uniqs
share rss forum feed

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

[Need Info] Audio compression sware to maximize bitrate/qual for

To expand on the subject line, here is the situation I am looking at: Got a car with a stock headunit that will play Mp3 and AAC files recorded to a CD. Do not want to replace it at the moment and am happy to use stock functionality. Software-wise: Ideally it would be cool to dump a bunch of audio files in and for a defined storage space limit, adjust the target collective bitrate to make it fit, maximizing space usage.

Kinda doubt something like this exists, but figured I'd ask anyways.

(And to clarify, Mp3 CD's are the only option with this unit outside of an aftermarket headunit which I am not after right now. No aux input, and FM modulators including the direct plug types are out of the question given quality concerns)
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

art22gg
Premium
join:2005-02-16
Courtenay, BC
kudos:6

Re: [Need Info] Audio compression sware to maximize bitrate/qual

Would this work for you?....

Link...»www.monkeysaudio.com/

Old Computer
Premium
join:2002-04-12
France
reply to Vchat20

AMHA, I would keep AAC+ files with an high Bitrate of 256 Kb/s or 320 Kb/s in a car unit.
AAC is much better at same Bitrate than mp3 and don't think your radio unit can read FlAC files (Compressed WAV) witch take more room than AAC+ but lossless .
About software WinAmp Pro , Nero aac or Itunes can do the job.

Vchat20
Premium
Columbus, OH
reply to Vchat20

I guess I should rephrase a little: I already have suitable amounts of encoding software and expertise. What I am wanting, more or less, is some kind of calculator (automated preferrably from start to finish with an encoded result) that I can throw in a selection of files and it will estimate the maximum bitrate that can be used while allowing it all to fit on a CD-R.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2001-01-09
Cambridge, MA
Reviews:
·MegaNet Communic..

1 recommendation

You can get a good estimate of total filesize if you know how many minutes of music you want to put onto the disc. If you throw everything into a playlist and then get the total length of the playlist, the rest is just algebra. Algebra that google-able folks already did for us... the equation is [bitrate]*15/2048 = megabytes per minute.

So, to take common bitrates as examples:

320k = 2.34MB/min or 140.6MB/hr = 4.98 hours per 700MB CD
256k = 1.875MB/min or 112.5MB/hr = 6.22 hours per 700MB CD
192k = 1.40MB/min or 84.375/hr = 8.3 hours per 700MB CD
128k = .9375MB/min or 56.25/hr = 12.44 hours per 700MB CD

Someone who has taken algebra more recently than 20 years ago could probably figure out an equation to actually solve for bitrate when given the total time and total storage space... but unfortunately I haven't done this in a long time and I have the flu, so I'm going to leave it at that and hope this is at least helpful in giving you a rough estimate of what you can do on a CD-R
--
I has a blog!

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
reply to Vchat20

There are numerous options available. Anything video related, I always check videohelp first: »www.videohelp.com/calc.htm
--
Google is your Friend

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2001-01-09
Cambridge, MA
Reviews:
·MegaNet Communic..

said by Dogg:

Anything video related, I always check videohelp first: »www.videohelp.com/calc.htm

It's not video related.
--
I has a blog!

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter

said by Sarah:

said by Dogg:

Anything video related, I always check videohelp first: »www.videohelp.com/calc.htm

It's not video related.

You are correct. My apologies. And while I can also find numerous audio bitrate calculators, I don't see nor do I know of any software that will adjust the bitrate on the fly to fill a disc.
--
Google is your Friend

Vchat20
Premium
Columbus, OH
reply to Vchat20

Thanks guys for all the help. I guess the manual route is the best I can accomplish at this time though. My main concern was that I actually have a large set of music that I 'like' and keep on an 8GB flash drive (music folder accounting for 5-6GB). Given it will not fit on a single cd and not wanting to constantly be swapping discs while driving, was hoping I could toss the whole shebang into a program and dwindle it down by my least liked music til it reached a suitable limit either by playtime or file size. Might just have to toss it in winamp and use the playlist window's playtime display to estimate by.
--

Vchat20
Premium
Columbus, OH
reply to Vchat20

Just wanted to update as I found something that comes close and was sufficient for my needs.

I use dbPoweramp fairly regularly and love it as a conversion application. It also includes a CD Writer app that ties into it. It gives and option to burn data cd's and has a 'smart' option where I can tell it that if the music being added is at or below a set bitrate it will convert automatically and also display a little used space bar at the bottom. I just told it to convert to around 140kbps so the audio quality is good enough but enough space. I think I have 180 songs on the cd now and still have about 225MB left.

Works good for my current needs.
--