All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dantheman61
join:2013-01-16
London, ON

dantheman61

Is ciktel a good alternative to teksavvy?

Teksavvy has not updated there speed yet would ciktel be a good alternative.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb

Do they run their own, or simply resell Teksavvy or Distributel or start?

I know little to nothing about them.
dantheman61
London, ON

dantheman61

I don't know mush about them too but they have good cable packages were i live up to 150M/10M . Anyone know more about them?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to dantheman61

Premium Member

to dantheman61
IIRC correctly they are Teksavvy resellers.

eeeaddict
join:2010-02-14

eeeaddict

Don't think thats the case anymore seing the packages and trace routes I think they are on aggregate now. btw the 150mbps on their website is a LIE/mistake they only go up to 75mbps but otherwise seem pretty good

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

said by eeeaddict:

btw the 150mbps on their website is a LIE/mistake they only go up to 75mbps but otherwise seem pretty good

No it's not. As is the case of Rogers retail, some areas will get 150/10, others (the majority for now) will get 75/2.

Check the Ontario-R tab. "*only available at limited area. For area where download up to 150M and upload up to 10M not available, upload and download speeds are up to 2 Mbps and up to 75 Mbps are provided."

And yes they are on aggregate as only the new tiers up to 150/10 are on the aggregate tarrif.
dantheman61
London, ON

dantheman61

I used there chat thing and i gave them my postal code and they said i could get 150M/10M in my area. also it says it is unlimited but at the bottom it says "Unlimited Download governed by Fair Usage Policy and CRTC regulations." so how mush dose the fair usage policy allow?

eeeaddict

eeeaddict to BACONATOR26

to BACONATOR26
are you sure? I know my area is available and I even tried the order page (without any info entered) and I only saw 75mbps also confirmed by phone rep

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to dantheman61

Premium Member

to dantheman61
I've been wondering about them for a long time. Nobody in the know is talking.

»Who are the TPIAs?
»CIK Telecom advertising GTA cable service

They appear to be a stand alone aggregated TPIA provider, however, since they offer cable over IP like zazeen, I have to wonder if they aren't associated with Acanac/CIA/Distributel/3web/Zazeen et. al.

Back in the day, they advertised 7mbit/s DSL when that was impossible, and at another time they stated fair usage was 300GB/month, so definitely buyer beware. I'm sure the service is perfectly good though, otherwise this board would have a lot more negative stories about them.
Teddy Boom

Teddy Boom to dantheman61

Premium Member

to dantheman61
Bizarrely, if you click through the order forms, CIK is offering 25/35/45 plans to non-GTA Rogers areas, but Toronto is still limited to 18/28/32. Wow!

eeeaddict

eeeaddict

hehe another one of us stumped by the form

Toastertech
Premium Member
join:2003-01-05
Canada

1 edit

Toastertech to dantheman61

Premium Member

to dantheman61
It would appear that they also offer unlimited plans on Cogeco, maybe I should let them know that it is North not "Northy" Bay. Is there anyone here who is on their Cogeco offering?

Edit: spelling

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

I couple of CIK related threads that we should be cross referencing..

Has a tracert:
»CIK Telecom

Has some discussion of the TOS:
»CIK Telecom (TPIA Cogeco/Rogers)

tristen1230
join:2010-12-26
Belleville, ON

tristen1230 to dantheman61

to dantheman61
Wow in my area in Belleville I can get 60 down. Did not even know that was possible. I guess they are with Rogers since Rogers in my area has the highest down.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by tristen1230:

Wow in my area in Belleville I can get 60 down. Did not even know that was possible. I guess they are with Rogers since Rogers in my area has the highest down.

When did Rogers start selling cable in Belleville? I thought it was a Cogeco city.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to Toastertech

Anon

to Toastertech
said by Toastertech:

It would appear that they also offer unlimited plans on Cogeco

Cogeco stated to the CRTC that they have 7 resellers. Even with the math I can't make it if they are a reseller or a reseller of a reseller.

Who are the cogeco resellers? We have:
Start
Distributel (does Acanac fall under dustributel?)
IKTEL
Teksavvy

So that's only 4 or 5.

Who else resells cogeco?
vincom
join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

4 edits

vincom

well they are offering 25/2 in my area, bolton ont, but the order form doesnt have that option when trying todo it online, so i called and indeed it is offered but need to do it over the phone.
they are chinese, location idk but address is in toronto in a small office on consumers rd, but very hard to understand their english. they have 24/7 support for chinese, but only English - Monday to Friday - 9:00am - 12:00am (midnight); Saturday & Sunday - 9:00am - 6:00pm
they are offering all their modems at $99, the DCW775 is on sale for $99 reg $199.
if you are a noob id probably stay away, but im not so i would try them as there tech support might/will be someone speaking english w/chinese background.

