uniqs
share rss forum feed

AndrewW

join:2009-03-07
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
reply to habskilla

Re: Kim Dotcom's New Mega Service

That's great to hear. You inspired me to try to upload a 200 MB file. It started uploading at about 400KB/sec and slowly went up to about 1 MB/sec, stalled for about a minute and then resumed at 1.2 MB/sec until the upload was finished. Looks like there is hope for this service after all.

Keep us posted on how it goes with your upload.

komal

join:2003-02-16
reply to AndrewW
said by AndrewW:

Initially I believed that everything uploaded was encrypted and Mega had no way of telling what it was since they did not retain any keys for decrypting. However it is difficult to see how this can be true when Mega states it will delete your upload if it detects that your uploaded file has already been uploaded by someone else at which point you will have access to someone else's upload instead of the file you uploaded. How can they determine if the files are identical if they do not have the encryption keys?

What? Seriously?

You'd do it the exact same was as if the file wasn't encrypted, you'd compare it to another file.

Realistically, its done with hashes.

But I just wanted to point out what you're saying doesn't make any sense.

An encrypted file is just as unique as an unecrypted file.

AndrewW

Toronto, ON
Seriously? Ya, seriously.

If you have trouble understanding what I have written perhaps you may better understand what Arstechnica wrote on the subject when they stated, 'If Mega only sees encrypted data, which by definition is all completely unique, how then can they be "deduplicating" it? Is something fishy going on?'. See here, »arstechnica.com/business/2013/01···ryption/ , and Mega's response here, »t.co/lNWa1KCP . The Hacker News debate is here, »news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5084261 and has not been settled.

Note from Mega's response they suggest that this removal would only happen if by some very, very remote chance the SAME RANDOM 128 BIT KEY were used in the encryption process on the same file multiple times or if the encrypted file was moved to other folders or users. This suggests that deduplication by Mega would happen rarely.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
I think it's more they want to cover their ass just a little bit too. Lets face it the guy would love to hurt the MPAA and RIAA all he could after what they did to him.

AndrewW

Toronto, ON
reply to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

hell I never got my email after joining the site to click the link to start my account.

Did you finally get your confirmation e-mail? According to Kim Dotcom some mail services are blocking Mega's e-mails including Hotmail.

AndrewW

Toronto, ON
reply to AndrewW
Although Mega seems to be a Mega hit with millions signing up, it would appear those living in North America are not as enthusiastic about the service. The top five countries using the service so far are Spain, Brazil, France, Netherlands & New Zealand with Germany pulling up fast. I wonder if spotty upload speeds in North America are to blame. I find that uploads start slow with frequent stalling but finish quite strong.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to AndrewW
nopes. I'll just make an account with my gmail then. ok signed up with my gmail account email come in an instant. damn 50GB for free that is a lot.

AndrewW

Toronto, ON
That 50 gigs sure is nice. I look forward to some of the other stuff that may be coming soon.

Apparently one of Mega's partners is working on an API app that would allow for the streaming of encrypted video through this service. If the thing works and they get their bandwidth issues sorted out then this could be really interesting. May get the copyright folks really worked up. Already Mega's inaugural video has been pulled (at least temporarily and is now restored after Kim filed a counterclaim against YouTube) from YouTube at the demand of one of the music rights groups(GEMA).

Davy49

join:2007-04-10
Waxahachie, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to AndrewW
Hello All,
I signed up for a 'free' account @ »mega.co.nz/ , it states the following in the 'help centre area under basics': " How do I install MEGA?
You do not need to install anything. MEGA is entirely browser based and works with all current major browsers. To unleash MEGA's full potential, we strongly urge you to use Google Chrome only."
I can atest to the fact that the software does indeed work MUCH better on google chrome, when trying to use it with ms internet explorer, I keep receiving a 'popup' stating due to HTML5 issue's with internet explorer, use the google chrome browser.
David

AndrewW

Toronto, ON
Hi David,

I've been using Google Chrome right from the start and had slow speed/stalling issues which have finally disappeared. Today's 1 gig upload was buttery smooth at 1.2 MB/sec throughout. I believe the earlier issues were upstream of me and not issues on my computer. It is not surprising that Mega had bandwidth issues handling the global flood of data of biblical proportions that hit their servers.

Speaking of which, if most of the uploaded files to Mega are infringing then the copyright police have a huge job ahead of them given that tens of millions of file have been uploaded (some 500 every second) with only 50 takedown requests implying a takedown rate of only one in a million files which are lottery odds basically. To keep up, the take down police would have to file 500 takedown requests a second which would seem to be nearly impossible or at least cost prohibitive. Even if only 10% of the files were infringing and they knew which ones they were, they would still have to take down about 180,000 files per hour 24/7. That is what is more commonly known as an exercise in futility.

On a side note, Kim Dotcom may have to be ever more vigilant as pertaining to his safety as a loose wire may be responsible for bringing down his chopper yesterday. Was this a accident or someone sending him a message?

AndrewW

Toronto, ON
reply to AndrewW
The Mega indexing site, »mega-search.me/ , is back up and indexing Mega content. I guess they found a way around the Mega block. Filestube has had no problems so far with the Mega block. See here, »www.filestube.com/look_for.html?···&page=12