how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kmehaffy

@mchsi.com

Buying a new cable modem - mediacoms went nuts

OK,

Our home network (gigabit wired) has been going crazy with the internet connection for a few days. Drops connection, repeats 4-5 times an hour, esp if more than 1 person is on. Tried switching the router, same result, only other piece of equip on it are Mediacoms Cable Modem, and Phone Modem (going bye-bye monday). I ran some tests at speednet .. here are the results:

1. Ping 42 dl 2.06 ul 1.16
2. Ping 43 dl 4.12 ul 1.12
3. Ping 41 dl 13.47 ul 0.59

Now this is on Mediacoms top of the line internet speed package, and unless I am missing something, theres alot of speed missing.

I have been out searching for a new cable modem today, and reading all the posts. Scary stuff, looks easy to waste money. Anywho, locally I can only get these 4 modems:

1. Zoom 5341 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
2. Motorola SBG6580 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0
3. Netgear Model CMD31T
4. Motorola SURFboard® SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

Thoughts?

joleme

join:2013-01-20
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 edit

I have a motorola SB6121 and was having a lot of the same issues as you, though I was at least getting 20mbps.

I found two issues...
1. The modem I had wasn't docsis 3, and it was dropping constantly because of this. Buying a new modem solved the dropping issue.
2. Even though I changed to the 50mbps service, their wonderful customer service never re-provisioned the modem for the correct speed even though I specifically called and asked 3 times. The fourth rep finally said "oh, your modem is still provisioned for 20, i can fix that"

Mediacom...... run by idiots with labor from what I suspect are down syndrome labor camps. *at least the ones in my area*

sway0004

join:2005-04-29
Oswego, IL
reply to kmehaffy

all those aren't good with mediacom the net gear has no good fireware and bonding issues on mediacom even if its comcast cert..

the surfboard 6121 doesnt have good bonding the previous version the sb6120 has firmware push from mediacom to fix bonding

the others i dont see them on the internet support so you may be good to go..

as for buying the modem i would buy anyone i see.. they let you use any docsis 3.0 but you wont know if it will bond till you hook it up... and do speed test for weeks ..

mediacom likes Cisco System and Cisco products and has a list on internet support forums
from »mediacomcable.com/CustomerSuppor···=11365.0
We support the following Docsis 3.0 Cisco modems.

DPC3000
DPC3208
DPC3825
DPC3925

The following Netgear modems

CG3000D-Wireless Gateway

tsduke
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Waterloo, IA

Even though Mediacom doesn't have a Mediacom support firmware for the SB6121 I've heard little to no issue with it. Mine has been rock solid since installing it.

joleme

same as tsduke, once I bought my sb6121 all my issues stopped.

CappinHoff

join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to sway0004

said by sway0004:

all those aren't good with mediacom the net gear has no good fireware and bonding issues on mediacom even if its comcast cert..

the surfboard 6121 doesnt have good bonding the previous version the sb6120 has firmware push from mediacom to fix bonding

the others i dont see them on the internet support so you may be good to go..

as for buying the modem i would buy anyone i see.. they let you use any docsis 3.0 but you wont know if it will bond till you hook it up... and do speed test for weeks ..

mediacom likes Cisco System and Cisco products and has a list on internet support forums
from »mediacomcable.com/CustomerSuppor···=11365.0
We support the following Docsis 3.0 Cisco modems.

DPC3000
DPC3208
DPC3825
DPC3925

The following Netgear modems

CG3000D-Wireless Gateway

Mediacom may like Cisco stuff, but the motorola surfboards by far perform the best on the service.

sway0004

join:2005-04-29
Oswego, IL

i would agree had a surfboard and loved it but since i rent mine for hardware failures.. mediacom has fried equipment in the past and figure they can eat the 100 if there is a problem.. when i move i get comcast.. so ill be buying me the sb 6120 or something close..

klmehaffy

Well... a bit more research and thinking, and I went with the Zoom 5341 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem. Hooked right up, fired right up, and my issues seem to be solved. Thanks all for the input!