spc
Search similar:

uniqs

me87
join:2002-12-08
Iapetus

me87

delete an extended partition

For some odd reason the c: drive is 40GB large and the Lenovo recovery partition is 120GB large.
Now windows is running out of space.

Can I delete the extended partition after I remove the logical drivings in it? Will that allow me to expand windows?

The two partitions and next to each other.

I am considering using diskpart to "delete partition"

sbconslt
join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

sbconslt

You sure you're not reading it wrong and it's not 120MB?

me87
Iapetus

me87

Good point. I will check but I am pretty sure. 120MB makes no sense for a backup partition.

sbconslt
Los Angeles, CA

sbconslt

It would be useful if you posted a screenshot of your diskmgmt.msc.

me87
Iapetus

me87

Its not my computer so I can't at this time. I use diskmgmt.msc extensively so I am fairly sure about what I am seeing. The green boundry around the Lenovo recovery partition is larger than the c: drive.
me87

me87

Will a delete operation in diskpart remove the extended partition? That is after I empty out the logical partitions inside it.

sbconslt
Los Angeles, CA

sbconslt to me87

to me87
Ok, well, the short answer to your original question is yes, you can delete logical partitions in an extended partition and then delete the extended partition. Of course you should be aware that all data on the partitions you delete will be irrecoverably lost (or, it would be especially a pain to recover) so obviously don't delete anything you need.

If you then wanted to expand the c: volume into the adjacent empty space you could do that using a tool like gparted:

»gparted.sourceforge.net/ ··· vecd.php

Gparted is very reliable but all the same it would be a good idea to back up any irreplaceable data before doing the resize.

me87
Iapetus

me87

I only have remote desktop access. I have several variants of gparted on usb but they are all live cd or iso.

I did download easeus free edition.

sbconslt
Los Angeles, CA

sbconslt

If you have remote desktop access you can screencap diskmgmt.msc.

There's no way you can resize the c: volume while booted into it as the system drive so forget about resizing without physical access.

me87
Iapetus

me87

I've resized c: many times. At least each time I shrink c: to create more partitions. Never had a problem other than the unmovable hibernate/pagefile files being exactly in the middle.

Can't put up a screenshot because I don't have access at the moment. Trust me its blue boxes with a green box in the middle.

sbconslt
Los Angeles, CA

sbconslt

Funny, it comes as a surprise to me that resizing a volume is possible to do safely when the system is running from that volume. The methods I was aware of were offline.
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp

Premium Member

said by sbconslt:

Funny, it comes as a surprise to me that resizing a volume is possible to do safely when the system is running from that volume.

Easus can re-size upon reboot. Works fine on drive C:

@ OP, When you expand drive C: with Easus leave enough blank space at the end to accomodate the files that are currently on the second partition, and then you can re-create the recovery partition.

me87
Iapetus

me87

Thanks for all the replies.

Can I use diskpart do delete a blank "extended partition"?
If not will Easeus Free be able to.

Resizing c: is not a problem as long as I can make room next to it.
me87

me87

Ok I tried it using remote desktop and it worked.
1. deleted logical drives inside extended partition
2. use diskpart to list all partitions and then delete the extended partition
a. list disk
b. select disk (n)
c. list partition
d. select partition (n) - n= the extended partition
e. delete partition
f. use diskmgmt.msc to expand your c: drive.

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel to me87

Premium Member

to me87
if you delete that recovery partition, windows wont boot.
It contains the boot files too.

me87
Iapetus

me87

This was a regular partition called "Lenovo" It is used to store backup files by the Lenovo backup software.