share rss forum feed

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
reply to OHN

Re: What Specialization Would You Choose Now?

get your ccie.
you'll never be without a job again. and you'll easily be able to make 6-figs.

q.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
said by tubbynet:

get your ccie.

q.

Got coffee on my monitor, damn it.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to tubbynet
said by tubbynet:

get your ccie.

q.

Wish I had the money to get that.
and I feel I'd need to take some classes to get all the info in my head.
--
»Death Star Petition

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ
said by DarkLogix:

said by tubbynet:

get your ccie.

q.

Wish I had the money to get that.
and I feel I'd need to take some classes to get all the info in my head.

its not cheap.
written is $350. lab is $1500. labs are only in san jose or rtp, so count on airfare, food, hotel, etc.

well worth it though.
even crappy ccies can bump around from job to job and do well for themselves.
the good ones can command a lot. especially in a sales engineer role.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
So about $2k just to take the test.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
said by DarkLogix:

We have someone who works at Xerox who has a CCIE and he is awesome. Took him a couple years to get it, but he says it was worth it. The guy lives, breathes, and eats Cisco. I would rather work on server/network infrastructure and IT Strategy.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ
reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

$2k just *for* the test.
i have my r/s lab attempt scheduled for march 27th.
my company is anticipating close to $3k just for me to fly there/back, food, transportation, and hotel.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
And if you should fail?

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ
reply to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

said by DarkLogix:

We have someone who works at Xerox who has a CCIE and he is awesome. Took him a couple years to get it, but he says it was worth it. The guy lives, breathes, and eats Cisco. I would rather work on server/network infrastructure and IT Strategy.

i've seen a lot of great ccie's. i've also seen a lot of shitty ones. i've also met a lot of amazing engineers/architects, who haven't a cert to their name.
in the end -- its all about passion and interest in the field. the ccie is just something that provides instant "knowledge" recognition to customers/potential employers.

i'm well respected in the southwest region as a knowledgeable route/switch/wan/datacenter engineer. however, i do run into many instances with customers who want "the numbers after the name". sometimes i can overcome -- others won't have discussions long enough to see my knowledge.

q.
--

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ
reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

And if you should fail?

they'll pay for three attempts.
plus a single bootcamp. most other study materials i can expense as well.

i've been working here for 6 years -- and am usually put on the most difficult accounts at a principal engineer/architect level for durations of projects/programs.
i am also involved in high-level architecture/design/discovery meetings with our sales teams for route/switch/wan/datacenter projects.

needless to say -- the company will benefit greatly by my having the numbers just as much as i will.

q.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
Cool

I feel I need to look into moving on to another job, initial I was working with the network but due to corp office bad ideas I'm stuck working with users.

They split IT into user services and infrastructure, and the office I'm in only has 2 IT people so I got the shaft out of that deal (though they also moved to Juniper crap that crashed ever few months. so um)
--
»Death Star Petition

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to tubbynet
said by tubbynet:

said by Nightfall:

said by DarkLogix:

i've seen a lot of great ccie's. i've also seen a lot of shitty ones. i've also met a lot of amazing engineers/architects, who haven't a cert to their name.
in the end -- its all about passion and interest in the field. the ccie is just something that provides instant "knowledge" recognition to customers/potential employers.

i'm well respected in the southwest region as a knowledgeable route/switch/wan/datacenter engineer. however, i do run into many instances with customers who want "the numbers after the name". sometimes i can overcome -- others won't have discussions long enough to see my knowledge.

q.

Yup, I agree with you.

This really is the shameful part when it comes to education. Some places won't even consider you without the college degree while others will. Same goes for people who say you have to have the CCIE or CCNP. These days, just saying you can do it doesn't cut it.

This is why having the best well rounded education is really the best thing. There are three areas that everyone in IT should have on their resume.

1. Experience
2. Education
3. Certifications

If you lack something in one of those areas, then you are closing doors or opportunities. Its a buyers market out there right now. There are many candidates that are strong in all three areas. By being weak in one of those areas, you are less likely to get that job or raise.

