share rss forum feed

spock

join:2012-07-08
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to rustydusty

Re: Shaw SLOW speed internet

said by rustydusty:

The battle between cable vs telco will live on forever. Cable you can have saturation issues, telco you have distance issues. As of right now cable wins, for a simple reason of better speeds and plans. Telus just unofficially released a 50x10 plan, however it's not available everywhere, where as Shaw's 50Mb is available to their entire foot print.

What sort of disadvantage do you see with GPON?

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
The fact that very few people can get it.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to spock
Hardware costs is about the biggest I can think of. The telco will most likely soak the cost up for all of the required hardware, which is why the rollout of GPON won't be fast. Plus the cost of laying the fiber in an entire neighbourhood wouldn't be cheap. It would be future proofing, as a single fiber into a home can do everything, plus they are helping themselves out for 5-10 years down the road when everyone wants fiber.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
Let the municipality or another company put in the fiber, and then whatever service provider wants to provide service to a customer can.

Similiar to the electric/gas companies in Alberta, a single company manages the lines to the home, but then any company can provide service.

In this case, would be speed, throttling rules.

I would much rather the municipality do it though, as there wouldn't be so much call for profit in 'maintaining' the lines.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.