Sukunai
Premium
join:2008-05-07
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to Gone Fishing

Re: [Info] Windows 8 Pricing Goes Back to Normal

Well in the end, I would be inclined to agree, that 7 does everything I need it to do.

Right till you need to re install it.

Now I am of course happy to hear of all those that proudly claim to have no need to re install an OS. Wonderful, your world never has anything change in it, and nothing ever happens to your computer

I'd still be using 7 if not for the fact that occasionally I do modify my computers. And re installing 7 while not a traumatic experience, is still never the less more pain than it needed to be.

8 being new, it isn't dragging around a couple of years of accumulated updates/patches, as we all know MS and the world of computers at large never stops changing.

I first thought I would only require 8 as a tablet OS. I likely will continue to consider it just a tablet OS. But it doesn't come with a couple of years of accumulated baggage either.

Good luck not requiring to need to re install your OS though.
I have done it often enough to know it is more than enough effort updating and patching.

My desktop is still running 7, and likely will expire and still be running 7. It's not worth the effort to modify that computer. It's just a means to watch Netflix on to me. I am lucky it is even running, as last November it was nearly pronounced dead

But my laptop likes 8 enough. And I hate needing to spend undo effort maintaining it.

There is nothing like a new OS to eliminate a lot of updates and patches. Not that it won't need them. I won't say 8 is perfect and without it's own eventual baggage. In 2-3 years, it likely will be time to give 8 the boot as well. Just so long as they offer it for peanuts first.
I'd gladly re install an older OS even with all the effort instead of giving MS 200 bucks.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
said by Sukunai:

8 being new, it isn't dragging around a couple of years of accumulated updates/patches, as we all know MS and the world of computers at large never stops changing. ...

There is nothing like a new OS to eliminate a lot of updates and patches. ...

I laughed when I read this, because right after my first boot into Win 8 Pro, Windows Update informed me that it needed to install some Critical Updates. Some 450 MB worth!