uniqs
share rss forum feed

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to JimONeill

Re: [Rant] Well, I *tried* to become a Comcast customer....

reason - lazy techs and supervisors.
--
I'm better than you!

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19

4 edits

said by gar187er:

reason - lazy techs and supervisors.

Or customer is in denial.

When you have a tree issue it is remarkably obvious why, and I am almost certain every tech there brought it up whether the OP says so or not.

No tech should risk injury for what 20 bucks? ( don't know the going rate for drop lines these days )

Power utility workers make big bucks and have very good equipment for these situations (including tree trimming). Calling a tech lazy because he can't or won't do the same thing with just a ladder is kind of foul.

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE

i pretty much risk my life everyday. each tech has safety gear for a reason. i can call them lazy cause im the guy they call when a lazy tech doesnt want to throw a ladder, or run a drop across a street.
--
I'm better than you!

DataRiker
Premium

1 edit

said by gar187er:

i pretty much risk my life everyday.

Jokes on you then.

Risking your life for a tech job is just foolish. Bragging about it, doubly so.

Tsume
Premium
join:2004-02-23
Johnson City, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to DataRiker

I really want to see the tree that OP mentions. I have a tree and they just ran the cable through it without any problems, and it certainly did not cause any safety problems (they used a bucket truck). The power and phone cables go through the same tree too. It's hard for me to fathom a tree of such magnitude that it would be causing this big of a problem.
--
to whoever anonymously gave me premium membership... thanks!

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
reply to DataRiker

said by DataRiker:

said by gar187er:

i pretty much risk my life everyday.

Jokes on you then.

Risking your life for a tech job is just foolish. Bragging about it, doubly so.

i work on the side of highways, out in bad weather, out at night, etc...im not bragging, just saying, that throwing a ladder is not risking your life.
--
I'm better than you!

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to Wayne99021

Cox does They used the one on my house When I got cable and internet installed.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

All cable companies use them. You still need to get to the tap tho.

DataRiker
Premium
reply to Tsume

said by Tsume:

I really want to see the tree that OP mentions. I have a tree and they just ran the cable through it without any problems, and it certainly did not cause any safety problems (they used a bucket truck). The power and phone cables go through the same tree too. It's hard for me to fathom a tree of such magnitude that it would be causing this big of a problem.

Its not that hard to imagine. If the drop line has to bend up under or over a branch in the natural path of the drop we generally don't do it until that branch is removed.

It may or may not present a hazard when you install it, but it does pose a general hazard when it eventually snaps (when they are rubbing on a branch, especially a large one they all fail eventually, especially in windy areas like the midwest )

DataRiker
Premium
reply to gar187er

said by gar187er:

i work on the side of highways, out in bad weather, out at night, etc...im not bragging, just saying, that throwing a ladder is not risking your life.

All of which is routine tech work and not what we are talking about here. (hypothetically anyway )

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE

i thought we were duscussing why a tech refused to throw a ladder thinking it was life threatening and other guys complaining it was starting to get dark out. none of which are a reason to leave a customer without service. not as if a hurricane was going on blowing 50mph winds.

dismiss it all you want, but fact is the OP had lazy techs.
--
I'm better than you!

DataRiker
Premium

4 edits

said by gar187er:

dismiss it all you want, but fact is the OP had lazy techs.

I have a low threshold for iffy installs during the day, forget about trying them at night. You admit to not having a problem risking your life everyday. I absolutely positively have a problem with that. I can only imagine how that manifests itself during your installs.

In my area of installation, if the job can't pass a quality check we shouldn't be doing it. That includes drop wires hugging branches, which is what I assume would have to happen here.

Because quite frankly, somebody will have to come right back and fix it after it snaps. Makes zero sense.

beerbum
Premium
join:2000-05-06
Reading, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to rody_44

said by rody_44:

Well he mentioned service electric and is from the eastern pa area in the same post. Not a easy area at all. But than he mentioned contractor and i had visions of some of the contractor installs in that area. I will leave it at that and leave you with the visions of drops ran beyond belief and i dont mean well done work when i say that. With service electric as a contractor you could just connect the drop and wrap the tree three times and nothing would be said. They would just send there union guys out to fix it.

hahahaha you must be mistaking some of the in-house tech work for contractor. at the time I was at service electric there was only one contractor - me - and all I did were service calls and the occasional voip install. Now the guy I replaced, your description fit him exactly. Overhead drop install? connect to the tap, drop the line in the yard, leave it lay on the ground and run to the demarc. need to run an a/o along the house, more than two clips and you were wasting them.

Anyway, I eventually transfered out, I was getting too much shit from the in-house guys. I wasn't screwing things up to their satisfaction and somehow that made them look bad. *shrug*

I know how y'all like to put down contractors. While for the most part they do deserve the shit they get, every once and a while one will come around who has pride in their work, thus they take care to take their job serious and do everything right the first time.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

You must have worked for service electric cablevision. I have no clue how them guys do it as i am a contractor for service electric cable tv. Same family but thats about it. Still has to be a tough area tho as its just a little further down the blue mountains.

Bink63
Namedrop THIS
Premium
join:2002-10-06
Everywhere
reply to JimONeill

IMNSHO, the OP simply had lazy & clueless techs and supes.

The poor scared IR Contractor evidently didn't comprehend the words "mid-span aerial drop".

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA

1 recommendation

without pics everything is assumption.