Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Grethor
Today Is A Good Day To Format

join:2004-04-14
Tacoma, WA

[WIN8] Used up my activation allotment on one PC

I have reloaded and activated W8 on this same machine multiple times because of hardware issues. I am now using a different HD but the rest of the PC is the same. There are two things it is telling me"

"This product key is already being used on another PC. Try a different key, or buy a new one"

"The activation server reported that the product key has exceeded its unlock limit"

I clicked on "Contact Microsoft Customer Support" but all that does is call the activation number and wants me to enter in a new key.

How can I remedy this? I only have one computer using this key. I have reinstalled at least 3 times and then replaced the HD.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13
Call MS and talk to them

Cudni

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
reply to Grethor
It's been a while since I have had this happen, but I think if you go ahead and enter the problem key on the phone, you will get to a human or get a chance anyway.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to Grethor
Three times? I wouldn't have been so quick to reactive after the first time.

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
Reviews:
·CableOne
With Windows 8 we don't have much of a choice as to how long we can delay activation. My installation started demanding that it be activated on the day after the day of the install. That's either on day one or day two depending on how you count the days.

If the OP was having unresolved hardware problems after each reinstall/activation it is easy to see how he'd have used up his three free reinstalls - perhaps in less than a week.

sekim
Premium,MVM
join:1999-08-17
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:1
I installed/re-installed it maybe 10 times within a two week period. No problems with activation.

Gem
Premium
Good then.

How many times did you "activate" W8 within that two week period?

sekim
Premium,MVM
join:1999-08-17
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:1
I didn't have to activate.. it activated all on its own with me doing nothing each time.

craig70130
Premium
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA
said by sekim:

I didn't have to activate.. it activated all on its own with me doing nothing each time.

No problem if you were using the same hardware. The OP was replacing faulty hardware each time.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to sekim
said by sekim:

I installed/re-installed it maybe 10 times within a two week period. No problems with activation.

I've done at least 5 on the same system in a single day without issue.

craig70130
Premium
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA
said by urbanriot:

said by sekim:

I've done at least 5 on the same system in a single day without issue.

But was there a major hardware change between activations? That's what kicks off the need to activate again and/or activation failing.

Kerodo

join:2004-05-08
reply to Grethor
I don't know how things work in 8 for sure, but I know that in Win 7, I used up my activations and also changed HD's a few times. All I did was call the activate by phone number and never had any problems. If they don't have that option anymore in the activation window, then I'd do as Cudni recommended, and just call MS and try to talk to someone. They will fix things up quickly... They have always been very good when I talked to them.

Gem
Premium
reply to Grethor
If you call MSFT please let us know how things pan out after you've talked to them.

Specifically, if they let you reactivate your OS or tell you to take a hike.

Ryan
Premium
join:2001-03-03
Braintree, MA
reply to Grethor
I had the same problem (replaced a motherboard). Its literally a 10 min call alnd I never actually talked to a person. A computer simply asked for my activation code after I entered that it asked me how many computers do I currently have my license installed on at which point I said 1 and then it gave me a new activation code.

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Grethor
Win 8 should be able to reinstalled 1000 times on the same PC (one PC), you may have done more then was told above.

You will have to call and explain and maybe they will give you a new code that will unlock it.

To not have these problems, you can backup the activate file and save them so you can restore the activation after you reinstall on the same PC you backed up.

There are 3 party utils to do this for you also, just search for them.
I use one from Josh Cell