Search similar:

uniqs
vincom
join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

2 edits

vincom to etech

to etech

Re: Is ciktel a good alternative to teksavvy?

said by etech:

I am actually considering them too. They also have IPTV service which I may take if (and if..) Internet service is good and reliable. So far customer service has not been top notch when talking with them.

If I dont like their service I will cancel and switch but keep the modem. I dont know why Teksavvy doesnt have DCW775 on their supported modem list ?

start supports Technicolor DCW775 (STB5.01.51 as listed on their site so i suppose ts should also

got ciktel on the phone, can barely understand their english, they say yes to 25/2 but dont answer why its not posted on their order page, they say "not worry", lol ,ya, ok ,sure, looks like a scam to me, i'll wait for the new aggreagate pricing/caps to come out by the end of the month
etech
join:2011-02-14

etech

yes saw that on start website. I can tell you they are losing customers just because they have lower data usage/bandwidth for the same price as other ISPs. Why 150GB instead of 300GB and lose customers ? I dont get that.
etech

etech to vincom

to vincom
I called them too. Horrible English no doubt.

They said to me that 25/2 is available now outside GTA and will be in GTA in a few months. Teksavvy didnt answer me if for 25/2 they will keep the same price that is now for cable 18.
vincom
Bolton, ON

vincom

but why is ciktel still showing 18m speeds on their order page but show 25 on their home page, scam, i bet they are not on aggregate yet, i get the feeling they'll take my money then state that bolton cant get cable since they are still on the old system of unaggregated
i agree with you on start, caps are too low, but we gotta wait for the new pricing model on aggregate, teksavvy web states no cable internet for me, gotta wait for them to start their aggragate system

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to vincom

Premium Member

to vincom
The speeds in that offer are for Rogers cable speeds available through aggregated POI. Based on the limited information we have available here on the forums it looks like they are dis-aggregated. We know all of the TPIA have to switch but perhaps these folks already have and we just don't know it yet?
vincom
Bolton, ON

vincom

said by creed3020:

The speeds in that offer are for Rogers cable speeds available through aggregated POI. Based on the limited information we have available here on the forums it looks like they are dis-aggregated. We know all of the TPIA have to switch but perhaps these folks already have and we just don't know it yet?

the speeds posted on their home page for outside gta are aggregated , but when you click "order" it shows the old dis-aggregated pricing
etech
join:2011-02-14

1 edit

etech to vincom

to vincom
when I checked it says 18 in GTA tab on their page and on other tabs says 25/2 which goes to what I said earlier. In GTA as they told me they dont have 25 yet but outside they do and their form is not updated. There may be problems and will know. I have 30 days to cancel but in any case their customer service sucks.

I wanted to go with Teksavvy as they now have cable in my area but they refused to reduce activation fees to $30 like CIK is doing. Second option was START but too low bandwidth (GB).

I tried my best to go with Teksavvy (and would have stayed for years) but they are willing to lose customer for activation fees !!! oh well..

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to etech

Premium Member

to etech
said by etech:

yes saw that on start website. I can tell you they are losing customers just because they have lower data usage/bandwidth for the same price as other ISPs. Why 150GB instead of 300GB and lose customers ? I dont get that.

Most other Indie ISPs are losing money at the moment on certain plans, and/or cannot offer service to as many places as START does - look at Cogeco-Land - START's plans are STILL better deals than getting it from 'Da Man'.

START offers what they can honour, and honours what they offer.

When the CRTC finishes with the capacity tariffs for the new rates, START will adjust again for more generous caps, and TSI might bother with Cable AT ALL in certain areas.

moffa
join:2007-10-14
North York, ON

moffa to dantheman61

to dantheman61
Here is my speedtest:

On DSL 25/10.
vincom
Bolton, ON

vincom

said by moffa:

Here is my speedtest:

On DSL 25/10.

we're talking about cable for ciktel, my area, bolton ontario, the highest dsl we can get is 6meg, i see from your stats ur not getting ur full upload though

moffa
North York, ON

moffa

yes that's true. Speaking with tech support, my Signal-to-noise is too high. I've tried fixing some wiring but I think I'll have to run it straight from the demarc.
vincom
Bolton, ON

vincom

said by moffa:

yes that's true. Speaking with tech support, my Signal-to-noise is too high. I've tried fixing some wiring but I think I'll have to run it straight from the demarc.

well when i try to signup for the 15 dsl, i have to go through the whole order form including giving them my visa #, but my area doesnt get more than 6mb, goodluck w/me trying to get my money back since there is no confirmation on the order form that my address can get the higher dsl speeds

moffa
North York, ON

moffa

I just called them, it was far easier. The guy's English was a little hard to understand but he understood me fine.

