spc
Search similar:

uniqs

KeysCapt

join:2001-07-11
Carson City, NV

KeysCapt

search certified toolbar

I don't find any mention of this on the site, but Google has a ton of topics on it and it seems to be fairly prevalent. I got hit with this in some download or other, and it is very difficult to remove. (I was looking for a web page macro program and tried a few different ones. I believe it was attached to one of those.)

It self-installs to every browser on your system and hijacks whatever you have set for your home page. On my system it infected FireFox, IE, Chrome, Iron and even the WinAmp browser. Interestingly it did not affect Safari.

Per numerous recommendations I tried Malwarebytes, Spy Hunter and several other cleaners with no success. It didn't show up in Add/Remove Programs as several web topics said it would, and it didn't show up in browser add-ons either. I tried everything I could find for two days without success. The only way I could get rid of it was via system restore.

Thought I'd mention it here in case anyone else encounters it.
(search.certified-toolbar.com)

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay

MVM

I presume that none of the suggested ways worked for you?

follow these steps:
1. Uninstall Certified Toolbar from your computer: For that, click 'Start menu' -> 'Control Panel' -> 'Uninstall a Program' or 'Add/Remove Programs' and choose 'Uninstall' button if you see the certified toolbar in the list.
2. Remove Search.certified-toolbar.com from your browsers:
Internet Explorer:
Open IE -> Tools -> Internet Option -> General tab.Enter Google or other address to make it the default start page.
Mozilla Firefox:
Open Mozilla Firefox, go to Tools -> Options -> General -> Startup. Now select 'Show a blank page' when Firefox Starts or set a certain website, like Google or similar.
Google Chrome:
Open Google Chrome, click on wench icon, go to settings and choose 'Manage search engines'. Change search engine to google or other and delete Certified toolbar from the list. Then Go to section On start and make sure you get blank page while creating new tab.
Additionally, we recommend running a full system scan with reputable anti-spyware if you haven't installed Certified Toolbar by yourself.

KeysCapt

Carson City, NV

KeysCapt

You presume correctly.

All of those steps were unsuccessful. I get the impression that maybe this thing has been altered since those steps were posted since it never showed up either in any browser add-on area or in the Windows remove program dialogue.
Jrb2
Premium Member
join:2001-08-31

Jrb2 to KeysCapt

Premium Member

to KeysCapt
Hi KeysCapt,

Thanks.

May I ask whether you remember which other scanners (be it on-line or off-line; be it cloud-based or not) or any other tools you may have used? Any more info that you may have, could help others and also the AV/AT/AS companies when there is a new variant. The more info, the better

KeysCapt

Carson City, NV

KeysCapt

said by Jrb2:

May I ask whether you remember which other scanners (be it on-line or off-line; be it cloud-based or not) or any other tools you may have used? Any more info that you may have, could help others and also the AV/AT/AS companies when there is a new variant. The more info, the better

I tried Malwarebytes, both anti-malware and anti-rootkit versions (which were pre-installed and active), SpyBot, Spy Hunter and CCleaner. As I said earlier, there are numerous web references to manually removing this intruder on various browsers, but none of that now works because it doesn't show in add-ons for any browser I have installed, nor does it show as a removable item in Windows7. I found about 30+/- registry entries and removed all manually, but that didn't help. I was fortunate to have a recent (3 days) restore point and that resolved the problem.

Andy
@as13285.net

Andy

Anon

i have the same problem, cant get rid of it and tried the lot, even deleting files from the reg. manufacture reset i think.

KeysCapt

Carson City, NV

KeysCapt

System Restore

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

1 recommendation

MarkAW to KeysCapt

Premium Member

to KeysCapt
If you have a USB flash drive? Then give HitmanPro's Kickstart a try.
quote:
Now any computer user can easily remove ransomware from their PC.
Take back control, Kickstart your PC!
HitmanPro.Kickstart is the solution against police ransomware and other persistent malware that has taken your computer hostage or prevents normal computer use.

When your PC has been infected with ransomware you see a message, supposedly from the police, FBI or other authorities, demanding that a fine must be paid in order to unlock the computer. Payment is done via prepaid cards from Ukash, MoneyPak or Paysafecard.
»www.surfright.nl/en/hitm ··· ickstart

TheJoker
MVM
join:2001-04-26
Charlottesville, VA

TheJoker to KeysCapt

MVM

to KeysCapt
If you used System Restore to get rid of certified-toolbar, There may be a folder associated with it still there. I recommend you use AdwCleaner, which can remove the toolbar. See this post:
»Re: [Virus] Is the computer still infected?

KeysCapt

Carson City, NV

KeysCapt

Did that, have a log. Don't see any evidence of that toolbar, but there are mentions of others that I have removed in FF. Do you want the log? Want me to start a thread in Cleanup?

TheJoker
MVM
join:2001-04-26
Charlottesville, VA

TheJoker

MVM

That would be fine, but you will need to post the other logs as well, DDS, Security Check and MBAM.

KeysCapt

Carson City, NV

KeysCapt

Nah, don't think so. But thanks for your input. I do appreciate it.