Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

[Mods] Galaxy S 2 4G with Boost

Seems every phone is a bit different.

Well, sadly, had to kind of upgrade unplanned... and while I miss the keyboard on my old Transform Ultra, the only phone that didn't have me typo'ing like crazy and respected my desire to turn off AutoCorrect completely was the Galaxy S2.

Anyways, in order to install AdFree Android, I pretty much have to have the phone rooted. And that's really all I'd need. I can worry about custom roms or the like later (apparently there's quite a few for this phone...?). As it is now, I just want to be able to get successfully rooted and go from there.

So, here's the skinny from within the phone.

Thank god screenshotting doesn't require Root on Android 4...

I've been searching on google, but much of those promised solutions seem to just want to lead to a link-circle or want you to fill out a survey or something, which seems HIGHLY suspect, if you get my meaning.

I know not every phone is going to be the same in this process, but the simpler I can get it done, the better.

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane and CJ
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO

GadgetsRme

Premium Member

Check here:
»www.galaxyforums.net/

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

I had no idea how many specific permutations of the Galaxy S 2 there were until I started searching. Even between specific providers and MVNO's, there are subtle differences... Sadly, the only thing I could find on there specific to Boost Mobile's flavor of Galaxy S II is this thread, unanswered (as of this writing).

Interesting place, but nothing as of yet for this-a one.

halfempty
join:2001-04-28
Miami, FL

halfempty

When I was on Boost the only place that had a lot of specific info for Boost phones was Android Forums. They have a forum for the Boost SGSII, and an All Things Root sub-forum.

There is a specific thread on rooting that phone, but is starts with the previous firmware. Read the whole thread, they start talking about the version you're on about halfway through. Good Luck!

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Thanks for the linkage there. Upon registering and adding to the thread, someone mentioned about a recent exploit that concerned the chips these are based on.

Finally found a link to it on xda-developers, and just had to enable to install non-market apps in order to get it to install. One click, and done.

Awesome!

halfempty
join:2001-04-28
Miami, FL

halfempty

Glad you found an easy one for your device. Like you I always root my phones for AdFree, and I use Titanium BackUp to get rid of the bloatware.