spc
Search similar:

uniqs
AndrewW
join:2009-03-07
Toronto, ON

AndrewW

Kim Dotcom's New Mega Service

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck registering an account with Kim Dotcom's new Mega service? Both mega.net.nz and mega.co.zn seem to be down at least for me.

Kosh
We are all Kosh
Premium Member
join:2005-11-16
Z'ha'dum

Kosh

Premium Member

I haven't tried since yesterday. Kim's twitter posts were showing the site getting SLAMMED, which is to be expected with all the press around it.

freakout9903
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
Gastonia, NC

freakout9903 to AndrewW

Premium Member

to AndrewW
Open up Google Chrome, download it if you don't have it. Then go here: »mega.co.nz . Enjoy :)

https://

^^the part everyone seems to be forgetting about.
AndrewW
Toronto, ON

AndrewW

I have Google Chrome, but when I follow your link and try to go to »mega.co.nz/ , I get a SSL connection error (Error 107).

Kosh
We are all Kosh
Premium Member
Z'ha'dum

Kosh to freakout9903

Premium Member

to freakout9903
Doesn't work in Chrome or Firefox right now, regardless of HTTPS.
det427
Premium Member
join:2004-01-31
Santa Rosa, CA

det427

Premium Member

Works for me: Windows 8; IE 10

Had to reload to get it to work

Metal Head
Premium Member
join:2001-02-15
Escondido, CA

Metal Head to Kosh

Premium Member

to Kosh
I got it to work with both FF18 and Chrome with a little luck.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol to AndrewW

Premium Member

to AndrewW
Was working fine yesterday, i got in within the first hour. Now it seems to be completely down due to demand.

Kosh
We are all Kosh
Premium Member
Z'ha'dum

1 edit

Kosh to Metal Head

Premium Member

to Metal Head
Click for full size
Yeah, it took a few reloads but it did come up. Just registered an account. The site advises against my browser (Palemoon 15.4) because of HTML5 support.

(edit: added screenshot) Has a distinct Dropbox-y feel to it, but is said to be more secure because of encryption. I won't upload anything for a while to avoid slamming them.

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to AndrewW

to AndrewW
Many have joined the new site
»www.guardian.co.uk/techn ··· a-launch

"They can't blame me for the actions of third parties. Megaupload was a dual-use technology. You can use it for good things, and you can use it for bad things. If someone sends something illegal in an envelope through your postal service, you don't shut down the post office. If someone speeds with the car he just bought, you don't go to the car manufacturer and say, hey, we're shutting you down."
AndrewW
Toronto, ON

AndrewW to Kosh

to Kosh
said by Kosh:

Yeah, it took a few reloads but it did come up. Just registered an account. The site advises against my browser (Palemoon 15.4) because of HTML5 support.

(edit: added screenshot) Has a distinct Dropbox-y feel to it, but is said to be more secure because of encryption. I won't upload anything for a while to avoid slamming them.

Which website are you using? When I check mega.co.nz here »www.websitedown.info/mega.co.zn , it tells me that the site is down for everyone.

Kosh
We are all Kosh
Premium Member
Z'ha'dum

Kosh

Premium Member

I used mega.co.nz. The issue right now is just very high demand, so access is going to be intermittent. They just weren't ready for the demand. Probably should have spent more money on server capacity and less on the Opening ceremony! (I liked the Maori singers though).
AndrewW
Toronto, ON

AndrewW

Eureka! Success at last! After a couple of dozen tries, I finally managed to get through to the Mega site and register an account.

Now I would like to know how exactly do they collect “entropy from your mouse movements and keystroke timings”?

BTW, I enjoyed the singers as well!

MSauk
MSauk
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT

MSauk to AndrewW

Premium Member

to AndrewW
Well the site loads at least, but I still can't actually log in.

I was able to register last night at around 2:30am MST, but since then I was able to actually load the website.

It is 4:44pm MST and still not able to log in to see the actual backside of it
AndrewW
Toronto, ON

AndrewW

I'm in the same boat right now. When I tried to create a folder within Mega, it completely stalled my session. Since I closed and then reopened my browser, I have been unable to log back in. Worse yet through Chrome I get only the cogs turning when trying to load the site. Through Mozilla, it just stalls when I try to log in using my newly created credentials. Hopefully it will become usable in the not too distant future.
Rojo31
join:2009-04-14
New York, NY

Rojo31 to AndrewW

to AndrewW
Registered (finally) OK. Logged in (finally) OK.

Tried to upload a test file around 400MB. Said free account is limited to 50MB. And it didn't like my browser.

