spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DarkScythe

join:2007-09-10
Brooklyn, NY

Thinking about switching from DSL.. Anything I should know?

Hey there, everyone,

I'm currently still stuck with Verizon DSL.
Even though I am one block away from my local CO, and I walk by it every day, they refuse to string my block up with FiOS for some reason. I see permits being handed out one block over, but they extend in the opposite direction.

What's worse, despite how close I am, I do not qualify for their 7mbps service. I am stuck at the 3mbps tier because one of the techs remarked how old our phone lines were.
He called them "lead cables" which is apparently worse than whatever normal copper cables are. They were strung up pre-1920, and he remarked that he was surprised I got any DSL service at all with those lines. (Keep in mind how close I am to the CO!)

Anyway, I had been intending to wait for FiOS to jump over, but it's been many years, and I am getting sick of waiting. The only alternative I have in my area is Optimum, which I avoided a long time ago due to reports of caps and throttling and all other sorts of annoyances. I just want to use my connection how I want. (I maxed my DSL 24/7 for like 5 months straight, and Verizon didn't really care.)

Anyway, now I am thinking about moving to OOL again, and since competition from FiOS rolled around, it seems most of my previous complaints have been dealt with or eliminated. Everything I find from the last year indicates that OOL no longer caps, no longer throttles, and no longer wants to block you for uploading for more than 2 minutes at a time. Is this correct?

The number of people in my household who need to get connected to the internet is growing, which is why DSL simply cannot cope anymore. I was looking at OOL's Boost Plus package, which should be sufficient for our needs, although the upload is a bit low compared to FiOS. Unfortunately, the latter isn't available, so it's a moot point. I just wanted to check with users here to make sure that I could similarly max that connection for a while and not have to deal with any headaches. Most likely, I shouldn't have to, but I do plan on setting up a server to stream music and movies to my phone and laptop on the go, etc.

As far as installation goes, as I understand it, the tech should simply need to drop a line down to the house, and drill a hole through the wall to pull it through, and I can have him terminate it there with a coax wall plate or something. Is there anything else that needs to happen? Trying to look up the installation procedure leads me to a ton of self-install information, which doesn't really help me since that requires a line already pulled to your house.

Finally, in terms of price, I have been getting a few conflicting quotes on the phone, so I have no idea what to believe.
The last person told me it would be $45/mo for the first year, and then $65/mo for the Boost Plus package. Is this right? I had been hearing $68 as well.

Sorry for the long post, but thanks to anyone who can fill in any information gaps for me.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online

No throttling or usage caps.
Go for the 15/2 service. It is so much faster than what you have, you may as well start there. You can always upgrade if needed, or cancel if it is not working out.

You've got nothing to lose by giving it a try - no contract, and I'm pretty sure you can pay nothing if you cancel in the first 30 days.

I think it is $30/mo for the first year, but that may only be if you bundle it with TV or phone.

I don't think they terminate with a wall plate. Just stick the cable through the wall, put a connector on it, and plug it into the modem.

When I got OOL 13 years ago, they wanted to charge an install fee. But there was no install fee for TV. So I got OOL and TV, did the OOL self install, then cancelled the TV.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to DarkScythe

Under promo, I'm guessing you'll get OOL for $30, +$15 for Boost Plus. After the year, it will be $50 ($55 without TV package above Basic) + $15 for Boost Plus. CV will not tinker with any existing wall jacks, but instead bring in a line from the outside & drill through the corner of any wall/floor necessary.

You can use what you get as much or as little as you want.

KeyLogger

join:2007-08-08
reply to DarkScythe

maybe the one you talked to, didn't know the price just increased $5?

should be $50/mo for the first year, and then $70/mo for the Boost Plus.

DarkScythe

Brooklyn, NY
reply to DarkScythe

15/2 I don't believe is enough for our usage, as we have 2 PC's (gamers) as well as an assortment of phones and other devices, as well as streaming HDTV. I'm sure theoretically the basic package can handle it, but pings would creep up, and at the cost of the basic package, it sounds like a no-brainer to pay the extra $15 to basically triple or quadruple the available bandwidth.

