dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r to evil_gusgus

to evil_gusgus

Re: [Cable] Youtube lags at night still, upgrade cache servers?

said by evil_gusgus:

Jon F from TSI is looking into it. Obviously something is wrong when it defaults to 360p on a 1080p video.

I do not believe this is a configuration/user issue...I know for sure it is not something on my end. This is a capacity issue...They either don't have enough caching servers given the traffic or TSI or Youtube's caching servers are just too slow for TSI users in Eastern Ontario....

I wonder if anyone on TSI in the West is experiencing these issues? I doubt it though, they are most likely using Google's own caching servers which I'm going to assume are faster than TSI's. However, I have not investigated myself further so I don't know who is to the blame...To figuire that out, I'd have to see which server I'm connecting to when playing a 1080p video for example.
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy

said by d4m1r:

said by evil_gusgus:

Jon F from TSI is looking into it. Obviously something is wrong when it defaults to 360p on a 1080p video.

I do not believe this is a configuration/user issue...I know for sure it is not something on my end. This is a capacity issue...They either don't have enough caching servers given the traffic or TSI or Youtube's caching servers are just too slow for TSI users in Eastern Ontario....

I wonder if anyone on TSI in the West is experiencing these issues? I doubt it though, they are most likely using Google's own caching servers which I'm going to assume are faster than TSI's. However, I have not investigated myself further so I don't know who is to the blame...To figuire that out, I'd have to see which server I'm connecting to when playing a 1080p video for example.

They just added capacity and that didn't do anything to fix the issue. Honestly, I'm starting to think it's a flash issue or a configuration issue as it's not exclusive to YouTube. Metacafe and other video streaming are having the same issues.

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r

said by JMJimmy:

They just added capacity and that didn't do anything to fix the issue. Honestly, I'm starting to think it's a flash issue or a configuration issue as it's not exclusive to YouTube. Metacafe and other video streaming are having the same issues.

I do not use other video streaming sites, but by the diagnostics, this is a TSI or Google issue, not at the node, POI, home network, PCs, etc.

I'm thinking the TSI youtube caching servers are either slow or overloaded. Ideally, I would ALWAYS pull video's from Google's own servers (even if they are in CA) because with my connection speed, I don't care if the content is remote as buffering should be minimal. As well Google will have better control and knowledge of their own hardware than a local ISP (no offense to TSI). Not to mention capacity....
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy

Doesn't explain Metacafe/other video services being slow

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe

Premium Member

We've checked and re-checked on our end and with Google. Everything is fine with the caching servers. We've reached out to the customers that have complained about the slow youtube streaming and a large majority have said that the issue has been fixed since google upgraded the node. Whatever is going on still is likely something else altogether. Either an issue with flash like it was pointed out or just plain congestion on your local connection.

Obviously we'll look into whatever it is but at this point I don't believe the caching servers are to blame
TSI Gabe

TSI Gabe

Premium Member

I'd also like to point out that Google manages the servers and we have no control over them other than where they sit in our network. We just have to make sure they have a big enough pipe which they do. (30Gbps total).

We had Google check on the users that provided their IP addresses and made sure they were being "served" properly. Everything checks out.

evil_gusgus
join:2008-04-14
London, ON

1 edit

evil_gusgus

said by TSI Gabe:

I'd also like to point out that Google manages the servers and we have no control over them other than where they sit in our network. We just have to make sure they have a big enough pipe which they do. (30Gbps total).

We had Google check on the users that provided their IP addresses and made sure they were being "served" properly. Everything checks out.

Are any of the cable POI's congested at peek times?

EDIT: I'm on the London (York) POI 28/1

Both 720p and 1080p both keep stopping having to buffer. I tried both flash and HTML5, both have buffering issues.