Tried uploading the same file with Firefox. Didn't object to the browser or size this time, but the upload failed anyway.

They keep pushing Chrome as the only acceptable browser. Hope all this is just start up pains.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to AndrewW

Premium Member

to AndrewW
Where is the pricing?

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium Member
join:2003-09-18
Lard

THZNDUP

Premium Member

Figured a pic is worth a slow web site or a thousand words which ever comes first........

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to AndrewW

Premium Member

to AndrewW
wow they wasted no time going after him again. After spending so many crazy millions to go after this guy the industry can not afford to let him win. They spent so much going after him and making sure it was huge news so if they lose it will set them back big time in their eyes.

»torrentfreak.com/dotcoms ··· -130121/
AndrewW
Toronto, ON

AndrewW

Rather than they, it looks like one guy is going after Kim by trying to cut off Kim's access to any payment system. I doubt this guy will be successful in shutting down Mega. Mega and even Megaupload's business models are/were both sound from a copyright infringement perspective. Remember it was Kim's alleged extracurricular activity which got him and some of his pals into trouble the first time around.
AndrewW

AndrewW to Rojo31

to Rojo31
said by Rojo31:

Registered (finally) OK. Logged in (finally) OK.

Tried to upload a test file around 400MB. Said free account is limited to 50MB. And it didn't like my browser.

Tried uploading the same file with Firefox. Didn't object to the browser or size this time, but the upload failed anyway.

They keep pushing Chrome as the only acceptable browser. Hope all this is just start up pains.

I finally got past the cogs turning in Chrome when trying to load the Mega site! Unfortunately when I tried to upload a 900 Byte test file, it stalled at 0% uploaded and infinity as the estimated remaining time. Next time I will try something smaller like a 10 Byte file. Were you able to load your test file at last?
Rojo31
join:2009-04-14
New York, NY

Rojo31

No. I shut down and lost interest.
Bananafarmer
join:2012-12-14

Bananafarmer to AndrewW

to AndrewW
i got registered fine, havnt attempted an upload as yet.

i hear reports of a lot of infringing material already online on the service. will be an interesting watch.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

but being as everything is uploaded encrypted can kim and crew even tell if someone uploads copyrighted work? If that is the case I look for them to get sued by the government again and saying CP pervs are using the serve.
AndrewW
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

AndrewW

Initially I believed that everything uploaded was encrypted and Mega had no way of telling what it was since they did not retain any keys for decrypting. However it is difficult to see how this can be true when Mega states it will delete your upload if it detects that your uploaded file has already been uploaded by someone else at which point you will have access to someone else's upload instead of the file you uploaded. How can they determine if the files are identical if they do not have the encryption keys?
AndrewW

AndrewW to Bananafarmer

to Bananafarmer
said by Bananafarmer:

i got registered fine, havnt attempted an upload as yet.

i hear reports of a lot of infringing material already online on the service. will be an interesting watch.

I've seen some of these early reports as well. I believe the reports so far are by alarmists in the copyright protection business and of questionable validity. For large scale infringing to be occurring the first thing that needs to happen is the ability to upload files to Mega. Since I can't even upload a 900 byte text file as of now, it is hard to believe that any infringing is going on at present.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

hell I never got my email after joining the site to click the link to start my account. Interesting on the file thing that is one thing that got them the first time they would not remove the copyright file but just the link to it then make it available again when someone tried to upload it again.
sandman_1
join:2011-04-23

sandman_1 to AndrewW

to AndrewW
Have any of you read the privacy policy and ToS yet? Doesn't look like your personal info is exactly private or safe.

Also on top of that, they can terminate your service, delete your files (even if they may be legit/legal), and you are responsible for users who may have your key.
quote:
We reserve the right to remove data alleged to be infringing without prior notice, at our sole discretion, and without liability to you. In appropriate circumstances, we will will also terminate your account if you are determined to be a repeat infringer. Our designated copyright agent for notice of alleged copyright infringement is:

quote:
43. We reserve the right to disclose data and other information as required by law.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

yeah that has been talked about. What I want to know if the files are so called encrypted how do they know WTF you uploaded?

Really all you got to do is just give the keys to people you know or on a site then just encrypt the file itself before you upload it and put that key on the site or give it to your buddy's.
sandman_1
join:2011-04-23

sandman_1

I just don't see the value in it, considering. I could probably get a file locker much cheaper, if I wanted to, somewhere else, if I just wanted to share with my buddies. RAR encrypt it, reame it to something very obscure, send link and password to buddies, done. Or do same and upload to Usenet and send buddy nzb with rar password.