I am definitely thinking of at least trying them out, but I really want to make sure I have my facts straight before I make the call for an appointment. No contract sounds great, but are there any ETF's? I recall some kind of charges with the modem. I'll have to look it up.

Sounds good though, if they don't mind heavy/constant bandwidth usage scenarios.

As far as the installation is concerned, it sounds so far like they will pull in a line into your house somehow, but you guys are saying they won't terminate it with a wall jack at all? They have to just leave it as a cable coming through the wall into the modem?

And the pricing is very confusing.
I know people said prices increased by $5, and I also mentioned my confusion when the various CSR's (and the most recent, an "account manager") quoted me slightly different rates. The last "account manager" called me directly to see if I had any questions (I guess they want my business, haha) and I asked about the prices, and he seemed to know that prices went up. He put me on hold to double-check when I questioned the accuracy of his quotes, and he came back again with "$44.90/mo for the first year for Boost Plus, $64.90/mo after that."

He also offered an Economy Triple Play for $65/mo for 2 years, and $85/mo after that, but I'm not sure if we'd go for that. I don't really watch much TV as it is.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

4 edits

No wall jacks. They will probably just drill some holes and run a cable through the wall. They also love to staple cables along the baseboards. So if you don't want them to do that, tell the installer.

Price is $55/month for regular OOL with no TV, and $70/month for Boost+ with no TV.

Installation fee is $40. No contract. No ETF, but you have to return the modem when you terminate service.

That $65 triple-play is probably for regular OOL, not Boost+.

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to DarkScythe

said by DarkScythe:

15/2 I don't believe is enough for our usage, as we have 2 PC's (gamers) as well as an assortment of phones and other devices, as well as streaming HDTV.

15/2 would be plenty for that. If you can do any one of those things with your 3mbps service, 15mbps will be more than enough.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

A variation of an old saying: If someone comes into your ice cream store wanting chocolate, you sell them chocolate.

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online

said by Bob4:

A variation of an old saying: If someone comes into your ice cream store wanting chocolate, you sell them chocolate.

Yep, a good salesman will sell you what you are buying, or more. I'm not selling anything.

When someone has a $10 bicycle with training wheels and is looking to buy a $5,000 bike, they may want to give a $1,000 bike a test ride first.
--
Expand your moderator at work

DarkScythe

Brooklyn, NY
reply to jaa

Re: Thinking about switching from DSL.. Anything I should know?

lol, I know what you are saying. I'm not being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn and wanting a fast connection.

As it stands, I currently cannot do any of those things with my connection. Heck, I can't even stream 720p off Youtube when I'm the only one using the connection. (Granted, this is probably more of a problem with Youtube than anything else.)

Right now it is simply 2 PC's connected to our DSL line, and it's already struggling. If we switch to OOL, in order to keep cost under control, we will also be canceling our DirecTV service, and I will likely move to streaming TV instead, which will at its worst consume about 7mbit or so (I think.) A 15mbit line will handle this fine, except with half the available bandwidth used up, our pings in games roughly doubles. I tested this by loading my paltry DSL line to half of its download, and then asked my friend using FiOS to load his line to 30mbit out of his available 65mbit down - he observed the same doubling of ping.

I'm not so crazy as to want to fight for getting the OOL Ultra service, but I am heavily balancing the usage scenarios in my household, hedging against worst case scenarios, and the cost of doing so. Boost Plus wouldn't be as easy a call if it was not only a $15 increase, when the base package costs $45 already - 33% increase in price for 380%+ increase in speed?

Thanks for the information though, Nyan Cat.
No wall jacks is a bit of a bummer. Is this their policy to actively refuse wall jacks, or something? Sounds like it'd look awful with just a random cable coming in through a hole in the wall.

Thanks for the tip about the baseboards. The install will likely happen in my room, and I'm pretty particular about it, so I will definitely be watching them like a hawk. It's not a really long route anyway, just about 5-6 feet to get to my PC.

