j1349705
Premium Member
join:2006-04-15
Holly Springs, NC

j1349705 to Scotsman99

Premium Member

to Scotsman99

Re: [TWC] Time warner cable and Motorola Surfboard 6141

Your previous modem was not DOCSIS 3, so there could be an issue on TWC's side that only impacts DOCSIS 3 devices, but I kind of doubt it in this situation. Are you seeing any T3 or T4 timeouts anywhere in the modem logs?

If everything worked before and the modem is the only thing that changed, I would be inclined to try a different model of modem to rule out any strange firmware bugs or compatibility issues. There have been multiple firmware revisions since the one installed on your modem. Currently, TWC is currently refusing to even talk about pushing firmware updates to customer owned modems on the supported device list. You can't install it yourself either since Motorola won't provide it to customers and there is no interface to flash the update from the customer side.

The Zoom 5341J (note the J - the DOCSIS 3 8x4 model, not the old 5341 which is only 4x4 and not on the approved device list) is a good modem. A small number of people seem to have problems with it dropping the connection for a few seconds every 2.5 days, but that is a lot better than what you are seeing. It always comes back without a power cycle being required.

I assume you have already eliminated your router/firewall as the cause for the issue. I highly doubt that has anything to do with it but it makes sense to check just in case.