uniqs
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra to norwegian

Premium Member

to norwegian

Re: System Event Error NTFS Id 134 - bad hard drive?

I'm quite confused about restoring the full image I just made. With this version of Macrium I'm suppose to use a Linux disk to restore and I have to restore one partition at a time and go back to restore more. What I'm confused about is if I have to designate sizes for the partitions - I can't do that, although I wrote down the info on capacity, space used and free space that appeared during the image.
Maybe I'll ask in the software forum. I'll ask the tech when he comes too.

They are going to take my old hard drive - I said okay, but now I'm thinking that personal information is on that disk. I noticed there is an erase on the HDTunePro. Do you think I should use it? I imagine its straight forward to do? Maybe they respect your privacy and erase the disk themselves.

Thank you again.

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

I was giving that some thought earlier, delete all personal stuff off the HDD, if you can get the time a wipe would help. But 500GB expect a fair length of time.

Have a chat to the tech on the image, but once you get running again just use Windows 7 own tool, it will create the image set and a recovery disk, no more required after these disks are created to restore to the image. You can do this once a week, once a month etc, no third party tool is required for images.

»www.howtogeek.com/howto/ ··· ndows-7/
»www.techrepublic.com/blo ··· isk/4644

Note: I would think the recovery disk or even the Windows 7 O/S disk could work with the image of Macrium to restore from, I don't think Linux is specifically required.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

How would I delete things like my daughter has some charge card accounts online? And if we make a purchase you have to use a credit card - so it's there somewhere. And Facebook.

Thank you for the links.

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

1 edit

norwegian

Premium Member

Use a tool like CCleaner on all accounts and select all options. Also goto Options-Settings-"secure deletion" to wipe this info.

Data like charge accts info might not be saved any way - the option is there in IE to not save SSL data to the HDD.
Internet Options-Advanced-move the slider to the bottom, is this checked or unchecked?
"Do not Save Encrypted Pages To Disk"
If checked the credit card details in transactions will not be on the HDD unless there is PDF, Personal Letters etc.

CCleaner can delete all temp data, and online transactions data is saved in the temporary Internet Files folder. CCleaner takes care of this folder and more. Also adding in the extras vis the winapp2.in found here will delete a lot more info. Also delete all photos, pdfs and other personal items too if they are al backed up.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you. I forgot about CCleaner. I just downloaded it and will install in the laptop. I'll copy your instructions. I appreciate the help.

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

If you are not going to wipe the drive, also look at a defrag once cleaned to over write sectors of deleted files. Wipe is best though.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Click for full size
shows a backup was created
Click for full size
Elements F Drive (external hard drive) shows an empty folder?
Hi Norwegian,

I spoke with the tech this morning and he's coming Friday morning. I mentioned I received the disks from Lenovo and mentioned possibly making an image. He said he'd start the recovery and leave me to finish it. I'm going to try to have him complete it- if there's a problem I wouldn't know what to do.

I was reading about Windows system image (which says it can be put to another hard drive) so I made one. I chose System, C drive and I selected D drive (I don't know what's on it, but I figure it's important). I have two screenshots - Elements F is my external hard drive and a copy of create a system image which shows an image was created at 5:45pm. Do you have any idea why the E drive would show an empty folder?

Do you have any idea what would happen if I use HDPro to wipe the drive? The computer would have to be on in order for me to use it, what would happen when it's done and how would I shut down the computer if the drive is wiped? This is a 500 GB drive, do you have any idea how long it would take?

Otherwise I'll do the defrag. I used CCleaner already.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra
Libra

2 edits

Libra

Premium Member

I'm happy to say I was finally able to remove the external harddrive by rebooting the computer.
It previously told me it successfully completed the system image. I clicked on create system image a couple of times to access the screen I put above showing an image was previously created, and also backup system files but didn't tell it to continue to create either one.

The message I got re safely removing hardware was:

"Windows can't stop your 'Generic Volume' device because a program is still using it. Close any programs that might be using this device and then try again later."

Safely Elect Hardware showed: Eject Ext HDD 1021 (when I click on this I get the above message). Under Ext HDD 1021 show my -Elements (F:) greyed and I can't select it.

I put this eject problem into the Microsoft Forum also.

Do you think the system image I created via Windows is good in view of this? I also find it odd that it shows an empty folder.

Again, I was finally able to remove the external drive.

I apologize for all of this.