Is it $70 a month for Boost Plus on its own? I kept asking this account manager who kept referencing a $5 increase and kept putting me on hold to doublecheck some updated charts and came back to me with 64.90 multiple times.

I wasn't told of any installation fee either, but thanks for the heads up; I will ask about that, and see if there's a way around it.
Finally, the $65 triple play was based around an "Economy" TV package, but I forgot to doublecheck if this was regular OOL or Boost Plus OOL in its place. This account manager gave me his extension so I guess I will call him up tomorrow and go over a few things again.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

I don't think Cablevision will install wall jacks or fish wires through walls. But they will connect to existing wiring. You can install your own jack and run a cable to some place where CV can connect their feed. It depends on your house or apartment.

Are your computers using wired or wireless connections? You can place the modem anywhere (in a closet or out of sight in the basement) and run a single Ethernet cable to your router.* Or place the router next to the modem in an out of the way location if you're just using wireless.

It's hard to provide more details/suggestions without knowing your existing layout.

Regular OOL is now (or will be) $54.95 without TV service. Boost+ is an additional $14.95. That's a total of $69.90/month.

I'd expect you could get over-the-air TV just fine in Brooklyn.

You could get cable TV (iO Preferred) plus Boost+ for a discounted price for a year or two. I'm guessing $90 plus the cost of a cable box. When the promotion is up, just cancel the TV. They'd probably offer to extend the promotion anyway.

* You do have your own router, right?

DarkScythe

Brooklyn, NY

That could be problematic, as I don't really have any existing coax wiring. What if I bought a wall plate and gave it to them? Is there a technical reason they seem to avoid doing this?
I mean, either way there will be a cable running from the wall to the modem, just that it would look a lot neater with a wall plate.

As for the specifics of our setup, my PC is in my room, and as such, is where our modem and router sits. yes, I do have my own router - a DIR-655. Yes, I am aware these things can go pretty much anywhere, but again, I am very particular about the placement of these things. My brother's PC is on the other side of the house, but we remodeled a little while ago, and I had them run a long Cat-5e cable in the walls to connect each of our rooms and terminate in wall plates. For all other mobile devices, they use wireless connectivity. The PC's must maintain wired connectivity, because wireless is terrible in terms of consistent latency for gaming.

I will doublecheck tomorrow about the prices. I have no reason to doubt your numbers, but I have to find out why there's a discrepancy at all, whether he's giving me some sort of discount, or if he's looking at the wrong charts.

Over-the-air TV probably won't work either, as our TV is quite old. (It's the old CRT-style ones.) It doesn't matter to me personally because I really don't watch much TV anymore. I get my news online, I can stream some CNN if I need to, etc. The only people who watch TV nowadays are my parents who only watch Chinese channels, of which OOL only provides them with a single watchable channel which is unacceptable. Both of these together make it rather pointless to try bundling TV into the package, and the phone is not much of a selling point either because they currently receive basic phone service for about $1/mo from Verizon.

I wonder if they will extend the promotion for just Boost Plus, though.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28

Cablevision will not snake cables through walls.

You'll need to do that yourself or hire someone to do it for you.

DarkScythe

Brooklyn, NY

Oh, no, I wasn't going to have them snake any cables through the walls.

My room faces the back yard, so I was going to have them drill a hole through the wall from there, and then immediately terminate at a wall jack right there at the window.

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online

Get a wall jack for when they come. Worst case they can put a connector on the cable 3 inches from the wall, use the barrel connector on the wall jack to connect to a patch cable to your modem Then you can push the wall plate against the wall and screw it into the wallboard - or do it right with one of these: »www.monoprice.com/products/produ···odTxQA-Q

Best case the guy will do it for you (if you have the stuff), and then you can give him a nice tip.
--

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to DarkScythe

said by DarkScythe:

The PC's must maintain wired connectivity, because wireless is terrible in terms of consistent latency for gaming.

Maybe that's why I suck at playing MC Infected on this laptop. Of course, I suck at it when playing on my wired desktop system, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.