spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

othehorror

@embarqhsd.net

Faulty Centurylink router

The Line Quality tool shows that this hop 206-51-88-117.centurylink.net is faulty. 79% packet loss. Will Centurylink fix their network? Can I report them to the FCC? Will calling them help? Doubtful.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

Please post the link to that LQT.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
reply to othehorror

Do you see packet loss at the destination?

Without the actual LQT results, your verbal description conveys no useful information.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

othehorror

@embarqhsd.net
reply to othehorror

I didn't save link to previous test but just performed a new one. Here is the link.

»/pingtest/2c34···37?r=485

»www.whatsmyip.org/ip-geo-location/ shows the location of router being in New Florence, MO. But I also get packet loss to Washington, DC and I doubt I route through there. Oh well. It's packet loss everywhere but to West Coast.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

"Target IP Address" only shows 2% packet loss from Central U.S., which seems to be normal for a functional connection:

»/pingtest/c653···/2982891

The "loss" at the indicated hop does not appear to be carried through to the end, so it isn't really a loss.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to othehorror

When looking at a tracert/LQT, all you care about is the final destination ping & packet loss.

What your are seeing is phantom packet loss; it is not really there. That router has better things to do besides respond to ICMP (pings). The router is ignoring them or just not responding to them.

If you look above that router, all the hops with a 100% loss are doing the same thing.

You will see this same thing with many of the routers on the Internet.

Whatever issues you might be experiencing is not due to this router.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

othehorror

@embarqhsd.net
reply to othehorror

I receive anywhere from 1-5% packet loss while gaming to any central or east coast server. I'm going to call Centurylink and ask them to upgrade my packets.

CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID
kudos:7
reply to othehorror

Hey OtherHorror -

My name is Rich and I am part of the Centurylink Social Media Team with our Executive Office. If you will send me your account and contact information I can further assist in escalating your concerns.

»bit.ly/TALKTOUS or TalkToUs@Centurylink.com

Thanks,
Rich
Centurylink Help Team