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian to Libra

Premium Member

to Libra
said by Libra:

I was reading about Windows system image (which says it can be put to another hard drive) so I made one. I chose System, C drive and I selected D drive (I don't know what's on it, but I figure it's important). I have two screenshots - Elements F is my external hard drive and a copy of create a system image which shows an image was created at 5:45pm. Do you have any idea why the E drive would show an empty folder?

Hello Libra,

1. E: is your DVD drive, all good, without a CD/DVD it will show as empty
2. C:, D: are more than likely, C: - system drive, D: restore partition or something similar. However creating an image of a HDD and partitions with NTFS errors will not be good, everything will travel to the new HDD, errors, IE, missing files, corrupted files etc.
It may be a good leason for you for future jobs but you have to start some where. An image via the process you are doing of the new system is a better option.
said by Libra:

Do you have any idea what would happen if I use HDPro to wipe the drive? The computer would have to be on in order for me to use it, what would happen when it's done and how would I shut down the computer if the drive is wiped? This is a 500 GB drive, do you have any idea how long it would take?

24 to 30 hrs is my guess for a full wipe.
norwegian

norwegian to Libra

Premium Member

to Libra
said by Libra:

I'm happy to say I was finally able to remove the external harddrive by rebooting the computer.
It previously told me it successfully completed the system image. I clicked on create system image a couple of times to access the screen I put above showing an image was previously created, and also backup system files but didn't tell it to continue to create either one.

The message I got re safely removing hardware was:

"Windows can't stop your 'Generic Volume' device because a program is still using it. Close any programs that might be using this device and then try again later."

Safely Elect Hardware showed: Eject Ext HDD 1021 (when I click on this I get the above message). Under Ext HDD 1021 show my -Elements (F:) greyed and I can't select it.

I put this eject problem into the Microsoft Forum also.

Do you think the system image I created via Windows is good in view of this? I also find it odd that it shows an empty folder.

Again, I was finally able to remove the external drive.

I apologize for all of this.

Sincerely, Libra

With an image back up it should be 20 to 30 GB in size.
With the back up drive, if you have a computer manageent window, My Computer window open it will be in use due to the window being open related to the compuer management or My Computer window. Also Anti Virus' can do the same thing.

What you may find too is the HDD for backup has Windows files, IE System Volume Information, Recycle Bin folders etc which can create this notification too. As someone pointed out, the image back up HDD is better off in Computer management, removing the drive letter. This is better off as a new topic to keep it all clear.

Initially the easiest way for your first image is to just create a disk set (4 DVD's and a Restore DVD) - 5 in total. Once you understand more, goto the seperate HDD for backup but you may need 1 x specific eternal HDD to play with.

Hope this all helps a little.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Hi Norwegian,

I'm getting the impression the System Image I made in Windows and put to my external hard drive may not be good because of the NTFS errors, etc.

If you look at the screenshot I made above of the External Hard Drive (F) you will see it shows "Windows Image Backup" empty folder. It was explained to me it shows that because the backup put it into a VHD file. Since this image probably isn't good, can I delete the Windows Image Backup file from my hard drive?

The reason I made it was I replaced some drivers that were causing problems on the laptop, so aside from the bad hard drive, it's running well.

I made copies of those driver installation files.

I will let the tech put the Lenovo installation files on the computer. I'll ask if he can not install some programs I don't want.

After it's all done, in view of what you are advising in making disks, can I put the computer to how I want it....install all windows updates, put my antivirus on and other programs and install drivers if I see in device manager that the files I copied are newer, and then make those disks? I already have a system repair disk, is it necessary to make another one?

Thanks for all your advice.

I'm going to make sure the disk I made to store pictures, etc has everything, then I'll start deleting and do that defrag.

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

said by Libra:

I'm getting the impression the System Image I made in Windows and put to my external hard drive may not be good because of the NTFS errors, etc.

If you look at the screenshot I made above of the External Hard Drive (F) you will see it shows "Windows Image Backup" empty folder. It was explained to me it shows that because the backup put it into a VHD file. Since this image probably isn't good, can I delete the Windows Image Backup file from my hard drive?

The folder can be relabelled for now and kept if there is files within, but your screen shot shows you have "unhide hidden and system files" because you show an autorun folder and an autorun.inf file, both not normally seen, the VDH file is the same.