I re-ran wiring from the demarc:

mugurd
join:2001-05-24
Ottawa, ON

mugurd to vincom

to vincom
Speaking of CiKTel...and slightly off-topic: does anyone have a guide to configure their DCW775 as bridge?

Would be much appreciated...I haven't received the modem yet to start hacking into it
ccc123
join:2013-05-01
Kanata, ON

ccc123 to vincom

to vincom
I used to have 10/25M from bell and paying $6x with caped on 125G. the speedtest.net shows very close to 8/20Mbps.
now I switched to CIkTel, cable 2/25M cable. speedtest shows 1.8/50M. it's fantastic. and it has no cap to watch IPTV or netflix.
paid a whole year 50x12 plus $60 install with free cable modem, free voip ata and iptv box.

The cable is from Rogers. it's so far so good.
Called CIK a few times and it's very easy to get a rep. their 2nd line tech support is also very good and fast response.

mugurd
join:2001-05-24
Ottawa, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet
·Fido
(Software) pfSense
Netgear RAX50
Netgear R7000

mugurd

Well, I used to get 15/3 out of my grossly overpriced 25/10 from Bhell...then they screwed up my bandwidth (long story) and I lost 100GB in "translation".
Anyhoo...moved to CiKtel and on 45/4...off peak hours I get that (ccc123, be aware of Speedboost when you think you get sustained 50Mbps),
A better test is the 200MB dowmload at testmy.net.

My beef with CikTel is their subpar peering...they are nowhere near any CDN (Content Distribution Network) so while surfing is OK, streaming from usual sources like Netflix, Hulu, even YouTube is pretty bad.
mugurd

mugurd

BTC Kevin
join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON

BTC Kevin

did your cable bandwidth drop at 10:30 as well Mugurd?

I'm only 0.99/1.98 20ms since 10:35pm. and all IPTV feeds are offline.

Fergless
Premium Member
join:2008-04-19
Toronto, ON

Fergless to dantheman61

Premium Member

to dantheman61

Cable over IP

quote:
"Teddy Boom"They appear to be a stand alone aggregated TPIA provider, however, since they offer cable over IP like zazeen, I have to wonder if they aren't associated with Acanac/CIA/Distributel/3web/Zazeen et. al.

No, not associated.

aqboy
@adelphia.net

aqboy to dantheman61

Anon

to dantheman61

Re: Is ciktel a good alternative to teksavvy?

My experience with CIK has been a bad one, I do not recommend it to anyone who wants to enjoy consistent and reliable service.

The technical support line is filled with lazy employees who will not go out of their way to fix your problem before "filing a ticket" or "asking someone to call you back". They function more like secretaries by simply leaving a message. Often times there is no call back and the "filed ticket" is never spoken of again.

We finally decided to cancel our service with them, they offered us a promotion of free home phone with their internet service. We reluctantly accepted.

After switching to their phone service we noticed a huge drop in the internet speed of 15mbps which we had already prepaid for a year. After numerous attempts of calling and failing to reach them, or competent technicians we were finally able to get our hands on a "Senior Technician". Finally after several checks on our ip, internet speed and other various network diagnosis. The technician finally figured out that we needed to now buy a DSL Dry loop from them for 90 dollars in order to maintain our 15mbps download speed which has now dropped to a whopping 3mbps. below is my speedtest:

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 30487917

She told us they aren't supposed to know that we switched our phone service with them so they were not responsible for our speed loss over the past week. (I have call logs on my phone of me trying to reach them every day).

This was the last straw. We decided to cancel the service, but unfortunately we are existing customers and thus needed to give a 30 days notice before we can cancel. Thus we are stuck with 3mbps for another month while paying for 15mbps.

This company lacks any sort of accountability and trust. Their customer service is lousy and their management of information is all over the place. My experience with this CIKTEL has been nothing but frustration. Yes, this post contains a lot of ranting, and it is in my earnest advice that I warn you all to steer clear of this company.

MJB33
join:2012-01-29

MJB33

atpia is shared with robbers internet... which is worse

dtpia - serves tek customers only - same as vmedia customers
atpia - rogers customers share with third party internet customers

problems

blame rogers

spock8
join:2012-07-08

spock8 to dantheman61

to dantheman61
I was thinking of trying their cable internet product here in nanaimo. So far TSI hasn't expanded their cable internet past vancouver. Not sure what the hold up is. If these guys can why wont they. I had a hard time understanding the person I spoke to at CIK about fees.

I also wanted to get some speedtests from other CIK cable users here in BC but havent seen any yet

BTC Kevin
join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON

BTC Kevin to dantheman61

to dantheman61
CIKTEL IPTV is VMEDIA.