spc
Search similar:

uniqs
klmehaffy
join:2013-01-20

klmehaffy

[Cable HSI] Help with selecting a new cable modem

OK,

Our home network (gigabit wired) has been going crazy with the internet connection for a few days. Drops connection, repeats 4-5 times an hour, esp if more than 1 person is on. Tried switching the router, same result, only other piece of equip on it are Mediacoms Cable Modem, and Phone Modem (going bye-bye monday). I ran some tests at speednet .. here are the results:

1. Ping 42 dl 2.06 ul 1.16
2. Ping 43 dl 4.12 ul 1.12
3. Ping 41 dl 13.47 ul 0.59

Now this is on Mediacoms top of the line internet speed package, and unless I am missing something, theres alot of speed missing.

I have been out searching for a new cable modem today, and reading all the posts. Scary stuff, looks easy to waste money. Anywho, locally I can only get these 4 modems:

1. Zoom 5341 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
2. Motorola SBG6580 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0
3. Netgear Model CMD31T
4. Motorola SURFboard® SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

Thoughts?

Lazy Senior
join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior

said by klmehaffy:

OK,
Scary stuff, looks easy to waste money. Anywho, locally I can only get these 4 modems:

Thoughts?

Buy locally from BB or Staples. If the modem does not work to your satisfaction, take modem back for refund. Then buy a different modem and try again. If the modem does not work out, take modem back for a refund. Repeat until you get a modem that works.

Not scary and impossible to waste money.....

FWIW I have used a Moto 6121 for 1 year on Mediacom without issue. Bought at BB and there was no reason to take back.
klmehaffy
join:2013-01-20

klmehaffy

I think I saw chad actually reccomend against the 6121 .. and I have seen a few things good on the Zoom so far
klmehaffy

klmehaffy

If I am not mistaken - Mediacom has issues firmware updating the 6121, and as a user, you cannot do it yourself

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

You can use the 6121, but we do not offer firmware at this time.
Gho5t
join:2010-11-11

Gho5t to klmehaffy

to klmehaffy
Ive got a sb6120 that works great.

Lazy Senior
join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL

1 edit

Lazy Senior to klmehaffy

to klmehaffy
said by klmehaffy:

If I am not mistaken - Mediacom has issues firmware updating the 6121, and as a user, you cannot do it yourself

There are probably over a dozen threads on the Moto 6121 here on the Mediacom Forum. Try Search for MUCH information .

The Moto 6121 is Doc 3 - a standard and is backwards compatible to 2.0.

Mediacom "should" adhere to the standards.

Many and I mean many users here use a Moto 6121 on Mediacom without issue. That being said, at this point in time I would not buy a new MOTO 6121. Instead Motorola has newer models recently introduced with the latest and greatest features. I would get one of those later models. I am sure Mediacom does not (will not) support those either!!!