Corruption as I've said will be copied into your image back up and may see these errors return if using the image to restore.
said by Libra:

After it's all done, in view of what you are advising in making disks, can I put the computer to how I want it....install all windows updates, put my antivirus on and other programs and install drivers if I see in device manager that the files I copied are newer, and then make those disks? I already have a system repair disk, is it necessary to make another one?

I'd start fresh with a fresh install - drivers are best installed without the anti virus installed - or turned on to allow correct integration of software/drivers etc.

Then once the system, Windows, drivers, anti virus and third party programs are all installed, create the back up. Some suggest turning of system retore as well for this function, but I've not seen issues with Windows backup yet; but a fresh set of disks is best with a fresh recovery disk to avoid any corruption, you want it fresh and clean.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you Norwegian. As you are advising, I will have the tech use the Lenovo recovery disks. I had no idea I should turn off my antivirus when installing drivers. I appreciate the tip and will do that, although I always scan anything I download prior to using.

I'll take my time setting everything up and then make those disks through Windows.

I'm hoping I can connect my external hard drive to my Vista computer and just delete the "Windows Image Backup" folder without any problems and also without having a problem safely removing hardware. I found reference to that in the Event Viewer>System. I wrote it down (it's downstairs) but the source was kernel and I think it said something about id 4. I'll put here tomorrow.

On all of my computers I make a folder on the root of C called "Utilities" and put various installation files into it. I put it at C so that any user can access it (I usually download things in a Standard User account and install in Admin account). Would I be better off putting the "Utilities" folder in a Public Users Document file? I also make a folder at the root of C called "security" where I might put a MS fixit or update. I'm mentioning this because I think the Windows backup only backs up things in the library folders they create. If I made those folders in the Admin account's documents folder I wouldn't be able to access it with a Standard user account.

Thank you again for all of your help. Hopefully everything will go smoothly. I'll let you know.

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

An image back up is everything, not select folders if you use the image back up. The standard back up, IE XP days only does folders. This will give you a little more to read up on and understand what an image and what you do.
»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· em-image
»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· nd-files
»www.sevenforums.com/tuto ··· kup.html

I quite often put certain items in the C: folder, tools, utilities, so there is no reason not to put a folder for backups of the driver installers either. Or in the admin acct in My Docs.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Hi norwegian,

Thanks for confirming it's okay to put folders in the root of C. I appreciate the links, I'll go over them in a little while.

You really won't believe what happened with the hard drive. This could only happen to me.

The tech changed the hard drive and informed me he would start the recovery and I'd finish it. Well, when he put the first disk in it showed reading Windows files, then it showed an error - Windows detected a problem with hardware. He ran some tests and called Lenovo. He had me call Lenovo to walk me through the installation.

We kept getting the error message and when we got to the Windows Boot Manager it did not show Windows 7 64 bit to install. I renewed my tech support for another 2 years and the tech is having my motherboard and optical drive replaced and he's sending me out new disks. He said normally installing everything should go smoothly and I just follow the instructions. So now I have to wait for another tech to come next week and replace these items. It's frustrating but my hope is the computer will be in good condition when this is all done.

