Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to Maven

Premium Member

to Maven

Re: Need help building a desktop gaming computer

said by Maven:

In the pic one, you'll notice a couple of cables are resting on the power supply. Is this OK?

It's fine. It's more of a matter of aesthetics than anything.
said by Maven:

In the other pics, I couldn't figure out the HDD racks. I ended up screwing 4 screws at the bottom, but the HDD isn't completely secure. It doesn't move when its in the black rack, though... Just wondering if I did it properly.

Are the hard drive screws going through the little black grommets? If so, you should be good to go. It's normal to have a little bit of movement with them, the grommets help with minimizing vibrations.

Maven
Premium Member
join:2002-03-12
Canada

Maven

Premium Member

Got it, the HDD is secured. Thanks all.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Make sure you do your cable management first. There's a high mental barrier against completely tearing apart a functional computer to change the wiring. Zip-ties are your friend!

Maven
Premium Member
join:2002-03-12
Canada

Maven

Premium Member

Why is cable management important? My computer runs pretty cool. Is it just for aesthetics?
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

Depending on the situation, it can be for both reasons.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Maven

Premium Member

to Maven
said by Maven:

Why is cable management important? My computer runs pretty cool. Is it just for aesthetics?

Take it from the King of cable-mismanagement, you want to have properly organized cables to you can see where and how everything is connected, and you don't want your cables to obstruct moving parts like fan blades.

There's nothing more annoying than realizing you forgot to connect your front panel headphone jack, opening up your case to connect them, and having to shove aside a bunch cables while holding a flashlight in your mouth shoving the cables aside with one hand and snaking your tiny fp connector onto the header with sweaty trembling fingers.

Bonus points if you've had over six cups of coffee that day or a couple of beers before you start hooking this up.