So, when you say that customers want "the numbers after the name", that is very true. Its just as true when it comes to the education and experience portion of things as well.
--

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ
said by Nightfall:

So, when you say that customers want "the numbers after the name", that is very true. Its just as true when it comes to the education and experience portion of things as well.

for a network admin job -- i'd agree. well rounded with education matters -- especially in terms of communication, etc.

however -- i've not seen as much emphasis on the education in your bona fides when doing consulting work in the network field. i will say that having my bsee has greatly helped my understanding of the physical architecture aspects of these devices and knowing what they can/can't do -- but i wouldn't say that its a requirement.

however, as with everything -- your mileage may vary. i'm a great proponent of having a college degree anyway -- especially in something useful. if the network world ever turns to shit -- or i get burned out -- i have something widely accepted (a four year degree in an engineering area of study) that is "good" for a resume.

q.
--

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
said by tubbynet:

said by Nightfall:

for a network admin job -- i'd agree. well rounded with education matters -- especially in terms of communication, etc.

however -- i've not seen as much emphasis on the education in your bona fides when doing consulting work in the network field. i will say that having my bsee has greatly helped my understanding of the physical architecture aspects of these devices and knowing what they can/can't do -- but i wouldn't say that its a requirement.
q.

Yea, we are pretty much in agreement. When it comes to consulting, most companies don't care about a consultant's education. What I was referring to was trying to get a job with a company and what most companies want in terms of the "big 3 requirements".

As you said, YMMV.

I wish you luck on your CCIE.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to tubbynet
How much is the boot camp?

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ
10-day bootcamps are usually upwards of $5k, not including transport, hotel, etc.

they are used as a last-minute refresher/cram session for the ccie. you should only attend one if you feel you're ready to take the lab after months of self study.

q.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
So likely looking at atleast $10k
$2k test
$5k extra prep
$3k misc
--
»Death Star Petition

tubbynet
Premium,MVM
Chandler, AZ
said by DarkLogix:

$2k test
$5k extra prep
$3k misc

assuming you pass the lab on the first shot.
very low percentage of takers actually do.

q.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
said by tubbynet:

said by DarkLogix:

$2k test
$5k extra prep
$3k misc

q.

Ya that's a best case cost scenario
--
»Death Star Petition

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
said by DarkLogix:

said by tubbynet:

said by DarkLogix:

$2k test
$5k extra prep
$3k misc

q.

Ya that's a best case cost scenario

The guy who I know who is a CCIE who works at Xerox said to add about 5k to that figure. That factors in all the other tests, materials, and so on. Plus, you have an additional trip to take the exam. He passed it his first time though.
--

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to OHN
I'm in a development role right now... and so long as I don't have to go back and work through ten+ year old Access database applications turned classic ASP turned ASP.NET 2.0.... I'm fine. I also want nothing to do with "Access" ever again.

I certainly lean towards a systems role. I am still more interested in networking than programming or systems administration. I got my Network+ in high school but was never able to turn it into something. Like most things, I imagine given 6 months, I could probably be muddling through with a decent skillset in the arena.

If I were to do it all over again (and I'm only 26), I would seriously consider NOT going into IT. Far, far too much keeping up with constantly evolving things. I like learning, but there's too much of it in this profession.
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

dev

@cox.net
reply to OHN
If I had to do it over again I would skip IT and go straight to dev work. Either way you should plan on eventually getting an MBA and going into management before you get replaced by some kid that convinces your manager he can do your job for half the salary.

Drex
Beer...The other white meat.
Premium
join:2000-02-24
Not There
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to OHN
I would have gotten my masters. I know...they tell me it's not too late, but unfortunately there's no time (or money) for me to go back. I also wish I had worked on my leadership skills. I seem to be lacking those and in this stage of my career it's really hurting me.

I wish I didn't get physically ill when I traveled too. I could have been working a great gig if that wasn't the case.
--
I'm actually not funny, I'm just really mean and people think I'm joking.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
said by Drex:

I wish I didn't get physically ill when I traveled too. I could have been working a great gig if that wasn't the case.

All you have to do is drink beer and not the water.