Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

Mike

Mod

Far Cry 3

Ok I caved and broke a rule of mine. I bought a game at full price.

I don't do this because at full price you can assume it's buggy, incomplete, and nothing is optimized to run with it. By the time it's half price, it's probably fairly solid. I haven't been burned on this yet. I was hearing this was the modern game of the age of the universe and I finally broke down.

Far Cry 3 is interesting. Far Cry 2 is a better overall game for various reasons. The problem is FC3 is a victim of it's time. It's a game of today: that means awful. Let me explain.

Far Cry 2:
Install it, launch it.
Nice intro cinematic.
Story developed and really introduced into the environment.
Go get em champ.

Far Cry 3:
Install it, launch it.
INSTALL UPLAY
Go back to steam copy cd key, paste into uplay.
Actifuckingvation server down. Wait an hour, it's back (seriously happened)
Windows Firewall "LOL BRO WHATS THIS"
Do you want to link to Facebook or Twitter? See our Youtube page!!! I WILL STAB YOU IN THE HEART WITH MY FIST GET TO THE GAME.
Ugh whatever, launch game and you're watching a reality show.
Your first mission is in pitch black and your character whines the entire time.
No decent intro story, no theme.... is that a grand theft auto mini-map? GET OUT OF MY FAR CRY. DID I JUST GET A UPLAY ACHIEVEMENT FOR WATCHING THE FIRST CINEMATIC?
The menu system is also really bad. ESC to bring up, ESC 6 or 8 times (really) to go back to the game.

If you strip out, uplay, drm activation, social media cancer, achievements, nerfed wal-mart population hand holding game play, DLCs (which actually make a difference in game play), not everything needs a video tutorial, and other crap that is added into "modern games"... I would suspect it would be a pretty decent game.

Until then, it is the modern game of the year. That's the problem. It's a modern game.

Let me explain, through pictures of my level of anger.

»www.hiwiller.com/2010/04 ··· in-2010/

Stop breaking the fourth wall. Ubisoft obliterated the fourth wall, pissed on the rubble, then built a Walmart with a 24/7 McDonalds and Starbucks in it that you can unlock free admission for 200 Ubisoft Points. All I want to do is play a game.

I like the crafting system, throw rock is fun, customizing your character for play style is a little RPG but it somehow works. I suspect you can unlock everything at one point.

Over Far Cry 3. 5.5/10
Game without all of the stuff I was complaining about ignored; 8.5/10.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

FC2 is better? Man that is quite the indictment.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

FC2 is better? Man that is quite the indictment.

I have talk with others in various online games who say FC2 is better but FC3 shouldn't be counted out despite that. As for myself, I was still on the fence when it comes to purchasing FC3 but in light of a confirming review here, I will not be purchasing this one.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
So are you saying it's worth buying if you can strip out all the garbage? (I was under the impression that it was OK)

Sounds like this is a wait, rather than a buy right now.
primeomega
join:2004-03-11
De Pere, WI

primeomega to Mike

to Mike
I loved Far Cry 3, one of the few games I played from start to finish in a while.

After Ubisoft royally screwed me on HOMM6, I vowed never to give them a dime again. I will stick with that forever.

They never learn from there mistakes. It's sad because there have some great games out.

"If you strip out, uplay, drm activation, social media cancer, achievements, nerfed wal-mart population hand holding game play, DLCs (which actually make a difference in game play), not everything needs a video tutorial, and other crap that is added into "modern games"... I would suspect it would be a pretty decent game."

^ this could not have been said any better!

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike to El Quintron

Mod

to El Quintron
This is a wait. It's a good play but it's not $50 great.

FC3 is more dynamic and has great utility in not being repetitive like FC2, but FC2 was less annoying to play. I will admit I like being randomly stalked by animals and hey guess what I'm a snake in your face from no where. That makes it feel like a jungle.

However every time I unlock a village and get additional arcade mode levels I wince a bit.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
I got FC3 for free from a SSD purchase.

The game isn't that bad. The install process was fucking horrible. Everything that everyone says about skipping all that so you can pirate is so true.

The game itself wasn't bad at all. I'm not sure why you're complaining about having to hit escape all the time.

I haven't played it too far yet. I think I've got 90 minutes wrapped up in it. I think it'll build up really well, but with the RPG elements in it, it's starting to feel like a Red Dead Redemption.