spc
Search similar:

uniqs

elanp
@myvzw.com

elanp

Anon

Hot Water Runs Out Quickly: What's Wrong With My Water Heate

The hot water runs out really quickly all of a sudden. It just started a few days ago. I can only get about 3 inches in the tub before it goes cold. Before, I could take a 20-minute shower. I have an '01 Craftsmaster (gas). I've heard about dip tubes going bad, but I don't think that applies to this model. Any ideas?

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b

MVM

It applies to all tank-type heaters.

That heater (12 yr old? ) is on borrowed time. Don't even bother trying to fix it.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

you have a defective element.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

you have a defective element.

On a gas water heater?

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

is there such a thing? (in multiples i mean)
only reason he'd have SOME hot water.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to elanp

Premium Member

to elanp
Why don't you think you have a broken dip tube? Your symptoms, very little hot water, are exactly right for that problem.

elanp
@myvzw.com

elanp

Anon

Supposedly, dip tube problems are only with water heaters built in 1993-97.

jkj860
The Final Frontier
join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN

jkj860 to elanp

to elanp
I would agree with garys_2k on the dip tube. Seems obvious but check the temp setting. Mine got moved once and that was the last thing I looked at.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

Some newer dip tubes have a closed end... If there is something in the end of the tube clogging it, it can cause cold water to spray in a different direction, dropping the temperature of the tank..

Its rare to see a tube fall off, but its possible.. Only way to be sure is to take out the cold fitting, and check the tube by removing it with a set of needlenose.

I`d check for a cross connect first.. Turn off the cold valve feeding the heater, and make sure the hot pressure stops flowing. If it doesnt, you have cold water getting into the hot system somewhere, which will also drop the temp..

-j

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

1 recommendation

garys_2k to elanp

Premium Member

to elanp
You can also look inside by draining the tank and removing the drain fitting. If you can see the bottom of the dip tube resting on the floor of the tank (looking into the small hole left by the drain fitting, use a good, small mag light and get up close) then it's broken at the top.

If that's the case you have three choices: replace the tank (it is 12 years old), replace the dip tube (can be a bitch to get that fitting off and trying to remove it may permanently damage the tank) or feeding the inlet water into that drain fitting port. The last would be more of a plumbing project but it does work and you'll have no more dip tube issues. Your choice.

elanp
@myvzw.com

elanp

Anon

I bought a dip tube and read a bunch of articles on how to replace one, but I'm at a bit of a conundrum at the first steps. I turned the cold water off and put the temp on the lowest setting without turning off the pilot. The thing is: I tried to run hot water into the tub to empty the tank and maybe even get a hot bath out of the deal, but nothing comes out. The cold water, however, runs freely. That doesn't make sense to me. Is it safe for me to even proceed in trying to take the top off?

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

3 recommendations

Steve to elanp

to elanp
Did you have a sudden increase in the number of females in your home? This is highly correlated with reduced availability of hot water.

rjackal
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI

rjackal to elanp

Premium Member

to elanp
You're misunderstanding how the hot water system works. You need the cold water ON in order to provide the pressure for the hot water to come out of the tank.

The only way to drain the tank with the cold water OFF (i.e. without refilling the tank) is to use the drain valve on the bottom of the tank.
Hopefully you have a functioning floor drain near the tank, and a length of garden hose to get from the tank to the drain. Open a nearby hot water faucet to let air back in to the system so it will drain faster.

I'm thinking you should call a plumber, though.

Jtmo
Premium Member
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA

Jtmo to elanp

Premium Member

to elanp
Check your faucet aerators for bits of debris, that would be you dip tube gone if it is metal or plastic. If you have hard water, it could just be minerals.
The problem with putting in a new dip tube is you must have head room over the water heater that equals the length of the water heater. The bigger issue is the old tube is still lying on the bottom adding bits of plastic to your water supply.
So, if the dip tube is gone, new water heater since yours is 12 years old. Disconnect the cold supply to find out.

»www.ronhazelton.com/tips ··· lacement

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

From what Ive seen, you should NOT be attempting this.

Repairs always cost more after the homeowner fucks it up.

just a warning

-j

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium Member
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC

The E to elanp

Premium Member

to elanp
What he said!! ^^^^^

Why bother repairing a 12 year old water heater? It's almost certainly ready to rust-out and spew rust or worse, leak all over your home.

Also, if you're not aware of how the basic plumbing in your home works, are you sure you want to mess with the tank? Seems perilous!

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl

Premium Member

+1