spc
uniqs

Jonhern3169
@verizon.net

Jonhern3169 to DocDrew

Anon

to DocDrew

Re: [HD] Is Verizon lying about HD?

They really don't need unlimited funds. Have not had an SD box for about four years, but i think they were able to show the hd feeds letter boxed, and if that is an issue I am sure it wont be hard to have the box pan scan to fit fully on an SDTV. And if not, there are a lot less SD boxes out there than the 6XXX boxes that cant do mpeg4, so just switch them out with hd boxes. Either way, they get rid of all the sd channels that have HD feeds, and you could save a lot of space. Plus you can move all the channels to their normal places, so you don't have the issue of people watching channel 10 instead of 510 when they have an hd tv. My mother and sisters always do that lol, having just one version of the channel will fix that issue.

I also remember reading on cnet that it would be smart for cable companies to actually switch to 1080p/24 as its less bandwidth than 1080i/60. for tvs that can't handle it the box can just convert it like it does now since it does not have pass through, it converst any 720p to 1080i or vice versa.

Webcobbler
@verizon.net

Webcobbler to jonhern

Anon

to jonhern
I do concur that FiOS could get rid of all SD channels that have a HD equivalent channel. A lot of space could be freed up by doing so. A lot of SD chsnnels are downsampled HD no adays anyway. I know Fox does it, as well as the Discovery Networks, for example.

There are no more SD boxes our there , respectively , so let's dump those that do have HD equivalent channels, and get this ball rolling.

Hell, in 2 years , the HEVC STBs will be in mass production to support UHD feeds, so FiOS needs to put the gas pedal to the floor NOW! The first UHD channels are supposed to be active at the latest, Q1 of 2016. According to sources in that field. I have several articles about it.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

3 edits

DocDrew to jonhern

Premium Member

to jonhern
Switching to all HDTV feed takes bandwidth that may not be available. Every 10 SD channels you remove only frees enough bandwidth for 2-3 HD channels. Beyond the bandwidth issues, contracts have to renegotiated and more money paid to content owners.

Switching to IPTV and/or mpeg4 may run into problems with FCC regulations concerning Cablecard devices. TWC, Cox, and Charter ran into such issues when they rolled out SDV, TV Everywhere, and/or mpeg4, some are still in court.

Really I think Verizon is sitting on their hands waiting for the industry as a whole to decide on expansion plans, be it IPTV (by way of TV Everywhere), mpeg4, or something else. Broadcasters are dragging their feet on allowing their channels to be distributed on IPTV. FCC and the CEA is uncommitted on the CableCARD replacements.

[edit] For those saying move to 1080p/24, most boxes including HD boxes can't handle that format. Most boxes not made in the last 2 years wouldn't work. Plus, SD boxes can't even handle any HD video. Besides, most broadcasters aren't distributing in that format so Verizon would have to muck with the video stream even more.
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601 to Jonhern3169

to Jonhern3169
said by Jonhern3169 :

They really don't need unlimited funds. Have not had an SD box for about four years, but i think they were able to show the hd feeds letter boxed....

No, the SD boxes will not show HD channels. HD boxes will show the HD channels letterboxed on SD television sets though.
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs to jasontaylor

to jasontaylor
said by jasontaylor:

said by JackBauer:

VZ was very brave ... The current packages are a good mix of price and performance.

Really? Fios don't even say how many hd channels they offer anymore. Comcast has 110. I counted.

For my package, FiOS has 127. I counted. Do I watch them all? No.
46436203 (banned)
join:2013-01-03

46436203 (banned) to jonhern

to jonhern
said by jonhern:

I also remember reading on cnet that it would be smart for cable companies to actually switch to 1080p/24 as its less bandwidth than 1080i/60. for tvs that can't handle it the box can just convert it like it does now since it does not have pass through, it converst any 720p to 1080i or vice versa.

How exactly would that be "smart" since most television content is 1080i60?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to Webcobbler

Premium Member

to Webcobbler
said by Webcobbler :

Hell, in 2 years , the HEVC STBs will be in mass production to support UHD feeds, so FiOS needs to put the gas pedal to the floor NOW! The first UHD channels are supposed to be active at the latest, Q1 of 2016. According to sources in that field. I have several articles about it.

Really, you expect UHD to take off anytime soon? 3D capable boxes have been issued for at least 2 years, there are even a few full time 3D channels, and look how popular that has been...

UHD by way of HEVC needs a entire upgrade in end-to-end infrastructure, not to mention the boxes and TVs in peoples homes.

Standard linear video distribution techniques like FIOS and most cable companies use won't be able to cope with any sizable number of UHD channels.
manshow
join:2013-01-23
Washington, DC

manshow to jasontaylor

to jasontaylor
the number of HD channels fios offers varies by market due to number of local channels. i dun think fios is hiding the number they offer but what is stopping you from counting like u did for comcast? u can scroll thru yer guide or just go to their website/
said by jasontaylor:

Really? Fios don't even say how many hd channels they offer anymore. Comcast has 110. I counted.
Jason

46436203 (banned)

46436203 (banned) to DocDrew

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

said by Webcobbler :

Really, you expect UHD to take off anytime soon? 3D capable boxes have been issued for at least 2 years, there are even a few full time 3D channels, and look how popular that has been...

Why not? The Internet will lead the way in UHD video sooner than you think, as it allows anyone to bypass the bureaucracy and use any standards/equipment they want to.

Consumer UHD digital cameras are now available relatively cheap and PCs have been able to playback 4K video with ease for years.

The cable industry is going to have to do something to compete with UHD Internet video eventually. It's going to be mighty embarrassing if they can't even keep up with YouTube.

surfturf
@verizon.net

surfturf

Anon

said by 46436203:

said by DocDrew:

said by Webcobbler :

Why not? The Internet will lead the way in UHD video sooner than you think, as it allows anyone to bypass the bureaucracy and use any standards/equipment they want to.

Consumer UHD digital cameras are now available relatively cheap and PCs have been able to playback 4K video with ease for years.

The cable industry is going to have to do something to compete with UHD Internet video eventually. It's going to be mighty embarrassing if they can't even keep up with YouTube.

will it make u and the OP of this thread happy if oprah winfrey interviewing lance armstrong was in UHD?
46436203 (banned)

46436203 (banned)

Yes!

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew to 46436203

Premium Member

to 46436203
said by 46436203:

If the cable broadcasters (Viacom, Disney, Comcast, etc.) allow their catalog of video streams and content in UHD over the internet, free or low cost, without requiring a cable or other subscription then the cable companies will have to worry and do something.

Right now that's not the case. UHD is limited to independent and niche sources. The majority of cable broadcasters are also currently requiring cable subscriptions or contracts with big IPTV companies (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) to receive any of their content most of the time.

A way around cable company distribution is going to still have to bring the broadcasters at least the same amount of money per subscriber as they get through cable distribution. They won't settle for less, not for long.

Like the whole SD OWN thing it really comes down to money for the broadcaster. What are they charging and is it worth it for the content they have?
Expand your moderator at work