I have seen errors regarding Disk 1 (which I think is the optical drive) but never thought much about it.
~~~~~~~
BTW, I attached my external harddrive to my Vista computer and was able to delete that Windows Image Backup folder without a problem. I was able to safely remove hardware, too.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Sounds like you are on the road to fixing it and learning a little along the way.

Has to be a good thing.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

I hope so

I've been looking at those links. As usual, I am confused. In this link »windows.microsoft.com/en ··· nd-files

the second paragraph says a System Image must be saved on a hard drive. But viewing other paragraphs it states the system image can be burned on dvds, etc. So can I burn a system image selecting the Active partition, C drive and D drive and put it to dvds?

I also noticed in Seven Forums you can make the Windows Repair disk bootable by downloading one or two things. I had no idea about this and I think it would be a good idea when I make my disks.

In the Seven Forums tutorials I happened to come across "convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk". I think it stated you might have to do this or the image won't work. I hope I don't have to do this.

I appreciate your helping me with all of this. Now I'll be waiting for a new motherboard and optical drive. He said the tech may call me Tuesday to schedule it. I'm amazed at all of this!

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

For an image, it does not need a HDD, DVD's are fine. You do not need to select what partitions, it is a copy of the HDD itself. Once you understand the image is of the HDD you will understand more. The first link's first paragraph explains it.

A system image is an exact copy of a drive. By default, a system image includes the drives required for Windows to run. It also includes Windows and your system settings, programs, and files. You can use a system image to restore the contents of your computer if your hard disk or computer ever stops working. When you restore your computer from a system image, it's a complete restoration—you can't choose individual items to restore, and all of your current programs, system settings, and files are replaced with the contents of the system image.

All your data, O/S, pictures, restore partitions, data partitions etc are all included.

The disks, DVD's created are fine, there is no need for special rules for BOOT for the DVD's. The recovery DVD's and also the RECOVERY CD are already set to go. Generally you boot from the RECOVERY DVD, but you can also boot from a WINDOWS DVD or even the BACKUP DVD image set them selves.

For basic disk/dynamic disk, this is probably left for the topic on utilizing a specific HDD only for back up images. You may or may not want to go as far as that, but if you do enough work whereby back ups are required monthly then you may need to dig more. Generally though, if you keep all you personal data on external HDD's, then the image set on DVD will give you a full copy of the O/S and all your data from the time of the image back up. You will just need to run Windows update, 3rd party software updates and reload from the back up drive the data you want again.
norwegian

norwegian to Libra

Premium Member

to Libra

For the record any computer company that sends a set of DVD's with the O/S etc is also an image. These things most people do not look at if the technician loads it. But the DVD set is no different than the set created by Windows Backup in Windows 7 - I love the feature that was not in XP.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you for clarifying all of that. But what I saw in making my Windows System Image it only checked the Active Partition and C drive - it showed D, but it wasn't checked. I put a check in it - I think it's Lenovo's restore (not sure). I know I'm not anywhere near making one yet on disks, but isn't it necessary that I check D?

I won't bother with that bootable stuff for the DVD then. It also seems the dynamic disk doesn't apply to me. I appreciate your explaining all of this to me. I guess I'll starting putting personal files on my external hard drive.

The disks I got from Lenovo are four. Since they are an image, that explains why when I ask if we can remove or not install certain programs, I get told to install everything. I find it interesting that Windows found a problem and wouldn't install Windows.

I plan to set up Windows (admin account, maybe standard users at that time) and set Windows Update to download but let me decide for important updates and make sure the Windows Firewall is on. If Mcafee pops up I'll use add remove to remove it and I put the Mcafee removal tool on a disk, so I will use that. I will skip setting up the internet and install SpywareBlaster, Avast (after removing McAfee) MalwareBytes, SuperAntispyware, HostsExpert. I know none of these will update until after the internet is connected, but they will be in place.

I guess I might wait to install PaleMoon after I connect to the Internet. When I do connect to the internet I will do Updates first.

At some point I will look at the device manager and see the version number of some of those drivers. In the past I had to update some of those drivers because I was getting error messages.

Does this sound good?

I want you to know I appreciate your help and patience very much.

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

said by Libra:

Thank you for clarifying all of that. But what I saw in making my Windows System Image it only checked the Active Partition and C drive - it showed D, but it wasn't checked. I put a check in it - I think it's Lenovo's restore (not sure). I know I'm not anywhere near making one yet on disks, but isn't it necessary that I check D?

The initial back up, select everything for the image. You can once things settle only image the C: partition if you want, but if a virus or corruption gets into the boot sector or the partition tables get messed up, to copy everything back, you will need the initial image. Which is why I just select all partitions on the HDD, the only reason not to would be if you are short on space to back up to. For an extra 10 minutes of back up time, and a little more space used it will give you peace of mind. It's a choice though for you to make. If the back up image didn't select all with no options, someone out there would complain, so by default the settings only look after the Windows/system partition.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

I will select everything. I appreciate your help. Now I just need the laptop working. We miss it.

Sincerely, Libra
Libra

Libra to norwegian

Premium Member

to norwegian
Hi norwegian!

I wanted to let you know that when the second tech came he was able to load the new set of disks without a problem, so he didn't have to install a new motherboard. Since I have seen error messages about Disk 1 I asked him to replace the optical drive and he did. The new hard drive is described as WDC! I worked on the computer that day, then took a 2 day break and finished everything. I used the Windows Backup to make a full image and a rescue disk. (I'm going to check and see if Vista can do this.)

Again, I want to thank you for all of your help.

Sincerely, Libra

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Fingers crossed it is happy sailing for now then.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you.