internet data did you consume before you "cut-the-cord"
didn't keep track

still don't keep track

Happy saving over $100 a month, do miss having sports networks.

Sam
LocutusBorg
Premium Member
join:2005-12-25
Revere, MA

1 edit

LocutusBorg to FactChecker

Premium Member

to FactChecker
del

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS to FactChecker

MVM

to FactChecker
I never had a cord to cut. No cable or satellite. I can't justify spending $99 a month to watch six shows on two channels. I rely on OTA, recorded media (mostly DVD), and Hulu Plus.

Internet is Sonic.net "Fusion". 15/.7 Mbps ADSL2+.
mrschultz02
join:2007-09-10
Wallingford, PA
Asus RT-AC88

mrschultz02 to FactChecker

to FactChecker
I didn't cut completely but dropped down to limited basic for the OTA channels (can't get OTA signals in my apartment). Did this about 2 years ago.

Internet plan is Performance (16/2).

Have a Roku XS, Apple TV (2nd gen), Blu-Ray, and Samsung smart TV all connected to the internet.

Got Netflix streaming when I dropped down to basic, already had an amazon prime account for the shipping, I was using iTunes for the few TV shows I like but switched to Amazon about 6 months ago. I try to get the HD season pass for the half dozen shows I like to get when they air.

I've used the free setup credits you get when setting up Vudu on your devices to test it out, plan on switching to that for rentals instead of Amazon or iTunes, their 1080 stream does look better on my 46" TV.

My cable bill dropped about $65 a month and I spend an average of about $20 a month to replace what I missed. So about $500 a year savings here.

Some shows I was getting the DVD or Blu-Ray sets each season anyway, so now I just wait until they come out on disc to watch them.
turnerbrewer
join:2011-11-22

turnerbrewer

[Caps] Cord-Cutter's Unite! - How did you do it?
Tivo Premiere with OTA Antenna
Apple Tv
Roku HD
XBOX 360

My Family watches on average about 5 hours of TV a day

• OTA Real-time Network TV - 5%
• OTA DVR'd Network TV 5%
• Netflix 20%
• Amazon 20%
• Hulu 0%
• Vudu 10%
• Apple iTunes 20%
• YouTube 10%
• P2P video 10%
• Other

• Via PC based Media Server to TV 10%
• Via AppleTV, Roku or similar to TV 60%
• Via Tivo 10%
• Via Game console to TV 10%
• Via SmartTV/DVR
• Tablet 10%
• PC

Internet Speed is 30/6

How much Internet data did you consume before you "cut-the-cord" >150gig

I like being able to watch programming when I want to. I like being able to fast forward thru commercials or not watch them at all.
I love not having to pay the cable company $100 a month to watch TV.
There is nothing that I miss about Pay TV.. It is a dinosaur that needs to go away...
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to FactChecker

Premium Member

to FactChecker
I dont think hula netflix or any of that crap really factors in at all with cord cutters. I have all of that but i also have cable tv. LMAO everyone i know that has that also has cable tv. Now the people i know that dont have cable also dont have the other junk. Either way i really doubt in the real world people subsitute cable for hula and amazon and such.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 recommendation

Johkal

MVM

Kinda like vegetarians who think it's ok to each fish & poultry. LOL!
kaila
join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

kaila to FactChecker

to FactChecker
After the Superbowl I plan to turn the cable boxes in and go internet only. I currently have the old 'Ultra' 24/5 package ($62.95 w/TV), and may go with the 30/6 'Blast' package if it turns out to be a better deal- it's priced @ $72.95 standalone here.

I have Netflix/Amazon Prime/Hulu subscriptions already and will rely on a Roku box to pull them all together. I definitely will give Aereo a try when it's available here (Chicago market) and may round things out with PlayOn.

We stream heavily already, and expect our usage to go up some but probably no more than 50GB/mo. Historically our usage is typically between 180~230GB/mo.
mrschultz02
join:2007-09-10
Wallingford, PA
Asus RT-AC88

mrschultz02 to rody_44

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

I dont think hula netflix or any of that crap really factors in at all with cord cutters.

I know in my case having those services made the decision to drop channels much easier. Once I did the math and realized I could stream the half dozen shows I like way cheaper than it was costing to keep a ton of channels I wasn't watching it became an easy decision. If there was no alternative I probably would not have done it.

Kraphty
Lost In Translation
Premium Member
join:2002-10-14
Campbellsville, KY

Kraphty to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

...Either way I really doubt in the real world people substitute cable for hula and amazon and such.

You would be wrong in that assumption then.

We cut the cord about a year ago after moving to cable internet from dsl.

Our setup is mainly consoles PS3's and Xbox's. We also have a roku and we use laptops.

Netflix and amazon are our only services and are probably 80/20 on the percentage. All other streams are from the providers site directly with no subs. We initially also subscribed to Hulu+ but didn't get enough value from it so we cancelled fairly early on.

Never kept track of pre cord cutting usage.

Post cord cutting usage has us increasing 10-20Gb a month but I am betting we will level off at 180-200Gb.

I miss the simple interface of cable\satellite to find a show, web interfaces especially from consoles or roku leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to searching or just browsing.

Immediate viewing on cable\sat is also missed I never realized how surfing with a TV remote was so convenient.

Despite all that NOT paying 100+ a month is worth it.
biomesh
Premium Member
join:2006-07-08
Tomball, TX

biomesh to FactChecker

Premium Member

to FactChecker
I have business class internet, but dropped cable a few months ago. After doing some research on what we watch - there were only a handful of shows/series that were not on broadcast TV. Some of these are available online for free and the rest you can buy from amazon.

We do not watch sports - so this was not going to be an issue.

Many of the series we did watch on cable had been canceled or were ending. Even though the cost for cable was increasing the value has been decreasing.

To 'cut the cord' we:

- Added an antenna to watch OTA broadcast shows - better quality picture than comcast
- Added rokus to every TV (already had a couple of them)
- Use Playon to stream shows from online to roku and Nexus 7 devices

We watch content from

- Amazon (been a prime member for a long time)
- Playon (online video sources)
- OTA (recorded via TiVos)

The cost to buy the few shows/series we watch ends of being $8-$16 a month (if there is any new content). I like that I am not paying $70 a month for cable when the shows I watch are on for only part of the year.