Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DarkSithPro

join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ
kudos:2

The dummies guide to a new OS

I have a hunch that the new Windows 8 is harder to use than a popular Linux distro. What would be the outcome if you took a handful of average people, computer illiterate people and sat them down in front of a fresh install of Windows 8, Ubuntu, and or Mint. Which OS would the user have greater success and less frustration on? And wouldn't it be hilarious if it was posted on Youtube?

GILXA1226
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-29
Dayton, OH

said by DarkSithPro:

I have a hunch that the new Windows 8 is harder to use than a popular Linux distro.

Depends... some of the new design changes in Gnome3 make it similar to windows 8 in how you go about launching apps. For people missing the start menu something like KDE would/could fill the void, however then people need to ask themselves do I learn a new way to launch apps, or learn a new OS? With things like classic shell and other start menu replacements, the only people I see potentially dropping MS for Linux are those of us who already are running linux in some capacity.
--
We don't give a d@mn for the whole state of Michigan... we're from OHIO! O!H! ... I!O!

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to DarkSithPro

Off the bat, I'd want to say any form of Windows; however, from a familiarity (using W7 and below stand-point) - Mint Cinnamon is probably the easiest and most familiar DE. They would understand the GUI of Mint much easier than W8.
Don't get me wrong - and I wish I were - the W8 interface is actually fairly good and fresh. It'll drive the W95 lovin' folks bonkers, but once they get the hang of it... very nice.
--
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to DarkSithPro

My wife is the least tech person I know. I'm willing to bet I'd have her up and running on Ubuntu in less then an hour.
All she does is browse the web, scan family pictures/edits them, and watch Netflix [Netflix needs to port to linux].
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Considering that Netflix has an Android app, shouldnt be trivial for them to make a linux program? As Android is a fork of linux so the underlying systems must be effectively the same.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

You would think that, but I think Netflix uses Microsoft's silverlight.

Just found this:
»how-to.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_wat···in_Linux

IMO, a lot of hoops to hp through to even attempt to get Netflix to run.

I guess the establishment is afraid that people will "steal" the streams if it isn't drm protected.

*edit: As I have a PS3, a Roku, and two tablet devices, plus a wii. They all can stream Netflix for a lot less effort then what it would take me to even try to get my ubuntu box to stream netflix, if it could.

--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

DRM is the general reasoning for lack of linux support. Though I doubt it is silverlight in the app on the non windows platforms. However the app is a contained environment. DRM is sadly seen as a silver bullet by the content creators, When all DRM does is make life harder on those trying to get the content legally.

However to be fair its not like someone could not just go HDMI from PS3 to HD capture card on a computer and capture the streams.

MS is also discontinuing Silverlight. So Netflix will either have to go app on all platforms or go HTML5
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Kearnstd:

MS is also discontinuing Silverlight. So Netflix will either have to go app on all platforms or go HTML5

I was under the impression that HTML5 was very DRM friendly...

The general impression I get from Linux-o-phobes the last time I had a conversation about this; is that the it would be fairly easy for someone to isolate the Netflix process in Linux and use the rest of the OS to decode and rip the stream.

I'm not exactly sure what said Linux-O-phobe thought this couldn't be done on Windows, or from an actual hardware source, but that was the line of thinking anyway.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
reply to Snakeoil

said by »www.iheartubuntu.com/2012/11/ppa···app.html :

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop

It's a hack, but it is better than nothing. Biggest complaint is that it doesn't prevent screen dimming.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad