JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

USG50 CPU @ 100% for unknown reason

Click for full size
zywall cpu graph
What might drive a USG50's CPU utilization to near 100% ?
The USG50 is normally very lightly loaded. Just some load balancing between Uverse and Comcast. It's been months since it's been rebooted. Rebooting took care of the problem but I'd be interesting in any ideas as to what would cause this.
Otherwise it seemed to be operating normally.
I probably should have checked the log before rebooting but didn't. Duhhhhhh.
Tnx,
J

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:10

I've seen similar behaviour when some daemon died on the machine. It's good to check the logs then and mainly console output.

polarisdb

join:2004-07-12
USA
reply to JimThePCGuy

Weird, I'm using my USG50 in what sounds like a similar environment and I haven't seen that. In fact, my CPU utilization is typically well below 50%.

Kirby Smith

join:2001-01-26
Derry, NH
reply to JimThePCGuy

In addition to daemon mortality, the CPU might saturate if the state table (active sessions table) saturates, although one wouldn't expect the lead up to be so abrupt as in the graph. Did you turn on a bunch of BitTorrents?

kirby

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

No Torrents ever. Actually we were all asleep. Just a wifi connected printer, some nas storage devices and a Mac mini running boinc.

Kirby Smith

join:2001-01-26
Derry, NH
reply to JimThePCGuy

Then I guess the daemons did it.

JPedroT

join:2005-02-18
kudos:1
reply to JimThePCGuy

An external attack on the USG, that made the CPU work overtime? It would have been seen in the logs.

But you should setup the device to log to an external server, its so much better.
--
"Perl is executable line noise, Python is executable pseudo-code."