To confirm, the 25/2 plan unlimited is 39.99/month for outside of toronto but you need to call them to order that service as their online ordering has not been updated.

probably might wait for the new aggregate pricing for other companies, but the only extra cost doing bussiness with ciktel is the setup fee $60-$30discount, as i need a modem anyway and the DCW775 for $99 is a good deal, they offer a 30 day refund on your first month of service(discounts will be charged), if not happy and any funny business with billing i will handle directly w/tdvisa , i'll decide within the next month if i will sign up with them

edit: they have a quite a few pymt options, even cash lol

haus99
@bell.ca

haus99 to hm

Anon

to hm
said by hm :

Who else resells cogeco?

There's Vianet.ca, surenet.net, ontera.ca and probably a couple of others nobody has ever heard of.. Most of these indies cater to very small areas and it's possible vianet is the largest TPIA for northern Ontario.
vincom
Bolton, ON

vincom

Click for full size
well it looks like they do false advertising, emails they sent state they offer 25m/2m, 1st pic is the offer, then when you click to order there is no 25/2 to choose from, they say to call to confirm, but what proof do i have they will honor what they say on the phone if there website ordering page doesnt offer it.
etech
join:2011-02-14

etech to vincom

to vincom
I am actually considering them too. They also have IPTV service which I may take if (and if..) Internet service is good and reliable. So far customer service has not been top notch when talking with them.

If I dont like their service I will cancel and switch but keep the modem. I dont know why Teksavvy doesnt have DCW775 on their supported modem list ?
vincom
Bolton, ON

2 edits

vincom

said by etech:

I am actually considering them too. They also have IPTV service which I may take if (and if..) Internet service is good and reliable. So far customer service has not been top notch when talking with them.

If I dont like their service I will cancel and switch but keep the modem. I dont know why Teksavvy doesnt have DCW775 on their supported modem list ?

start supports Technicolor DCW775 (STB5.01.51 as listed on their site so i suppose ts should also

got ciktel on the phone, can barely understand their english, they say yes to 25/2 but dont answer why its not posted on their order page, they say "not worry", lol ,ya, ok ,sure, looks like a scam to me, i'll wait for the new aggreagate pricing/caps to come out by the end of the month
etech

etech

yes saw that on start website. I can tell you they are losing customers just because they have lower data usage/bandwidth for the same price as other ISPs. Why 150GB instead of 300GB and lose customers ? I dont get that.
etech

etech to vincom

to vincom
I called them too. Horrible English no doubt.

They said to me that 25/2 is available now outside GTA and will be in GTA in a few months. Teksavvy didnt answer me if for 25/2 they will keep the same price that is now for cable 18.
vincom
Bolton, ON

vincom

but why is ciktel still showing 18m speeds on their order page but show 25 on their home page, scam, i bet they are not on aggregate yet, i get the feeling they'll take my money then state that bolton cant get cable since they are still on the old system of unaggregated
i agree with you on start, caps are too low, but we gotta wait for the new pricing model on aggregate, teksavvy web states no cable internet for me, gotta wait for them to start their aggragate system

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to vincom

Premium Member

to vincom
The speeds in that offer are for Rogers cable speeds available through aggregated POI. Based on the limited information we have available here on the forums it looks like they are dis-aggregated. We know all of the TPIA have to switch but perhaps these folks already have and we just don't know it yet?
vincom
Bolton, ON

vincom

said by creed3020:

The speeds in that offer are for Rogers cable speeds available through aggregated POI. Based on the limited information we have available here on the forums it looks like they are dis-aggregated. We know all of the TPIA have to switch but perhaps these folks already have and we just don't know it yet?

the speeds posted on their home page for outside gta are aggregated , but when you click "order" it shows the old dis-aggregated pricing
etech

1 edit

etech to vincom

to vincom
when I checked it says 18 in GTA tab on their page and on other tabs says 25/2 which goes to what I said earlier. In GTA as they told me they dont have 25 yet but outside they do and their form is not updated. There may be problems and will know. I have 30 days to cancel but in any case their customer service sucks.

I wanted to go with Teksavvy as they now have cable in my area but they refused to reduce activation fees to $30 like CIK is doing. Second option was START but too low bandwidth (GB).

I tried my best to go with Teksavvy (and would have stayed for years) but they are willing to lose customer for activation fees !!! oh well..

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to etech

Premium Member

to etech
said by etech:

yes saw that on start website. I can tell you they are losing customers just because they have lower data usage/bandwidth for the same price as other ISPs. Why 150GB instead of 300GB and lose customers ? I dont get that.

Most other Indie ISPs are losing money at the moment on certain plans, and/or cannot offer service to as many places as START does - look at Cogeco-Land - START's plans are STILL better deals than getting it from 'Da Man'.

START offers what they can honour, and honours what they offer.

When the CRTC finishes with the capacity tariffs for the new rates, START will adjust again for more generous caps, and TSI might bother with Cable AT ALL in certain areas.

moffa
join:2007-10-14
North York, ON

moffa to dantheman61

to dantheman61
Here is my speedtest:

On DSL 25/10.
vincom
Bolton, ON

vincom

said by moffa:

Here is my speedtest:

On DSL 25/10.

we're talking about cable for ciktel, my area, bolton ontario, the highest dsl we can get is 6meg, i see from your stats ur not getting ur full upload though