share rss forum feed

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to OHN

Re: What Specialization Would You Choose Now?

I'm in a development role right now... and so long as I don't have to go back and work through ten+ year old Access database applications turned classic ASP turned ASP.NET 2.0.... I'm fine. I also want nothing to do with "Access" ever again.

I certainly lean towards a systems role. I am still more interested in networking than programming or systems administration. I got my Network+ in high school but was never able to turn it into something. Like most things, I imagine given 6 months, I could probably be muddling through with a decent skillset in the arena.

If I were to do it all over again (and I'm only 26), I would seriously consider NOT going into IT. Far, far too much keeping up with constantly evolving things. I like learning, but there's too much of it in this profession.
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

dev

@cox.net
reply to OHN
If I had to do it over again I would skip IT and go straight to dev work. Either way you should plan on eventually getting an MBA and going into management before you get replaced by some kid that convinces your manager he can do your job for half the salary.

Drex
Beer...The other white meat.
Premium
join:2000-02-24
Not There
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to OHN
I would have gotten my masters. I know...they tell me it's not too late, but unfortunately there's no time (or money) for me to go back. I also wish I had worked on my leadership skills. I seem to be lacking those and in this stage of my career it's really hurting me.

I wish I didn't get physically ill when I traveled too. I could have been working a great gig if that wasn't the case.
--
I'm actually not funny, I'm just really mean and people think I'm joking.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
said by Drex:

I wish I didn't get physically ill when I traveled too. I could have been working a great gig if that wasn't the case.

All you have to do is drink beer and not the water.